Louis Glass (1864-1936)

Started by vandermolen, January 21, 2016, 04:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Can't see any thread for this interesting Danish composer. I especially enjoy Symphony 5 'Svastika' (nothing to do with the Nazis I'm pleased to say). It was written in 1919 and is a melodic/pastoral type symphony with a very catchy theme in the opening movement. The musical language is late-romantic and approachable. Apparently Glass was enthusiastic about the music of Bruckner and his music does show Austro-Germanic influences as well as that of the Danish composer Niels Gade, with whom he studied but the music is forward looking too. Anyway, I enjoy his music. There is an earlier recording conducted by Launy Grondahl and CPO are currently issuing a cycle of Glass's symphonies. Apologies if a thread already existed but it is not on the index of composer threads devised by the much missed Lethe:
[asin]B000024OHP[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

A new recording of Louis Glass' Fifth Symphony,coupled with his Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra was released in Germany on July 25th. Not available in the UK,yet. Although,you can order it from Jpc (I'll wait!).Great news,imho,that the Cpo Louis Glass symphony cycle is continuing. I enjoyed their previous release,of the third symphony and the Suite (Summer Life) that accompanied it. What a difference to that terrible Danacord recording with the Plovdiv  Philharmonic Orchestra. What on earth came over Danacord to release such a dire recordings and performances of these symphonies? It certainly did poor Louis Glass' reputation no favours. The Cpo recording,with it's first rate recording and excellent performance revealed a lovely,late romantic symphony and a beautiful,near,half hour Suite,that was possibly,arguably,even finer? Hopefully,further releases from Cpo can convince me of the remainder. The Danacord performances and recording quality being of such poor quality I decided to do Louis Glass a favour and reserve judgement until they got a better,and at least,competent hearing!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 13, 2017, 12:40:21 PM
A new recording of Louis Glass' Fifth Symphony,coupled with his Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra was released in Germany on July 25th. Not available in the UK,yet. Although,you can order it from Jpc (I'll wait!).Great news,imho,that the Cpo Louis Glass symphony cycle is continuing. I enjoyed their previous release,of the third symphony and the Suite (Summer Life) that accompanied it. What a difference to that terrible Danacord recording with the Plovdiv  Philharmonic Orchestra. What on earth came over Danacord to release such a dire recordings and performances of these symphonies? It certainly did poor Louis Glass' reputation no favours. The Cpo recording,with it's first rate recording and excellent performance revealed a lovely,late romantic symphony and a beautiful,near,half hour Suite,that was possibly,arguably,even finer? Hopefully,further releases from Cpo can convince me of the remainder. The Danacord performances and recording quality being of such poor quality I decided to do Louis Glass a favour and reserve judgement until they got a better,and at least,competent hearing!

Very good news indeed! Thank you cilgwyn for alerting us to these releases. I recall that Rob Barnett of Musicweb was very enthusiastic about Glass's Symphony 5 'Svastika'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

A few days ago I played the Symphony 3 on Spotify (cpo recording). I found it very satisfying, delectable. I like the Glass' style. Neither is overblown nor too quiet, it has a correct dosage both of emotion and power.

cilgwyn

It's nice to share the same opinion of a symphony,with you,this time! :) A lovely symphony. I like the Suite,too. Delectable,yes! :) :) :)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 23, 2017, 01:52:35 PM
It's nice to share the same opinion of a symphony,with you,this time! :) A lovely symphony. I like the Suite,too. Delectable,yes! :) :) :)

The Suite is awaiting for me

;)  :D  8)

vandermolen

The bright and sunny cover image suggests that this symphony might be too cheerful for me. I prefer an image of lowering darkness suggesting looming catastrophe.

Still, the sample extracts on Amazon sounded very nice.

cilgwyn

It also helps that it has one very hummable tune. I seem to recall one critic writing that it sounded like the theme tune for My Favourite Martian!! Well,I wouldn't know,as I never saw the show. Bill Bixby,who played David Banner in the 70's tv show,The Incredible Hulk,was in it. Hope that doesn't put you off,vandermolen! ??? ;D

My Favourite Martian

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 24, 2017, 06:54:48 AM
It also helps that it has one very hummable tune. I seem to recall one critic writing that it sounded like the theme tune for My Favourite Martian!! Well,I wouldn't know,as I never saw the show. Bill Bixby,who played David Banner in the 70's tv show,The Incredible Hulk,was in it. Hope that doesn't put you off,vandermolen! ??? ;D

My Favourite Martian
I always rather liked 'My Favourite Martian'.

cilgwyn

Another reason to add it to your collection! I'm going to have to watch a bit on Youtube,to see if the music sounds like the theme from Louis Glass' third (it works both ways!). I used to quite enjoy watching the Hulk confronting the hapless villains. No one ever got killed. They usually ended up dangling from lamposts,or landing in a conveniently placed pool,or pile of sacks!! Bill Bixby was quite a good character actor,too!
Nice to see this Cpo Louis Glass series continuing! :)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 24, 2017, 10:27:14 AM
Another reason to add it to your collection! I'm going to have to watch a bit on Youtube,to see if the music sounds like the theme from Louis Glass' Fifth (it works both ways!). I used to quite enjoy watching the Hulk confronting the hapless villains. No one ever got killed. They usually ended up dangling from lamposts,or landing in a conveniently placed pool,or pile of sacks!! Bill Bixby was quite a good character actor,too!
Nice to see this Cpo Louis Glass series continuing! :)
Agree with all these points.  :)

cilgwyn

:) Louis Glass third,of course. Corrected now!I gather you watched Bill Bixby's other hit?!! ;D My parents were a bit fussy about some American tv! I remember I was able to watch Wonder Woman on BBC1 at teatime on Saturday's,while they were in the kitchen,cooking the food. If one of them happened to come in,I'd pretend to be engrossed in Gramophone (or a comic)!! ::) ;D

Ahem! ::) Back to Louis Glass!!!

cilgwyn

And here's a nice little photo of him. The crucial releases in this Cpo series,of course,will be the other symphonies,besides the Fifth. We already know (or most of us!) that No 5 is good! Symphonies No's 2 & 4 are particularly ambitious,large scale works. The former includes a male chorus in the third movement. The Sixth symphony is written in a slightly more advanced idiom. Hopefully,there will more interesting premiere recordings,as fill-up items,like the lovely (near half hour) "Summer Life" Suite for Orchestra.

kyjo

I recently listened to the new CPO recording of Glass' 3rd Symphony - very enjoyable stuff, if a bit lacking in drama and symphonic argument. Its motto theme, first presented as a horn call, is instantly memorable. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the just-released CPO recording of his 5th Symphony, which is supposedly his greatest work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 10, 2017, 05:14:21 PM
I recently listened to the new CPO recording of Glass' 3rd Symphony - very enjoyable stuff, if a bit lacking in drama and symphonic argument. Its motto theme, first presented as a horn call, is instantly memorable. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the just-released CPO recording of his 5th Symphony, which is supposedly his greatest work.
Oh, I must get Symphony 5 - a great work.

André

Looking fwd to hear some of those Glass symphonies. JPC has the CPO discs of # 3 on sale right now. Once I've cleared my credit card I'll put it in my cart !

SymphonicAddict

I compared some recordings from CPO and Danacord of the symphonies. Definitely, the difference is huge! Both the Plovdiv Orchestra and his conductor lack command and understanding of the scores, e.g. when they reach the climaxes, they are not exciting; there is much weakness throughout. It's too frustrating. Now, the Staatsorchester Rheinische Philharmonie with Raiskin give to the score an amazing bright (I'm referring to the 3rd symphony), the ideas are much more consistent, the work has more life. I just wish they didn't take so long recording the rest of the symphonies.

vandermolen

Symphony 5 just arrived and I'm greatly looking forward to hearing it.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 23, 2017, 11:28:08 PM
Symphony 5 just arrived and I'm greatly looking forward to hearing it.

I'm waiting for it to appear on Spotify as I have little money to shell out on CDs these days ::) Please do report back once you've listened!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 24, 2017, 06:08:20 AM
I'm waiting for it to appear on Spotify as I have little money to shell out on CDs these days ::) Please do report back once you've listened!

Of course!  :)