Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Varg on October 18, 2007, 05:13:04 PM
;D

Fortunately (for Harry's wallet!!) most of his works hasn't been recorded yet; in fact, i know of only a few.

O, dear , I came late to this thread, and I will investigate the matter thoroughly! ;D

Harry

Quote from: rubio on June 07, 2008, 10:31:03 AM
I would like to check out the composer Hugo Alfven. I see they have the Neemi Jarvi recordings of the symphonies 1-2-4-5 at my local library. Do you have a recommendation on which symphony I should check out first? What do you think of the merits of this composer?

By all means Jarvi, is the best way to start with Alfven's music. Start with the fifth symphony if you may. The merits, well you will hear that better as I can explain it. He opens a brand new world to you in every respect. A good orchestrator, and innovator.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: rubio on June 07, 2008, 10:31:03 AM
I would like to check out the composer Hugo Alfven. I see they have the Neemi Jarvi recordings of the symphonies 1-2-4-5 at my local library. Do you have a recommendation on which symphony I should check out first? What do you think of the merits of this composer?

Hello, Rubio! I personally like the First and Third Swedish Rhapsodies (aka 'Midsommarvaka' and 'Dalarapsodie') very much. And the Funeral Music for Gustav Adolf. And the symphonic poem 'Legend of the Skerries'. And the Second, Third and Fourth symphonies are excellent, very colourful and tuneful. His Fourth symphony (subtitled 'From the Outermost Skerries', a bit confusing...) is a symphony in one movement with two soloists whose voices wind in and out of the musical fabric. Not to sound too disrespectful, but the music seems to be 'erotic' and created quite a stir at its first performance. I think it's just beautiful. Here is a link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/112530331/Alfv_n__Hugo_-_Symphony_No._4__c-minor__op._39.mp3

(Stig Westerberg - Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

rubio

Quote from: Jezetha on June 07, 2008, 10:45:39 AM

Hello, Rubio! I personally like the First and Third Swedish Rhapsodies (aka 'Midsommarvaka' and 'Dalarapsodie') very much. And the Funeral Music for Gustav Adolf. And the symphonic poem 'Legend of the Skerries'. And the Second, Third and Fourth symphonies are excellent, very colourful and tuneful. His Fourth symphony (subtitled 'From the Outermost Skerries', a bit confusing...) is a symphony in one movement with two soloists whose voices wind in and out of the musical fabric. Not to sound too disrespectful, but the music seems to be 'erotic' and created quite a stir at its first performance. I think it's just beautiful. Here is a link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/112530331/Alfv_n__Hugo_-_Symphony_No._4__c-minor__op._39.mp3

(Stig Westerberg - Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra)

Thank you very much, Jezetha! I will listen to this work tomorrow and borrow some of the other ones from the library.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

kristopaivinen

These are my experiences of Finnish composers.

I think no Finnish composer deserves more attention than Toivo Kuula. I know him for his many songs which are quite popular among Finnish concertgoers. His songs, like Schubert's music, are romantic in style and filled with divine inspiration. He died tragically at the age of 35, after having stabbed a soldier in a party and being shot in the head in retaliation.

After Sibelius, I believe Leevi Madetoja was the most important among the national romantic composers. I know him best for his operas, Pohjalaisia and Juha, both of which contain some very lovely melodies.

Juha was also set to music by Aarre Merikanto, the principal Finnish modernist of the early 20th century. I haven't listened to his works a lot, so I don't know how highly to think of his music, but I regard him as a forerunner to Rautavaara. His father Oskar Merikanto composed well-known children's songs and whatnot.

Along with Sibelius, the most famous symphonist of the early 20th century was certainly Erkki Melartin, and his symphonies are distinguished from bearing little resemblance to the music of Sibelius. People describe his relationship to Mahler as similar to that of Schostakovich's, but I'm not sure what to think of him.

Joonas Kokkonen was an influential music teacher whose music bears much in common with expressionism. Personally, I've never been convinced by his music.

Aulis Sallinen is a composer I know very well. Symphonies, concertos, operas, chamber music... You name it, I've heard it. I was much interested in his music when I was younger. Nowadays I regard him as a competent composer, but none of his music really moves me much.

Then there's Rautavaara, whose 90's music I find breathtaking. You hardly find as much originality anywhere in these days except in Rautavaara's music. Although harmonically very different, he seems to write like the late Berg, and this produces very lyrical moments. I much recommend his late symphonies and his opera Aleksis Kivi. I should listen to his music more, and so should you.

Other living Finnish composers such as Magnus Lindberg, Kaija Saariaho and Esa-Pekka Salonen haven't interested me much, even though I've heard some of their works. There's the possibility that I'm too old-fashioned to appreciate them. Then there are some Finnish composers I haven't had the time to familiarize myself with. These include Fredrick Pacius, Armas Järnefelt, Robert Kajanus, Kalevi Aho and Paavo Heinonen. There is an incredible amount of Finnish composers - I would say a few too many.

Dundonnell

Quote from: kristopaivinen on June 08, 2008, 11:05:24 AM
These are my experiences of Finnish composers.

I think no Finnish composer deserves more attention than Toivo Kuula. I know him for his many songs which are quite popular among Finnish concertgoers. His songs, like Schubert's music, are romantic in style and filled with divine inspiration. He died tragically at the age of 35, after having stabbed a soldier in a party and being shot in the head in retaliation.

After Sibelius, I believe Leevi Madetoja was the most important among the national romantic composers. I know him best for his operas, Pohjalaisia and Juha, both of which contain some very lovely melodies.

Juha was also set to music by Aarre Merikanto, the principal Finnish modernist of the early 20th century. I haven't listened to his works a lot, so I don't know how highly to think of his music, but I regard him as a forerunner to Rautavaara. His father Oskar Merikanto composed well-known children's songs and whatnot.

Along with Sibelius, the most famous symphonist of the early 20th century was certainly Erkki Melartin, and his symphonies are distinguished from bearing little resemblance to the music of Sibelius. People describe his relationship to Mahler as similar to that of Schostakovich's, but I'm not sure what to think of him.

Joonas Kokkonen was an influential music teacher whose music bears much in common with expressionism. Personally, I've never been convinced by his music.

Aulis Sallinen is a composer I know very well. Symphonies, concertos, operas, chamber music... You name it, I've heard it. I was much interested in his music when I was younger. Nowadays I regard him as a competent composer, but none of his music really moves me much.

Then there's Rautavaara, whose 90's music I find breathtaking. You hardly find as much originality anywhere in these days except in Rautavaara's music. Although harmonically very different, he seems to write like the late Berg, and this produces very lyrical moments. I much recommend his late symphonies and his opera Aleksis Kivi. I should listen to his music more, and so should you.

Other living Finnish composers such as Magnus Lindberg, Kaija Saariaho and Esa-Pekka Salonen haven't interested me much, even though I've heard some of their works. There's the possibility that I'm too old-fashioned to appreciate them. Then there are some Finnish composers I haven't had the time to familiarize myself with. These include Fredrick Pacius, Armas Järnefelt, Robert Kajanus, Kalevi Aho and Paavo Heinonen. There is an incredible amount of Finnish composers - I would say a few too many.

Aare Merikanto deserves much more exposure. I would like to hear his symphonies. Ondine ought to record more Merikanto.

Can't agree with you about Kokkonen and Sallinen. I think that both are seriously good composers. Their symphonies and concertos are works to which I often return.

There is a thread about Kalevi Aho on this forum-

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,7786.0.html

"...few too many". There can never be enough good composers :)

The new erato

I was recently hugely impressed by Sallinens 4th symphony, stark, original (though obviously indebted to late Sibelius) and powerful.  And Kokkonens cello concerto obviously as a cello concerto that belongs in the canon of cello concertoes. Both composers are on my "to explore further" list.

mahler10th

Sallinen is much more than a 'competent' composer.  Some of his stuff is responsible for my brain doing timeshifts and unworldy travels. He is a composer of considerable skill, and he must have an idea what his music can do to someone innocently trying is music out.  I don't recommend trying it - I recommend getting it, and going to hear it performed.  Sallinen is a real Scandinavian treasure.

Harry

Quote from: mahler10th on June 09, 2008, 02:37:45 AM
Sallinen is much more than a 'competent' composer.  Some of his stuff is responsible for my brain doing timeshifts and unworldy travels. He is a composer of considerable skill, and he must have an idea what his music can do to someone innocently trying is music out.  I don't recommend trying it - I recommend getting it, and going to hear it performed.  Sallinen is a real Scandinavian treasure.

Thumbs up, agree completely!
As a rule, I bought first all the CPO discs with much of his works on it, and I will continue venturing into the BIS recordings, and from then on, I need advice. ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: mahler10th on June 09, 2008, 02:37:45 AM

Mahler10th - any Sallinen work you recommend to a newcomer? Erato mentioned the Fourth Symphony - I just listened to some excerpts on eMusic, which I liked... But what, do you think, should I listen to first?

And Harry - do you have any favourites?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Thom

Ì enjoyed this one very much:

Aulis Sallinen
Orchestral works and chamber music
Performers
Paavo Pohjola, violin
Frans Helmerson, cello
Voces Intimae Quartet
Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Helsinki Philarmonic
Okko Kamu, conductor
Paavo Berglund, conductor

1. Sinfonia (1971) 16'42
2. Chorali (1970) 11'35
Sinfonia III (1974-75):
6. Cadenze per violino solo (1965) 4'31
7. Elegy for Sebastian Knight, Op.10 (1964) 5'54
8. String Quartet No.3, Op.19 (1969) 12'10

1 CD - DDD - TT: 74'50

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on June 09, 2008, 03:20:18 AM
Mahler10th - any Sallinen work you recommend to a newcomer? Erato mentioned the Fourth Symphony - I just listened to some excerpts on eMusic, which I liked... But what, do you think, should I listen to first?

And Harry - do you have any favourites?

Of course my friend, see below.

Harry

Quote from: Thom on June 09, 2008, 03:33:44 AM
Ì enjoyed this one very much:

Aulis Sallinen
Orchestral works and chamber music
Performers
Paavo Pohjola, violin
Frans Helmerson, cello
Voces Intimae Quartet
Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Helsinki Philarmonic
Okko Kamu, conductor
Paavo Berglund, conductor

1. Sinfonia (1971) 16'42
2. Chorali (1970) 11'35
Sinfonia III (1974-75):
6. Cadenze per violino solo (1965) 4'31
7. Elegy for Sebastian Knight, Op.10 (1964) 5'54
8. String Quartet No.3, Op.19 (1969) 12'10

1 CD - DDD - TT: 74'50

That one is one my list also! :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for the reactions so far. Well, Thom and Harry have reacted, but where is Dick (Mahler10th)?  ;)

mahler10th

Dick is here!! :o
The thing is, I recommend what Harry has put down there because those are also what I have!!  Thom has also posted "Aulis Sallinen - Orchestral works and chamber music" and you couldn't get a much better place to start than that.  I found Sallinen first hearing him on Radio 3 (UK)...it was the second track on the album "Chorali" and I have been hooked since then.

Thom

Quote from: mahler10th on June 09, 2008, 04:50:57 AM
I found Sallinen first hearing him on Radio 3 (UK)...it was the second track on the album "Chorali" and I have been hooked since then.

Exactly. Chorali did the thing for me also. Great composer.

Thom

J.Z. Herrenberg

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on June 09, 2008, 05:26:35 AM
Right. I know enough.  :)

Oh no you don't :) I haven't spent a good few minutes scanning cd sleeves in vain!

The CPO version of Symphony No.1 is coupled with the Symphony No.7 "The Dreams of Gandalf" which draws on material composed for a projected ballet based on "The Hobbit"(which did not come to fruition). The 7th is a particularly grand work.

The CPO version of Symphony No.2 is coupled with No.4 but you get Sallinen's Horn Concerto for good measure-whereas the BIS version is coupled with the dramatic Symphony No.6 "From a New Zealand Diary" inspired by the wonderful scenery of that country. The BIS No.4 is coupled with No.5 "Washington Mosaics".

I might write more.....if you are still interested!! :)

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on June 09, 2008, 05:26:35 AM
Right. I know enough.  :)

The "Postbank" will give you a loan with cheap rates! ;D ;D

Dundonnell

It is odd that CPO-a company which normally seeks to record works not previously recorded-should be duplicating the earlier BIS recordings of Sallinen's first six symphonies! Never mind-Ari Rasilainen is a good young conductor and his insights are valuable.

Oh....and I should have added-