Looking for a recommendation for a set of the Rachmaninov Piano Concertos

Started by JLR, January 22, 2016, 05:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLR

I have perused through the extensive threads on the Rachmaninov Concerto Review project.  Thanks for all that hard work.  I am wanting a single disc (or box) with all the piano concertos.  Or maybe two discs if necessary.  So I am seeking a compromise--best set altogether rather than XXX for Concerto 1, YYY for Concerto 2, ZZZ for concerto 3, etc.

I am new to Rachmaninov and confessedly by the standards of this board under-educated musically.  This is what I have: 

I bought it on a lark in a used bookstore.  I enjoy it, but I am guessing there is something better out there.

Here are some recordings I am looking at (based in part on the Review Project). 

[asin]B00003ZKRQ[/asin]

[asin]B00000427L[/asin]

[asin]B0000057LA[/asin].

This last is obviously only 2 and 3, but if I am advised that this is a must have, I would be interested in this plus another recording that has the other two.

I really appreciate the advice.  This is the most knowledgeable music forum (or really forum on any subject matter) that I have ever stumbled across.

North Star

Quote from: JLR on January 22, 2016, 05:22:15 AM
I bought it on a lark in a used bookstore.  I enjoy it, but I am guessing there is something better out there.

Well it depends on what you want the performances be like. I don't know the Bronfman/Salonen, but I would be surprised if it wasn't at least good.

The Rudy/Jansons has the advantage of getting the Paganini Rhapsody and Tchaikovsky PC 1 in the same go, of course. Another set of the four concertos to consider is Andsnes, though.

[asin]B008H3OXHS[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Our Cato also highly recommended this set:

[asin]B000UZ4EXY[/asin]

Karlo (North Star) and I both enjoy this set, too:

[asin]B0040UEIAO[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on January 22, 2016, 05:44:49 AM
Karlo (North Star) and I both enjoy this set, too:

[asin]B0040UEIAO[/asin]
Yes! I don't know how I managed to forget it. Too much time spent with that delicious Decca Complete Rachmaninov box lately, I suppose...
But anyway, the Collard/Plasson is a a good set, and has a larger range of Rakhmaninov than the others - concertos, solo piano music, and the sonata for piano & cello.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Marsch MacFiercesome

I'm an 'individual performance' as opposed to a 'box-set' person, myself.

And, as passion and firepower are my standards for Rachmaninov, these are my Best In Shows:

- Zimerman/Ozawa for One

- Ashkenazy/Previn for Two

- Argerich/Chailly for Three

- Ashkenazy/Previn (for the build-up and climax in the first movement- which is tremendous) and the Ashkenazy/Haitink (for the utterly heroic last movement and the great playing of the Concertgebouw)
Easier slayed than done. Is anyone shocked that I won?

Todd

Easy first choice for me for a complete set: Kocsis.  He even makes the Third sound enjoyable.  Ashkenazy would be second.  Individual recordings by Janis, Cliburn, Richter, and Zimerman also tickle my fancy.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Turner

Another vote for Argerich/Chailly in no.3. Should you find the coupling with Kondrashin in Tchaikovsky´s 1st Concerto, it´s probably the best modern version of that concerto too, IMO.

Ashkenazy/Previn is great in Concerto no.3 as well, but very unusual regarding its extremely broad tempi, most apparent in the big solo cadenza of the 1st movement.

Pat B

I'm listening to the Bronfman-Salonen 2 on spotify right now. So far it sounds pretty good to me.

If you do get a set, look for one that contains the Paganini Rhapsody. The 2-CD Ashkenazy set you mentioned does not, but these do:

[asin]B000076GYF[/asin]
[asin]B00JEPZVT2[/asin]

George

Quote from: JLR on January 22, 2016, 05:22:15 AM
I have perused through the extensive threads on the Rachmaninov Concerto Review project.  Thanks for all that hard work.

You're welcome!

Quote[asin]B00003ZKRQ[/asin]

This is one of those rare cases where the best performance (for the set), is also in wonderful sound AND is priced cheaply. I think Brilliant Classics put this set out too. Look no further for a superb set of the Concertos (and an awesome Paganini.)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

betterthanfine

Quote from: North Star on January 22, 2016, 05:35:11 AM
Another set of the four concertos to consider is Andsnes, though.

[asin]B008H3OXHS[/asin]

THis is what first came to mind when I read the thread title. Also, do get the Argerich Third that has been mentioned a few times now.

Spineur

Nikolai Lugansky.  This is a 2006 recording (fairly recent), with a great an delicate reading of Rachmaninov scores.
For many years I lived with Ashkanasy-Previn recordings, but I dumped it, mostly because of the sound of the orchestra.  Too syrupy and not well defined to my ears.

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on January 22, 2016, 09:24:17 AM
This is one of those rare cases where the best performance (for the set), is also in wonderful sound AND is priced cheaply. I think Brilliant Classics put this set out too. Look no further for a superb set of the Concertos (and an awesome Paganini.)

Cheers, George! This does look too good not to fetch in . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

JLR

I have decided to go with the Rudy/Jansons.  I appreciate the collective wisdom.

By the way, when I said i expected there was something better out there than the  Bronfman/Salonen, it wasn't because I found something lacking in that recording.  To the contrary, I enjoy that recording greatly--it lead me to want another.  It was simply that the I picked the CD up in a used bookstpore for $5 on a lark.  Under those circumstances, it would odd if I just happened to get one of the best recordings. 

aukhawk

Quote from: Marsch MacFiercesome on January 22, 2016, 05:54:56 AM
I'm an 'individual performance' as opposed to a 'box-set' person, myself.

Me too.  And for No.2 I've never felt a need to look past Richter.

[asin]B000001GQD[/asin]

And for No.3 I like Janis and that amazing Mercury sound.

George

Quote from: aukhawk on January 26, 2016, 04:41:37 AM
Me too.  And for No.2 I've never felt a need to look past Richter.

[asin]B000001GQD[/asin]

And for No.3 I like Janis and that amazing Mercury sound.

I agree with both! Janis and Richter are each great in No. 1 as well. 

George

Quote from: JLR on January 26, 2016, 04:22:39 AM
I have decided to go with the Rudy/Jansons.  I appreciate the collective wisdom.

Let us know how it works out!

Que

Love this forum, everyone made a different recommendation....  :D

Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on January 26, 2016, 08:55:40 AM
Love this forum, everyone made a different recommendation....  :D

Q

And you were expecting . . . ?  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Que