Love can transpose things bass and viol to form and dignity.

Started by Mandryka, February 05, 2016, 10:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on November 07, 2021, 07:07:30 PM
Any thoughts about this? Little-played dutch gamba music from the latter half of the 17th century.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5nRib4Ibb03viQG1gUFdZj

Noted - as you can see by looking through this thread, German baroque viol music is a bit off my radar, but one day no doubt.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Enjoying this right now, I am not really familiar with hume but it came under my radar just because it was a new release.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 19, 2021, 11:37:53 PM

Enjoying this right now, I am not really familiar with hume but it came under my radar just because it was a new release.

I know of Lief Henrikson through a recording of duos by St Colombe. This new one sounds interesting too.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 19, 2021, 11:37:53 PM

This seems to lack a bit of the sense of fantasy which makes me interested in Hume's music. It may be the selection, but I don't think so. I'll revisit it in a few days.

Mandryka

I don't normally like Philippe Pierlot's viol recordings, but I like this. It may be a question of the choice of music, it includes Tobias Hume, Froberger and Ste. Colombe, who I find particularly sympathetic. It may be an evolution of his approach to music making, he doesn't have that smoothness and luxuriousness which I find repellent in other recordings. It may just be that the sound take here is more me than the engineering of his other Flora CDs/

(There's some music on it which doesn't interest me right now -- Marais, Abel and Bach -- so I haven't heard what he makes of it.)

Anyway, a welcome new release.

Mandryka

The sound is most unusual. The instrument is lean. Very little sound engineering apparently, the venue was a church but it's not at all over resonant. Like those MDG recordings I guess, you'll either love the sound or you won't. The performances are very good indeed I think, same for the music - this guy's a poet. 

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/227680/Ortiz,_Hume,_Hely,_Bertalotti_-_Ricercari_e_Canzoni.htm

The recording contains the only examples I know on a commercial recording of benjamin hely's viol music -- lovely simple music based on psalms I think. And Bartolotti's viol music, predictably more convoluted!

Mandryka

https://open.spotify.com/track/4uv8HPfWpC9Y9LcFBNP9gC

New release from Sylvia Abramowicz - Dr Coleman: Music for Lyra Viol. Dr Coleman was a musician in the court of King Charles I.  Abramowicz style sounds heavy to me, as if she presses hard with the bow, strong accents sometimes too. There are some very fine things here, it's IMO a good thing that performances of this rare music find their way on record. Amateur recording, listenable but not hifi, Spotify and similar lossy platforms only as far as I can see.

Mandryka

How could I have failed to have mentioned this before. This was the recording which got me hooked on viol music in 2015, and I still love it to bits. Stoeffken is a great composer and Dunford is at his best here. Listening to it tonight.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 21, 2022, 12:20:16 AM

The sound is most unusual. The instrument is lean. Very little sound engineering apparently, the venue was a church but it's not at all over resonant. Like those MDG recordings I guess, you'll either love the sound or you won't. The performances are very good indeed I think, same for the music - this guy's a poet. 

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/227680/Ortiz,_Hume,_Hely,_Bertalotti_-_Ricercari_e_Canzoni.htm

The recording contains the only examples I know on a commercial recording of benjamin hely's viol music -- lovely simple music based on psalms I think. And Bartolotti's viol music, predictably more convoluted!

Back to this, and like I said two months ago, this guy's a poet.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 27, 2022, 09:26:39 AMBack to this, and like I said two months ago, this guy's a poet.

And back again. And I feel the same. Recording of the year.

Mandryka

Somehow I'd missed Josh Cheatham. He's made this CD of Marais and St Colombe and it seems pleasant enough without having any strongly distinguishing features. Too much Marais for me to be really interested - the St Colombe, one concert, is good to hear though!

I discovered him because he's primus inter pares in an ensemble called Musicall Humors. And they've just produced (yet another) Lachrymae CD - like the Marais it seems pleasant enough without having any strongly distinguishing features.

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/17/000156071.pdf

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 21, 2021, 09:57:37 AMWhat a pleasure to revisit this recording after two and a half years. I feel every bit as positive as before. I prefer Dollé to  Marais and I like him every bit as much as Forqueray and Dubuisson. His music is totally charming, civilised, urbane, nonchalant.  And what a shame that there isn't more from the redoutable Robin Pharo.

And ditto again after a further two years - Robin Pharo plays Charles Dollé

Mandryka

Much of this is previously unrecorded music. Very spacious - I mean, Silvia de Rossa is well able to play the silences to great effect. I'm glad to hear this new release of my favourite French composer for viol.

No booklet on line -  bummer.  The Tournus manuscript, I've just learned, contains music by Sainte Colombe and Dubuisson - its ages since I last heard any Dubuisson.

https://www.consbs.it/content/uploads/2018/02/AT-2022-Titolari-di-incarichi-di-collab.-o-consul.-Curriculum-DE-ROSSI-SILVIA.pdf

Mandryka

The marketing blurb for Les Voix Humaines says

QuoteLes Voix humaines Consort of Viols offer a new approach to consort playing in which rhythmic freedom and ornamentation play an integral role.

That's verified by their recording of the Purcell fantasias. It's not just rhythmic freedom, it is also a freedom with the juxtaposition of the voices and a striking transparency and equality of voices. Their Purcell fantasias have something of the Italianate polyphonic madrigal about them, where each voice is as important as the others.

Madrigalesque or not, the phrasing and touch is not lyrical. Phrases are short - there are not many notes in each bow stroke and the touch of the bow is light - like Paolo Pandolfo's. The result is a sort of nervousness, brittleness.  It's also objective,  cold almost. 

A unique interpretation I think, a unique style in this music. I've no idea how they arrived at it, how informed it is. The booklet, which I've linked to, isn't very helpful about this.

https://atmaclassique.com/wp-content/uploads/livret/dddee7a0-fc79-43d5-9ba6-d858506c9e6e_2591_livret_F.pdf

Mandryka

This is the polar opposite of the Ukrainien wedding cake of a performance by Les Voix Humaines. Harnoncourt's CMW Purcell fantasias have a simplicity and honesty and humility and naturalness which I find totally winning. This is art hiding art - it just feels like a totally unaffected effusion of musical poetry. Top tier Purcell.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on December 26, 2023, 12:14:48 AM

This is the polar opposite of the Ukrainien wedding cake of a performance by Les Voix Humaines. Harnoncourt's CMW Purcell fantasias have a simplicity and honesty and humility and naturalness which I find totally winning. This is art hiding art - it just feels like a totally unaffected effusion of musical poetry. Top tier Purcell.

This recording is often mentioned as the "Golden Oldie" by reviewers. I've never heard it,  but should remedy that!  :D

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on December 26, 2023, 12:14:48 AM

What is "Ukrainian wedding cake"?

Florestan

Quote from: AnotherSpin on December 26, 2023, 01:59:15 AMWhat is "Ukrainian wedding cake"?

He probably means коровай but what it has got to do with Purcell and Les Voix Humaines I have not the slightest idea.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: AnotherSpin on December 26, 2023, 01:59:15 AMWhat is "Ukrainian wedding cake"?

Quote from: Florestan on December 26, 2023, 02:14:26 AMHe probably means коровай but what it has got to do with Purcell and Les Voix Humaines I have not the slightest idea.  :D

They have embellished Purcell like the above.