Author Topic: Clavichord recordings you like.  (Read 31124 times)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: Clavichord recordings you like.
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2020, 02:32:18 AM »
I didn’t like those John Paul recordings when I first heard them but I listened to them recently and thought they were better than I’d thought.

Some years ago I purchased four John Paul CDs with different Bach suites and partitas and listened several times to these. My impression was invariably the same, finding his playing rough and unrefined. The contrast to Rübsam's later released recordings is striking. However I haven't parted with the John Paul recordings, maybe because I intended to give them another try.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Clavichord recordings you like.
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2020, 03:51:11 AM »
Some years ago I purchased four John Paul CDs with different Bach suites and partitas and listened several times to these. My impression was invariably the same, finding his playing rough and unrefined. The contrast to Rübsam's later released recordings is striking. However I haven't parted with the John Paul recordings, maybe because I intended to give them another try.
It does have a rough quality. I like the instrument he plays which sounds much more uneven than Rubsam's. Of course Rubsam's playing is another world entirely. I didn't like them a few years ago but the other day I gave them a listen. 
ETA: Paul’s series doesn’t seem to have completed either. This label tends to cut projects off?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:35:40 PM by milk »