Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I never warmed to Madetoja's music. I don't really hear much of an individual voice in the music to be even more honest.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 11, 2017, 04:04:04 PM
I never warmed to Madetoja's music. I don't really hear much of an individual voice in the music to be even more honest.

Did you hear the recording I mentioned?  A Germanic version of Finnish music is an individual voice.  Who else had the sound?  The last movement of the second symphony has elements of Bruckner by way of Sibelius and reached a tremendous flat 6 climax...something that could have come out of modern sci-fi scores.  The melodies might not be as personalized as Sibelius but it's not at all worthy of disregard.  Give it another chance and stop being so quick to accept your first impression.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: relm1 on March 11, 2017, 04:02:33 PM
I am really enjoying this CD of Madetoja:

https://www.amazon.com/Madetoja-Symphony-No-Kullervo-Elegy/dp/B00CVO19N0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489280420&sr=8-2&keywords=madetoja+symphony+2

Somewhere between Sibelius and Wagner in a very fine recording.  This Kullervo is nothing like Sibelius's take on the myth.  Much more like how Richard Strauss or Wagner might have imagined it as an epic hero rather than a flawed demigod.

The 2nd symphony is just amazing. I listened to it a few days ago and was mesmerizing. Too much beauty I found there

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on March 11, 2017, 04:21:33 PM
Did you hear the recording I mentioned?  A Germanic version of Finnish music is an individual voice.  Who else had the sound?  The last movement of the second symphony has elements of Bruckner by way of Sibelius and reached a tremendous flat 6 climax...something that could have come out of modern sci-fi scores.  The melodies might not be as personalized as Sibelius but it's not at all worthy of disregard.  Give it another chance and stop being so quick to accept your first impression.

Umm...excuse me for a second. I've been listening to Madetoja off and on for the past five years. I've heard all of his symphonies and many of his other orchestral works. I've also heard that Storgards recording you posted about. I was just sharing an opinion and what I thought of the composer. Don't take what I say as gospel. If you like the music, then that's great, but I don't share your sentiments and I certainly don't hear anything distinctive in the music, but there aren't a lot of Finns that carry as much weight obviously as Sibelius. Oh and Madetoja is more influenced by French music than Germanic or at least that's what I understood about his own influences and his approach to orchestration when I was reading about him.

arpeggio

Quote from: relm1 on March 11, 2017, 04:02:33 PM
I am really enjoying this CD of Madetoja:

https://www.amazon.com/Madetoja-Symphony-No-Kullervo-Elegy/dp/B00CVO19N0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489280420&sr=8-2&keywords=madetoja+symphony+2

Somewhere between Sibelius and Wagner in a very fine recording.  This Kullervo is nothing like Sibelius's take on the myth.  Much more like how Richard Strauss or Wagner might have imagined it as an epic hero rather than a flawed demigod.

I just checked this out on you tube.  Of course it ain't Beethoven but I still enjoyed it.  New music for my wish list.  Thanks :)

Addendum:  Great review of this recording at ArkiveMusic: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=825038

Found another review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/May13/Madetoja_Kullervo_ODE12122.htm

vandermolen

I like all the symphonies. 3 is considered the finest but the moving No.2 is my favourite - in memory of his brother who died in the Finnish Civil War I think. I increasing like Symphony 1 as well. No.4 was stolen in a railway station.  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 11, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
The 2nd symphony is just amazing. I listened to it a few days ago and was mesmerizing. Too much beauty I found there
I'm enjoying the artwork! I've never heard a note of his music;but that's the sort of jewel case that tempts me. Got to resist,though. Perhaps the Beeb will broadcast one?!!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 12, 2017, 07:30:11 AM
I'm enjoying the artwork! I've never heard a note of his music;but that's the sort of jewel case that tempts me. Got to resist,though. Perhaps the Beeb will broadcast one?!!

If you get to hear it, I hope you enjoy it a lot!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 12, 2017, 07:30:11 AM

Madetoja's music is plastered all over YouTube. Why don't you do some sampling and find out whether you like his music or not?

vandermolen

Yesterday I came across a composer whose music I had never heard. Selim Palmgren (born 1878 Pori, Finland, died Helsinki 1951). He also taught at the famous Eastman School in the USA in the 1920s. I sampled the opening of his
Piano Concerto No.2 'The River' and thought it was excellent - haunting and beautiful. Any other views on Palmgren?
[asin]B01DELEJ4E[/asin]
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Selim-Palmgren

Here's the opening of PC No.2 'The River':

https://youtu.be/oOq6vTWYbDU
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on September 25, 2017, 11:49:48 PM
Yesterday I came across a composer whose music I had never heard. Selim Palmgren (born 1878 Pori, Finland, died Helsinki 1951). He also taught at the famous Eastman School in the USA in the 1920s. I sampled the opening of his
Piano Concerto No.2 'The River' and thought it was excellent - haunting and beautiful. Any other views on Palmgren?
[asin]B01DELEJ4E[/asin]

Just bumping up my last 'zero response' thread ( :blank:)
This is because I have also been enjoying Palmgren's Piano Concerto No.1 (1905). Like Piano Concerto No.2 it has a most beautiful nostalgic, dreamy and lyrical opening. It is very approachable and I think would appeal to admirers of Rachmaninov.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 24, 2017, 07:28:28 AM
Just bumping up my last 'zero response' thread ( :blank:)
This is because I have also been enjoying Palmgren's Piano Concerto No.1 (1905). Like Piano Concerto No.2 it has a most beautiful nostalgic, dreamy and lyrical opening. It is very approachable and I think would appeal to admirers of Rachmaninov.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jeffrey. I love Rachmaninov's PCs so it seems like Palmgren's would be right up my alley :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 11, 2017, 08:22:20 PMThe 2nd symphony is just amazing. I listened to it a few days ago and was mesmerizing. Too much beauty I found there
Seconded. Plus: it has a wonderful 'pastoral' quiet movement that is really pastoral: reminiscences from a solitary boyhood spent in the countryside.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Thanks Kyle and Johan - much appreciated. I think that this music has potential for wide appeal.
:)

relm1

Quote from: Christo on October 24, 2017, 11:11:56 AM
Seconded. Plus: it has a wonderful 'pastoral' quiet movement that is really pastoral: reminiscences from a solitary boyhood spent in the countryside.  :)

Do you want to give us a hint to what composer this is in reference to? 

André

Quote from: vandermolen on September 25, 2017, 11:49:48 PM
[asin]B01DELEJ4E[/asin]

Another good thread I wasn't aware of! Will wonders ever cease?

I have the piano concertos of Palmgren in this 2cd set: everything in it is pure delight!

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2017, 07:58:30 PM
What is Palmgren's style like?

Here is a review John of the disc I have. Very melodic and approachable, maybe not that 'deep' but the CD, especially the openings of 'The River' Piano Concerto and No. 2 have given me much pleasure.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Aug/Palmgren_PCs_ABCD385.htm

Here is the opening of The River PC:

Biffo

Tveitt and Langgaard are favourites of mine. Langgaard has had a few mentions already but I scecond the recommendations of his Music of the Spheres and would like to add his string quartets - they have all been recorded by the Nightingale Quartet and well worth exploring.

Tveiit (1908 - 1981) has only had a passing mention but is well worth exploring. Sadly, a large number of his works were destroyed in a fire though some have been reconstructed from orchestral parts and the charred remains. Tveitt spent some time in Paris and this shows in his Piano Concertos though No 4 'Aurora Borealis' - my favourite was written after his return to Norway. His large scale ballet 'Baldur's Dreams' is also interesting though some may prefer the 'Sun God Symphony extracted from it.

After returning to Norway Tveitt adopted a more national, Norwegian style. A Hundred Hardanger Tunes has already been mentioned; it is divided into suites and they range from wedding tunes to 'Domedag', a depiction of Judgement Day.

North Star

Quote from: Biffo on October 28, 2017, 02:59:02 AM
Tveitt and Langgaard are favourites of mine. Langgaard has had a few mentions already but I scecond the recommendations of his Music of the Spheres and would like to add his string quartets - they have all been recorded by the Nightingale Quartet and well worth exploring.

Tveiit (1908 - 1981) has only had a passing mention but is well worth exploring. Sadly, a large number of his works were destroyed in a fire though some have been reconstructed from orchestral parts and the charred remains. Tveitt spent some time in Paris and this shows in his Piano Concertos though No 4 'Aurora Borealis' - my favourite was written after his return to Norway. His large scale ballet 'Baldur's Dreams' is also interesting though some may prefer the 'Sun God Symphony extracted from it.

After returning to Norway Tveitt adopted a more national, Norwegian style. A Hundred Hardanger Tunes has already been mentioned; it is divided into suites and they range from wedding tunes to 'Domedag', a depiction of Judgement Day.

Tveitt and Langgaard have their own threads if you want to have a look. 8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr