Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2011, 11:37:08 AM
That's a good question. I have not explored Rosenberg's music yet. There looks like there's an attractive release from BIS, but honestly there just isn't that much of his music available.

Try this - am sure you'll enjoy it. The ending of No 3 is one of the great moments in music.

[asin]B0037BPZTK[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 06, 2011, 01:34:18 PM
Try this - am sure you'll enjoy it. The ending of No 3 is one of the great moments in music.

[asin]B0037BPZTK[/asin]

Thanks Jeffery. This was the recording I was referring to. I wonder if BIS will record anymore of Rosenberg's orchestral music?

Lethevich

Any opinions on Bo Nilsson? I don't want to start a thread on him with just that single sentence.

From a Wikipedia entry, it sounds as though he went into a populist phase during the 60s and later, but is it good, or is it garish?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

not edward

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 22, 2012, 02:34:27 AM
Any opinions on Bo Nilsson? I don't want to start a thread on him with just that single sentence.

From a Wikipedia entry, it sounds as though he went into a populist phase during the 60s and later, but is it good, or is it garish?
Garish, I'd say.

His serial phase I found a lot more interesting: all Darmstadt on the surface, and very much late Romantic underneath: I remember being particularly impressed by Brief an Gösta Oswald, which is a sort of musical suicide note for his serial period. Interestingly enough, he was born in Skellefteå, a small town in Northern Sweden that punches way above its weight culturally; for example the writers Stieg Larsson and Per Olov Enquist.

There's a 3CD set out there that covers most of the major serialist work and a good cross-section of his populist stuff:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Spirits-Whisper-1965-1997/dp/B005X95XKK

(That's the MP3 version; there should be a CD one on Amazon too.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Lethevich

Quote from: edward on January 22, 2012, 06:58:26 AM
There's a 3CD set out there that covers most of the major serialist work and a good cross-section of his populist stuff:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Spirits-Whisper-1965-1997/dp/B005X95XKK
(That's the MP3 version; there should be a CD one on Amazon too.)

Ooh, that's what that drew my initial attention - good to know it's worth it, thanks :)

Quote from: edward on January 22, 2012, 06:58:26 AM
Interestingly enough, he was born in Skellefteå, a small town in Northern Sweden that punches way above its weight culturally; for example the writers Stieg Larsson and Per Olov Enquist.

Come to think of it, a rather successful independant videogame (Magicka) was made by developers from that town too, after a university project. Apparently the town name is pronounced incorrectly by everyone, even southern Swedes.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

vandermolen

Can't recall much discussion of Gosta Nystroem's 'Sinfonia del Mare' (1946-48) but together with Kabelac's 'Mystery of Time' and Stanley Bate's 4th Symphony (and 3rd for that matter) it has been a great recent discovery for me and I can't recommend it strongly enough. Of the three CDs I have of it ( :P) I like the one on Phono Suecia most (Swedish RSO, Svetlanov) but the recent one on BIS (see photo) and on Swedish Society Discofil are also excellent. It has a rather Baxian/Novakian quality to it but is not really like either.  There is a soprano soloist involved and the slow movement is hauntingly beautiful - a magnificent work.  Any other admirers of the Sinfonia del Mare (Symphony No. 3) or of Nystroem generally?
[asin]B0051MQ6BY[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DieNacht

Have got most of Nystroem´s other orchestral works, but need to dig more into it. Moreover, there must be quite a lot of unrecorded chamber music of his. The "Viola Concerto" is a catchy, lively piece entitled "Hommage a la France", far from austere or "Nordic". The symphonic poem "The Arctic Ocean" is one of the greater, spectacular orchestral pieces from Scandinavia, like similar ones by Sibelius, Nielsen and Jon Leifs.

vandermolen

Quote from: DieNacht on April 16, 2012, 03:50:52 AM
Have got most of Nystroem´s other orchestral works, but need to dig more into it. Moreover, there must be quite a lot of unrecorded chamber music of his. The "Viola Concerto" is a catchy, lively piece entitled "Hommage a la France", far from austere or "Nordic". The symphonic poem "The Arctic Ocean" is one of the greater, spectacular orchestral pieces from Scandinavia, like similar ones by Sibelius, Nielsen and Jon Leifs.

Thank you - I noticed 'The Arctic Ocean' and will look out for it. I think that Nystroem was obsessed (in a nice way) by the sea.  By the way Caspar David Friedrich is one of my favourite artists - so I approve of your Avatar very much!

DieNacht

Thanks ! What is perhaps less known is that C.D. Friedrich was quite historically-conscious and that his pictures, in spite of their revelation of the past, also questions the past and underlines the dimension of the contemporary and that of historical development, as a contrast to the more sentimental members of the German Romantic school. Likewise he was a pioneer in developing and promoting Romantic landscape painting, rather than looking backwards to established genres.

But to return to Nystroem: the unsung composers website has some rare music by him also. Your post has made me want to listen to some of his works now ...

vandermolen

Quote from: DieNacht on April 16, 2012, 06:07:54 AM
Thanks ! What is perhaps less known is that C.D. Friedrich was quite historically-conscious and that his pictures, in spite of their revelation of the past, also questions the past and underlines the dimension of the contemporary and that of historical development, as a contrast to the more sentimental members of the German Romantic school. Likewise he was a pioneer in developing and promoting Romantic landscape painting, rather than looking backwards to established genres.

But to return to Nystroem: the unsung composers website has some rare music by him also. Your post has made me want to listen to some of his works now ...

What appeals to me about Friedrich is not only the haunting, poetic,dreamlike imagery of the landscape paintings, but also the fact that they lend themselves to different interpretations - religious, political/nationalistic for example.  I can see that he may have influences the surrealists. 'Monk by the Sea' is a most extraordinary work.

Back to music! You must listen to Nystroem's 'Sinfonia del Mare' if you don't already know it.  Today I've been discovering Saeverud.  His Symphony No 7 'Salme' is a revelation to me - a fine, craggy and powerful score.

Lilas Pastia

Nystroem's Ishavet (Arctic  Ocean) is one of this composer's best works. It resembles for all the world a mix of Rite of Spring and Sibelius 7. Don't expect a masterwork of the same magnitude, but it bears its influences well, not sounding derivative. Nystroem is a strong composer. You're right Jeffrey, Sinfonia del Mare is a very fine work. But do give Ishavet a listen. I'd like to her you on this one!

Any fans of Otto Olsson, Erland von Koch Or Karin Rehnqvist ?

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 29, 2012, 05:54:09 PM
Nystroem's Ishavet (Arctic  Ocean) is one of this composer's best works. It resembles for all the world a mix of Rite of Spring and Sibelius 7. Don't expect a masterwork of the same magnitude, but it bears its influences well, not sounding derivative. Nystroem is a strong composer. You're right Jeffrey, Sinfonia del Mare is a very fine work. But do give Ishavet a listen. I'd like to her you on this one!

Any fans of Otto Olsson, Erland von Koch Or Karin Rehnqvist ?

Hi Andre  :)

I bought 'The Arctic Ocean' on Caprice recently but only realised, as a result of your posting that it is also 'Ishavet' which I already have on a BIS CD  ::). However, this kind of duplication is not unknown to me (c 30 versions of Walton Symphony 1). I seem to recall that your Bruckner symphony collection may have similar characteristics  :D

Anyway, yes I did like 'The Arctic Ocean'/Ishavet and I do see what you mean about Sibelius Symphony No. 7 and The Rite of Spring.  I'm not entirely surprised that Ravel made no comment on the work when Nystroem showed it to him - maybe he should have shown it to Stravinsky! Interesting that it's dedicated to the Norwegian explorer Amundsen. It has a darkly eloquent and searching quality to it which appeals to me. Sinfonia del Mare remains my favourite work by Nystoem and his masterpiece but Ishavet is a close second.  It's origins in a ballet score is quite apparent in places.

Lilas Pastia

Hi Jeffrey ! For some reason the work has always been 'Ishavet' in my mind. But it's definitely a work that bears dupliaction. I also have the Bis version you're referring to - Paavo järvi, right?. It's more expansive: 3 minutes more than Peter Erös on Caprice, almost 15 % slower. I find Järvi's view of the Arctic somewhat more romantic - global warming after some 15 years maybe?  :o . In any case, both present a compelling view of a very fine 1925 work.

I'll give the 'del Mare' a spin this week. It's been a while now. Time for third or fourth impressions ! My version is by Svetlanov.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 02, 2012, 05:31:32 PM
Hi Jeffrey ! For some reason the work has always been 'Ishavet' in my mind. But it's definitely a work that bears dupliaction. I also have the Bis version you're referring to - Paavo järvi, right?. It's more expansive: 3 minutes more than Peter Erös on Caprice, almost 15 % slower. I find Järvi's view of the Arctic somewhat more romantic - global warming after some 15 years maybe?  :o . In any case, both present a compelling view of a very fine 1925 work.

I'll give the 'del Mare' a spin this week. It's been a while now. Time for third or fourth impressions ! My version is by Svetlanov.

Hi Andre - the Svetlanov is my favourite version, coupled with 'The Tempest'.

SymphonicAddict

I thought Alfvén had his own thread. Anyway, this is a too underrated and neglected composer. For people who like late romantic style impregnated with a lot of lushness, this is a true pleasure!! You should try these 5 mesmerizing and tuneful symphonies, full of charm, power and tremendous orchestration. Järvi conducting the Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra: a gorgeous combination.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 04, 2017, 07:05:51 PM
I thought Alfvén had his own thread. Anyway, this is a too underrated and neglected composer. For people who like late romantic style impregnated with a lot of lushness, this is a true pleasure!! You should try these 5 mesmerizing and tuneful symphonies, full of charm, power and tremendous orchestration. Järvi conducting the Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra: a gorgeous combination.

I have to say that Alfven doesn't really strike me as too interesting of a composer. His Symphony No. 4, "From the Outermost Skerries" may be the finest thing I've heard from him.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 04, 2017, 07:09:20 PM
I have to say that Alfven doesn't really strike me as too interesting of a composer. His Symphony No. 4, "From the Outermost Skerries" may be the finest thing I've heard from him.

I respect your opinion. In my case, I liked all of them, including the 4th.

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 04, 2017, 07:09:20 PMI have to say that Alfven doesn't really strike me as too interesting of a composer. His Symphony No. 4, "From the Outermost Skerries" may be the finest thing I've heard from him.

Exactly my conclusion (ten years ago, when I played them all).  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on March 09, 2017, 12:33:02 AM
Exactly my conclusion (ten years ago, when I played them all).  8)
+1

Although I quite like the problematic Symphony 5.

relm1

I am really enjoying this CD of Madetoja:

https://www.amazon.com/Madetoja-Symphony-No-Kullervo-Elegy/dp/B00CVO19N0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489280420&sr=8-2&keywords=madetoja+symphony+2

Somewhere between Sibelius and Wagner in a very fine recording.  This Kullervo is nothing like Sibelius's take on the myth.  Much more like how Richard Strauss or Wagner might have imagined it as an epic hero rather than a flawed demigod.