Arrau Beethoven Sonatas

Started by josephine85, January 14, 2016, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: josephine85 on January 17, 2016, 09:24:10 AM
Goulds name has come up up a lot here in this thread that was originally created for Arrau. Not that I mind, because I think he is very interesting. Regardless if you have a positive or negative view of him - or rather his music - he always seems to create a discussion, which I think is great! I could not see a discussion starting with Arraus Beethoven and be overtaken by a discussion about Brendel :D
This led me to listen to a few other samples of Goulds Beethoven Sonatas,  Op27 No1 and by the spooky (2:nd?) movement I was spellbound! Now I know that some people dedicate their lives to his persona and music and I don't want to become one of them. But I have to admit that I never have been captivated by a Beethoven Sonata that way before.
Now have to get both Goulds and Arraus set... Oh Beethoven, why did you have to compose music that can be interpreted in so many ways!

Ah yes, op 27/1 was what I meant when I said op 14/1 (in my defence the Moonlight is sonata 14)

Just to confuse matters, Arrau is also amazing in it, not in any of the studio recordings but here

[asin]B00002064X[/asin]
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen