Carlo Gesualdo Prince of Venosa

Started by bwv 1080, January 15, 2016, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwv 1080

Really no thread for this Latin ladykiller?

Here is a start, Werner Herzog's 1995 Documentary is on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/20697667

and then go buy this:

snyprrr

Quote from: bwv 1080 on January 15, 2016, 07:40:46 AM

and then go buy this:

??? :o ???

Great title

R U Shure? Seems Criminal...

I remember Penguin touting Gesualdo, and me falling for it, and then not being able to handel it... can't remember which one

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

I have those mentioned above, but here's my favorite:

[asin]B009ZEHNH0[/asin]

San Antone

Gesualdo da Venosa : the music, not the life

Almost exactly one year ago I wrote a short overview of Carlo Gesualdo on the occasion of his 450th birthday, March 8, 1566. I have to admit that I am not entirely pleased with that short article since it played into the recurring stereotype of Gesualdo as an unhinged murdering count. While it is true that he did have his wife and her lover killed, his was not the only case of this type in Italy during the 16th century. In fact, as the article on Gesualdo in Grove Music Online makes clear, a cuckolded party was by the custom of the time required to act as he did.

I plan to spend the rest of this article on his music and leave the sordid details of the murder alone.

king ubu

Quote from: The new erato on January 15, 2016, 08:17:52 AM
I have those mentioned above, but here's my favorite:

[asin]B009ZEHNH0[/asin]

Yay! Awesome disc!

It's been a while but I remember this being an intriguing read:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/12/19/prince-of-darkness
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Scion7

Quote from: snyprrr on January 15, 2016, 08:05:04 AM
I remember Penguin touting Gesualdo, and me falling for it, and then not being able to handel it... can't remember which one

That's where you err'd - that guide is absolutely useless.  Some of the worst critical opinions I've ever read.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

schnittkease

What is the GMG consensus (if any) on the madrigals? Hilliard, Kassiopeia, La Compagnia?

TheGSMoeller

and then go buy this:

Herzog's documentary is very well made, I really enjoyed it. And a great recommendation there as well. I would also like to add this disc to the list of fine Gesualdo albums...

amw

Quote from: schnittkease on June 25, 2018, 07:07:37 PM
What is the GMG consensus (if any) on the madrigals? Hilliard, Kassiopeia, La Compagnia?
Compagnia/Venexiana or Kassiopeia, both are great, although the first is not complete.

zamyrabyrd

"Tenebrae" is not exactly "death", in fact, it isn't. Translation from Latin should be "darkness" or "shadows".

"Tenebrae" is a religious service of Western Christianity held during the three days preceding Easter, and characterized by gradual extinguishing of candles, and by a "strepitus" or "loud noise" taking place in total darkness near the end of the service.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Carlo Gesualdo

Who would play Carlo Gesualdo= Christian Bale of course who would play Donna Maria=, one cute Italian lady?

The Uncle of Gesualdo would have to be Robert de Niro.

The film would be 3h30 long a big production film in Italy rural area, I.e Ferrara, Venosa.

It would follow Gesualdo from early life to middle life to his death, it's would be a drama since murder is involved in his story and follow mythos of is life.

There were a real film on Mozart, Beethoven than why not Gesualdo he seems like an interesting character for a movie. The movie would be neutral like a chronical of days of his life. I'm sorry to say this but Herzog movie Death for five voices kinda s(word), why not a real movie not some crappy mockumentary.

Carlo Gesualdo

I'm firmlt convinced Deller's consort pulled out a magnificiant Gesualdo, in term of warm voice, cathartic darkness, but also believe the one done by Hilliard is incredible for it's era.

I like Deller's more but Hilliard not too far away?

This is one of these one zillion dollars question, no one can't answer this, on whom put out a better result or reenndiition of Gesualdo works, I mean Hillard in the past done a wonderful: Pérotin and Gombert (Media vita).While Deller's I know only little of there released total in renaissance, perhaps lesser than Hilliard, so by default Hilliard win, this is a logic that as none, but someone time thing , want out of hands and drastic conclusion like this occur in the end...

Carlo Gesualdo

and then go buy this:

To my knowledge, thee boy know a lot, has zillion Gesualdo 's albums, I'm only exaggerating a bit,, I got him in download media's, CD's, LP's media  I have them all  or almost all... I'm a Gesualdo fanatic, devoted of his music, I don't glorified what criminal he did, but is music reek pure therein of Geniuses at work here in this late 16th century era.

Carlo Gesualdo

If your a hipster, you heard from your friend into classical Moro Lasso is the peak of oddity of Gesualdo, this is false Gia piansi nel dolore is way more crazy in sense to me, whom agree whit me?

Mandryka

This is my most recent Gesualdo, or quasi-Gesualdo, find.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

This also, in a similar spirit to the Klaus Huber, is outstanding

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on November 15, 2020, 09:05:20 AM

This is my most recent Gesualdo, or quasi-Gesualdo, find.

Thanks Mandryka  8)

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on November 15, 2020, 10:34:36 AM
Thanks Mandryka  8)

Huber is  good in a very serious and deep way. What I think of, rightly or wrongly, as Teutonic seriousness.