Franck's piano quintet in F major?

Started by ShineyMcShineShine, January 23, 2016, 06:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShineyMcShineShine

I just noticed that my recording by the Spiegel String Quartet with Jan Michiels on MDG of Franck's piano quartet refers to it on the back cover and throughout the notes as "F major", whereas as far as I can determine the correct key is F minor. I compared it to the Curzon recording and to my untrained ear they sounded the same; I assume the difference between major and minor keys is big enough that even I would be able to notice it. Did MDG just make a typo (repeatedly), or is something else going on here? [asin]B000BNDAC6[/asin]

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on January 23, 2016, 06:52:57 PM
I just noticed that my recording by the Spiegel String Quartet with Jan Michiels on MDG of Franck's piano quartet refers to it on the back cover and throughout the notes as "F major", whereas as far as I can determine the correct key is F minor. I compared it to the Curzon recording and to my untrained ear they sounded the same; I assume the difference between major and minor keys is big enough that even I would be able to notice it. Did MDG just make a typo (repeatedly), or is something else going on here? [asin]B000BNDAC6[/asin]
Typo or similar mistake. Good catch.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

(poco) Sforzando

F minor to be sure. You can't imagine a mopey guy like Franck writing a whole quintet in the major, can you?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

ShineyMcShineShine

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 27, 2016, 12:05:12 PM
F minor to be sure. You can't imagine a mopey guy like Franck writing a whole quintet in the major, can you?

All I know about Franck is that Saint-Saens supposedly snubbed him at the premiere of this piece by leaving it on the piano, and Franck himself abandoned it for someone else to rescue from oblivion. So in that situation I guess it's not hard to imagine him moping home after the recital, head hung low like Charlie Brown.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Westminster mid-50s LP with the Curtis SQ and Sokoloff (Vladimir). My favorite performance.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff