Author Topic: Love can transpose things bass and viol to form and dignity.  (Read 37377 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Love can transpose things bass and viol to form and dignity.
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2021, 01:05:07 AM »
Any thoughts about this? Little-played dutch gamba music from the latter half of the 17th century.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5nRib4Ibb03viQG1gUFdZj

Noted - as you can see by looking through this thread, German baroque viol music is a bit off my radar, but one day no doubt.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2021, 12:37:53 AM »

Enjoying this right now, I am not really familiar with hume but it came under my radar just because it was a new release.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2021, 02:02:08 AM »

Enjoying this right now, I am not really familiar with hume but it came under my radar just because it was a new release.

I know of Lief Henrikson through a recording of duos by St Colombe. This new one sounds interesting too.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »

This seems to lack a bit of the sense of fantasy which makes me interested in Hume’s music. It may be the selection, but I don’t think so. I’ll revisit it in a few days.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2022, 05:30:53 AM »

I don't normally like Philippe Pierlot's viol recordings, but I like this. It may be a question of the choice of music, it includes Tobias Hume, Froberger and Ste. Colombe, who I find particularly sympathetic. It may be an evolution of his approach to music making, he doesn't have that smoothness and luxuriousness which I find repellent in other recordings. It may just be that the sound take here is more me than the engineering of his other Flora CDs/

(There's some music on it which doesn't interest me right now -- Marais, Abel and Bach -- so I haven't heard what he makes of it.)

Anyway, a welcome new release.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 05:40:19 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2022, 11:20:16 PM »

The sound is most unusual. The instrument is lean. Very little sound engineering apparently, the venue was a church but it’s not at all over resonant. Like those MDG recordings I guess, you’ll either love the sound or you won’t. The performances are very good indeed I think, same for the music - this guy’s a poet. 

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/227680/Ortiz,_Hume,_Hely,_Bertalotti_-_Ricercari_e_Canzoni.htm

The recording contains the only examples I know on a commercial recording of benjamin hely's viol music -- lovely simple music based on psalms I think. And Bartolotti's viol music, predictably more convoluted!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 09:22:22 AM by Mandryka »