Bach Six Partitas

Started by mc ukrneal, January 25, 2010, 05:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 19, 2022, 06:14:04 AM
Does Rubsam give a sense of dance in, for example, his French Suites? I'm just listening to Tilney's 6th partita now. The courante is otherworldly; he plays it in a higher register than it's normally played. Yes, it's very slow, it's the opposite of dance; it's dark. He follow it up with an air that duels between the lute stop and non-lute stop. Again, he's not interested in the air as the dance its name suggests. The sarabande is even more of a crush; it's played almost like a fantasia or something. I respect what Tilney does and I think it's austere. I admit I probably won't return to it soon.

Weiss is reliably good.

No I don't think Rubsam does play up the dance, and I didn't mean what I said to be a dig against the later Tilney, I just want to get clear about what's actually happening. Rubsam plays up the counterpoint. I don't think I've heard Weiss.

With a performance like Tilney's partitas, you have to approach it with "soft ears" -- ears which aren't hardened by expectations.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 19, 2022, 06:23:47 AM
No I don't think Rubsam does play up the dance, and I didn't mean what I said to be a dig against the later Tilney, I just want to get clear about what's actually happening. Rubsam plays up the counterpoint. I don't think I've heard Weiss.

With a performance like Tilney's partitas, you have to approach it with "soft ears" -- ears which aren't hardened by expectations.

Both Rübsam and Tilney choose relatively slow tempi and neither of them stress the dance elements - to put it mildly, but I think Rübsam makes the music much more interesting and expressive than Tilney. Rübsam isn't "austere" and does care a lot more for the details (counterpoint and ornamentation eg.) than Tilney.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

I just listened to Tilney and Rübsam play the toccata from the E minor. I thought both were pretty good actually because both suggest stumbling. Egarr - who, ironically, is the one who gave me the thought that the music suggests the stumbling Jesus on the way to Golgotha - doesn't come close!

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 19, 2022, 06:23:47 AM

Rubsam hasn't done the partitas on lautenwerk? It's the only one he's left to just the older piano recording? Have I got that right? I think I'll appreciate Rubsam more one day. I'm curious. Do you think the Goldberg recordings has markedly better sound quality?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 19, 2022, 10:37:10 PM
  Rubsam hasn't done the partitas on lautenwerk? It's the only one he's left to just the older piano recording? Have I got that right? I think I'll appreciate Rubsam more one day. I'm curious.

No, they're here and worth hearing.

https://www.wolfgangrubsam.com/listen

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 19, 2022, 06:14:04 AM

Weiss is reliably good.

I just listened to Weiss play the c minor. Big conception, noble and eloquent playing - a pleasure to hear.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 20, 2022, 06:58:12 PM
I just listened to Weiss play the c minor. Big conception, noble and eloquent playing - a pleasure to hear.
his WTC is very fine too.

Mandryka

Spotted Horses

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but perhaps worth noting here as well for those who like Bach on a modern piano. I have found the recording of the partitas by Shoshana Telner to be very enjoyable. Wonderful clarity, and lyrical. It's the only Bach she has recorded.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 17, 2024, 07:05:08 AMI've mentioned this elsewhere, but perhaps worth noting here as well for those who like Bach on a modern piano. I have found the recording of the partitas by Shoshana Telner to be very enjoyable. Wonderful clarity, and lyrical. It's the only Bach she has recorded.

Fazioli. It sounds excellent.