Louis Glass (1864-1936)

Started by vandermolen, January 21, 2016, 04:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Indeed,I'm having to resist for a bit longer. There have been so many interesting releases recently;and so many irresistible s/h bargains! In the last few weeks I've been unable to resist two s/h cd opera and operetta sets offered by a certain ubiquitous seller of s/h & new cd's. Sellers usually asking high prices. They were on my 'want' list. What could I do?!! (Resist,of course!! ;D)  Also a pre-order of the new Bfi restoration of the classic French movie,The wages of Fear,which I wanted to show my 85 year old father,which suddenly got sent out after waiting for over a year!! (It arrived today).
They keep coming! English postbox (MDT) have the Louis Glass at a very good price. Let's see how long I can resist,eh?!! ::) (Not very long,probably!!)
Luckily my priority list is pretty short,now!

cilgwyn

I'm obviously of weak character! ::) I just bought the cd!! ;D It seems Vol 2 of the Cpo Louis Glass series will soon be on the way!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 24, 2017, 09:44:52 AMI'm obviously of weak character! ::) I just bought the cd!! ;D It seems Vol 2 of the Cpo Louis Glass series will soon be on the way!
No you're not cilgwyn and don't berate yourself too much - the temptation must have been unbearable.  8)
I'm delighted to reassure you that you will not be disappointed. The CD of Glass's 5th Symphony is terrific - one of my CDs of the year. I enjoyed the old Marco Polo CD but this one made a far greater impression upon me. At times the symphony reminded me of Glazunov, Peterson-Berger, Simonsen, Rachmaninov, Nielsen and, in the coda, Bruckner. The big surprise for me here was the earlier work for piano and orchestra which notwithstanding a declamatory opening and closing section, seemed reminiscent of the dreamy piano writing of Cyril Scott. Beautiful cover art concludes a wonderful release in all respects.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I'm glad you like it! :) I got mine today,actually. MDT were very quick. To be honest,I only bought it then,because I couldn't stand the thought of you hearing it before me;when I'm the one who keeps droning on about Louis Glass! ::) ;D I must admit,I liked the 'declamatory' opening,as you refer to it (but liked the remainder). I'll need another more careful listen,though. But the whole cd was thoroughly enjoyable. Well worth the suspense Cpo put me though,waiting for Vol 2 (Will there,won't there....be another one?!! ::)). I'm hoping they will do the large scale Fourth symphony next;as that was the one that impressed me most,after No 5 & 3,from the Plovdiv cycle (and the Fifth from another recording). But any one of them will do? I can't wait to see what this team will do with the remainder. But yes,this is a fantastic cd release. A cd of the year,among quite a few exciting releases in the last few months. 

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 26, 2017, 08:41:50 AM
I'm glad you like it! :) I got mine today,actually. MDT were very quick. To be honest,I only bought it then,because I couldn't stand the thought of you hearing it before me;when I'm the one who keeps droning on about Louis Glass! ::) ;D I must admit,I liked the 'declamatory' opening,as you refer to it (but liked the remainder). I'll need another more careful listen,though. But the whole cd was thoroughly enjoyable. Well worth the suspense Cpo put me though,waiting for Vol 2 (Will there,won't there....be another one?!! ::)). I'm hoping they will do the large scale Fourth symphony next;as that was the one that impressed me most,after No 5 & 3,from the Plovdiv cycle (and the Fifth from another recording). But any one of them will do? I can't wait to see what this team will do with the remainder. But yes,this is a fantastic cd release. A cd of the year,among quite a few exciting releases in the last few months.
Delighted to hear that you liked it.  :) Great cover art too and interesting explanation of awkward 'Svastika' associations. Very sorry that I heard the CD before you. You must have felt like Captain Scott arriving at the South Pole only to find the flag of Amundsen and the husky dog traces.  8) You have to understand that we are very competitive here on GMG Forum.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

On the plus side;unlike Amundsen,it seems you only beat me by a few hours! ::) ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 26, 2017, 09:23:19 AM
On the plus side;unlike Amundsen,it seems you only beat me by a few hours! ::) ;D
Quite true.  8)

Symphonic Addict

Today I revisited the Symphony No. 1 and, despite what the performance offers (the maligned Danacord recording featuring the Plovdiv P.O.), I can assuredly say I enjoyed it very much. A sunny, optimistic work in a mild late-Romantic idiom. The work does need more confident playing to be entirely convincing, and I'm pretty sure CPO will deliver a satisfactory performance in due time.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky