Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Delightful early work well played.IMHO with Roussel's echoes

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

I see Roussel's influx regarding intrumental palette all works,particularly symphony.

Roy Bland

I appreciate highly this post-sibelian symphony sadly i don't find details about composer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyLqzOKP4e0

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 18, 2022, 05:12:16 PMI appreciate highly this post-sibelian symphony sadly i don't find details about composer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyLqzOKP4e0
Sounds very promising, if rather anachronistic.

Oh great! There's a CD with an interesting cover image!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

I made a mistake perhaps because it is a family of composers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkka_Kuusisto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taneli_Kuusisto

Roy Bland

Symphonic Addict

I came across this CD featuring chamber music (one piano quintet, two string quartets and a piece for violin and piano) by the Danish composer Emil Hartmann (1836-1898), who was a son to the also composers Johan Peter Emilius Hartmann and Emma Hartmann. Whilst the style of the pieces is totally romantic and conservative, this is some very fine, well-crafted and compact music that shouldn't go unnoticed. The Piano Quintet in G minor is the highlight of the disc, followed by the String Quartet in A minor, the Andante and Allegro for violin and piano and the String Quartet in C minor. A very worthwhile program.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
New arrival
Ilkka Kuusisto (born 1933)
Symphony No.1 (1998)
This is enjoyable, written in a kind-of post-modern tonal idiom. I didn't really know what to make of it but I did know that I immediately wanted to hear it again. I have now listened to it several times. It is quite episodic with martial and lyrical sections briefly reminding me of Einar Englund, Kinsella and Havergal Brian. The lyrical opening reminded me of Delius. Apparently this interesting Finnish composer has mainly written operas.  There are odd fanfare like sections. The cover of the CD is quite fun. It features the composer struggling to get a boat into a lake while his two sons (the conductor and the violinist on this release) stand around doing nothing. On the back of the booklet it states: 'Cover Image: 'BOYS! Please, help me!' (taken on the island Loparo east of Helsinki in 2000, this photograph features a previous collaborative effort by the Kuusisto clan).
I was very sad to read that the conductor Jaako Kuusisto died, aged 48 in 2022.
Well worth exploring:

relm1

I've been enjoying Torbjorn Iwan Lundquist's massive Symphony No. 7.  Composed in 1988, this hour-long symphony is scored for soloists, choir and large orchestra. 
For soprano and barytone soli, mixed choir and orchestra
Instrumentation: 4*4*4*4* 8 4*4*1 13 2 harps, piano doubling celesta, and str.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 08, 2023, 06:00:29 AMI've been enjoying Torbjorn Iwan Lundquist's massive Symphony No. 7.  Composed in 1988, this hour-long symphony is scored for soloists, choir and large orchestra. 
For soprano and barytone soli, mixed choir and orchestra
Instrumentation: 4*4*4*4* 8 4*4*1 13 2 harps, piano doubling celesta, and str.

I only know this one but I remember liking it:

Alex Bozman

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2023, 11:18:08 AMI only know this one but I remember liking it:

I have this cd and the 3rd Symphony on vinyl, which is a fine piece. There seem to be recordings of other symphonies, but haven't heard any of these (yet)

Symphonic Addict

Whenever I think of Lundquist, the first work that springs to mind is the astounding Symphony No. 4 'Sinfonia ecologica' because its gripping grandeur and powerful menacing atmosphere. One of my favorite one-movement symphonies for sure.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: Løvfald on April 08, 2023, 04:40:43 PMWhenever I think of Lundquist, the first work that springs to mind is the astounding Symphony No. 4 'Sinfonia ecologica' because its gripping grandeur and powerful menacing atmosphere. One of my favorite one-movement symphonies for sure.

I'm not familiar with that one but will add it to my list.

Alex Bozman

Quote from: Løvfald on April 08, 2023, 04:40:43 PMWhenever I think of Lundquist, the first work that springs to mind is the astounding Symphony No. 4 'Sinfonia ecologica' because its gripping grandeur and powerful menacing atmosphere. One of my favorite one-movement symphonies for sure.
You're tempting me as it's paired with the 3rd on cd.

vandermolen

relm1

Based on recommendations from Løvfald and Alex Bozman, I really enjoyed Torbjörn Iwan Lundquist's Symphony No. 3 and 4.  Very colorful and engaging music!  If you like Joly Braga Santos, Miloslav Kabeláč, Janis Ivanovs, László Lajtha, etc., you'll have a good idea of what to expect.  I even hear traces of Howard Hanson in No. 4. Dramatic and engaging 20th century symphonic music.  I really enjoyed the three symphonies I've heard from him so far (No. 3, 4, 7).  I suggest others who like mid-century European to investigate this composer's music.  They are accessible, colorful, and dramatic. 

Symphonic Addict

Thanks for ignoring my mention of his 4th Symphony.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on April 10, 2023, 04:28:06 PMBased on recommendations from Alex Bozman, I really enjoyed Torbjörn Iwan Lundquist's Symphony No. 3 and 4.  Very colorful and engaging music!  If you like Joly Braga Santos, Miloslav Kabeláč, Janis Ivanovs, László Lajtha, etc., you'll have a good idea of what to expect.  I even here traces of Howard Hanson in No. 4. Dramatic and engaging 20th century symphonic music.  I really enjoyed the three symphonies I've heard from him so far (No. 3, 4, 7).  I suggest others who like mid-century European to investigate this composer's music.  They are accessible, colorful, and dramatic. 

High praise from at least three of you! On the list. Thank you.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy