Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on April 26, 2007, 09:24:13 AM
I moi, envy you!
Simple as that! :)

Harry - just finished up the Melartin Symphony Box this afternoon -don't know if you have them yet, but all of the rumors are TRUE - quite excellent (an unexpectedly so for me - took a chance, myself, and am pleased!) - Dave  :)

Benji

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2007, 11:56:20 AM
Well this thread is also about Finnish composers dear Mog. :)

Yes Harry, and I have much to say about many Finnish and Scandinavian composers but my project was of niché interest and i'd hoped it would have been an interesting and informative thread, but now it has been swallowed up and diluted by this much larger and vaguer thread. Think of it like this - would you be perfectly happy if you were to start a Beethoven quartets thread and it was merged with 'German composers'?

Seriously, I think this moderation was a little unfair, and i'd have appreciated at least being asked if I minded before it was done anyway. So I ask once more, will a moderator please extend me the courtesy of restoring my little thread?

uffeviking

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on April 27, 2007, 05:43:54 PM
and i'd have appreciated at least being asked if I minded before it was done anyway.

Sir, I did ask and I left the question online for 24 hours. I received no reply, therefor I assumed my suggestion has met with approval.  :)

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 27, 2007, 02:41:33 PM
Harry - just finished up the Melartin Symphony Box this afternoon -don't know if you have them yet, but all of the rumors are TRUE - quite excellent (an unexpectedly so for me - took a chance, myself, and am pleased!) - Dave  :)

Well then, ordered it too. Did it before, but it was not delivered, they said out of stock, lets try it again huh! ;D

Harry

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on April 27, 2007, 05:43:54 PM
Yes Harry, and I have much to say about many Finnish and Scandinavian composers but my project was of niché interest and i'd hoped it would have been an interesting and informative thread, but now it has been swallowed up and diluted by this much larger and vaguer thread. Think of it like this - would you be perfectly happy if you were to start a Beethoven quartets thread and it was merged with 'German composers'?

Seriously, I think this moderation was a little unfair, and i'd have appreciated at least being asked if I minded before it was done anyway. So I ask once more, will a moderator please extend me the courtesy of restoring my little thread?

There is nothing diluted or vague about my thread my friend, and I think it is also niche quality here, and its interesting and informative.
I would not mind such a merge, well no, the more people the merrier, I would say! :)

Benji

Ok, what happened to Choo's post that I was about to reply to?

Choo Choo

I deleted it because in it I made an assertion which turned out not to be true.  (I believed the results of the Search function ... silly me  :-[)

Harry

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on April 28, 2007, 05:55:20 AM
Ok, what happened to Choo's post that I was about to reply to?

Mog, do your self a favour, and make this topic again, if you feel that strongly about it.
I will not tolerate that on my thread there will be fighting of any sort, about the decision of Lis.
Otherwise I will lock this topic, so please be a good chap, and do it. :)

Choo Choo

However the substance of my post remains valid - which is that it's difficult to sustain a series of separate sub-threads devoted to specific interests when they're all merged together into one catch-all thread.

If the Soggy One wants to have a thread in which we can all follow a single topic - even if that is "narrow" - then why shouldn't he?  I for one was following it with interest, and would do so again.

Harry

Quote from: Choo Choo on April 28, 2007, 06:03:36 AM
However the substance of my post remains valid - which is that it's difficult to sustain a series of separate sub-threads devoted to specific interests when they're all merged together into one catch-all thread.

If the Soggy One wants to have a thread in which we can all follow a single topic - even if that is "narrow" - then why shouldn't he?  I for one was following it with interest, and would do so again.

Than advise Mog like me , to start up this thread anew! :)

Choo Choo

Benji

Quote from: Harry on April 28, 2007, 06:02:12 AM
Mog, do your self a favour, and make this topic again, if you feel that strongly about it.
I will not tolerate that on my thread there will be fighting of any sort, about the decision of Lis.
Otherwise I will lock this topic, so please be a good chap, and do it. :)

Fighting? haha But yes, I do hate to grumble at all,  but most especially on this most interesting thread. Apologies, Harry.

Quote from: Choo Choo on April 28, 2007, 06:03:36 AM

Yes, I think that is for the best. Thanks for the support.  :)

Harry

Thanks, I appreciate that enormously! :)

uffeviking

So the palace revolt has been squashed? Good. A reminder though, next time I ask posters if it's OK to merge a thread, a simple answer of either 'yes' or 'no' would be sufficient. A refresher:

Re: Scandinavian and Finnish composers.
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2007, 06:49:23 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: The Notorious MOG on April 27, 2007, 06:43:54 PM
and i'd have appreciated at least being asked if I minded before it was done anyway.

Sir, I did ask and I left the question on line for 24 hours. I received no reply, therefor I assumed my suggestion has met with approval. 

Choo Choo

Quote from: uffeviking on April 28, 2007, 06:26:16 AM
So the palace revolt has been squashed? Good.

What a horrible thing to say.

Harry

Please, last warning, no discussion about this!
Please do it in PM's
Thank you!

Benji

Has anyone heard this wonderful new symphony? I believe the 2nd is also available on disc, and wonder if anyone can offer a few comments, or on this composer in general?

p.s. How funky are Ondine's covers recently!  ;D

Harry

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on April 28, 2007, 07:15:12 AM

Has anyone heard this wonderful new symphony? I believe the 2nd is also available on disc, and wonder if anyone can offer a few comments, or on this composer in general?

Mog, I ordered a disc in the composer series on Finlandia with some of his works, amongst it a symphony, but JPC told me its out of stock.
I heard his Cello concerto, and was truly amazed at so much novelty.
Since then I try to get some recordings together of his work, and this cd you have posted will be a good start.
Any impressions of this recording?

Lilas Pastia

It's always time to make a pow-wow and discuss it all while the peace pipe passes around.  ;)

A new thread could be devoted to such things as the good usage of, and rules of thread merges. I carefully read the GMG Forum Guidelines thread (aka The Gospel According To Rob 0:) ) and couldn't find any 'how to' guide about starting/managing a thread.

My 2 cents:

I don't think the initiator of a thread should be able to lock it. It deprives everybody else of the discussion - often very valuable - that has been going on. Hitting the lock button is a bit selfish IMO. There have been lengthy discussions in the past about the "ownership" of posts and threads. Many feel that once a thread is started and gets rolling, it becomes public property.

I feel the decision to merge threads should be made only after the moderator has sent a PM to the thread initiators (note the plural) and has gotten their approval. In this case, Harry finds it OK, but MOG is miffed. It could very well be the other way around... Merging/splitting threads is a decision that only aims to make things more practical for everybody. It's not a life and death matter, so it can wait a bit.

OTOH, it should be obvious that, the narrower the focus of a thread, the less people will be picking it up. If a thread is so specialized that only a handful will be following it, it doesn't benefit the larger crowd. If there's a thread about Italian Opera, a new thread about Verdi Baritone Arias might attract a much narrower following. There's a balance that should be strived for.

Suggestion: when there appears to be some overlap between threads, why not include a "Of Related Interest" post with links to the parent threads? Anybody can do that, including the initiator of a 'specialized' thread who wants to alert the community to the existence of his/her pet thread (which might otherwise fall down on page 6 of the threads list, then page 10, etc. for lack of proper exposure).

Harry

I agree with you Lilas, but if on my thread, and that means ownership in some sense, people start to fight, it kind of defeats the purpose of the thread, and therefore I think it not selfish to lock it, so that the minds of people cool, and I unlock the thread again. It is not a permanent close down, you see.
It is therefore oke that the starters of the thread can lock or unlock.
But please no more discussion about this on a thread that is dedicated to Scandinavian and Finnish composers.
How many times do I have to say please huh?