Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: eyeresist on June 25, 2008, 11:56:37 PM
Anyone heard of Sæverud? I enjoyed Orchestral Music Vol. 1 on Simax (2 CDs, HMV.jp incorrectly said only one). I'm no aficionado, so it sounds to me like standard mid-20th century (tonal) stuff, quite emotional and warmly orchestrated, not hugely tuneful. This set consists of one-movement symphonies and tone poems, plus the four movement 8th "Minnesota" symphony. A lot of Sæverud's stuff has been recorded for BIS.

Erato could tell you more about Sæverud. I remember him mentioning Sæverud once.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Yet, I wholeheartedly agree with all of your choices - always strange & special to read ones own preferences from some-one else. :-* ;)

In Englund, I prefer 4 and 5 above 1 and 2, however. And I would perhaps add:

Hugo Alfvén, Symphony no. 4 `Fran havsbandet'

Kurt Atterberg, Symphony no. 7 (first two movements are great, but the Scherzo is horrible, imo)

Gösta Nystroem, all `Sinfonias' that I happen to know

Some Lars-Erik Larsson

Geirr Tveitt, Hundrad hardingtonar (the four suites that remain)

Some Aulis Sallinen (I only know symphonies 1-3)

and again lots more, once one starts thinking about the abundancy of Scandinavian composers!

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Lilas Pastia

Did I mention Erland von Koch? Probably some pages back  ::). Well, then, he's worthy of the "exposure"  :D

Dundonnell

Pehr Nordgren-sorry, too 'advanced' for my tastes!

Karl Birger Blomdahl-haven't heard the opera 'Aniara' but the three symphonies are on BIS CD-611 and are all impressive works(the third, 'Facetter', from 1951 dark and powerful). Had a reputation as a modernist in his time but the symphonies are certainly accessible enough,

Erland von Koch-I only know him through a Musica Sveciae CD of the Symphony No.2 "Sinfonia Dalecarlia", Viola Concerto and some lighter music(it appears that he has written six symphonies and fifteen concertos and is still alive at the age of 98!). Pleasant stuff but not-I thought-particularly memorable music, influenced by Swedish folk music, but the works on that CD were all written when he was in his thirties so his style has probably evolved considerably).

Harald Saeverud-yes BIS has issued all of his symphonies(bar No.1 which he withdrew). A typically craggy Norwegian individualist. Undoubtedly the leading Norwegian symphonist and a very fine composer although-in my opinion-just slightly harder to comes to terms with than most of his Scandinavian contemporaries. Not that the music is more difficult-it isn't-but there is less 'warmth'(which is not really the right word!) than in other Scandinavians. Less of the brooding forests or dark lakes of Sweden or Finland and more of the fjords and jaggy peaks! (Will mean nothing if you don't know Scandinavia or don't associate music with landscape!)

karlhenning

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on June 26, 2008, 10:02:09 AM
Vagn Holmboe?

Probably the greatest Scandinavian composer post Sibelius and Nielsen!! Holmboe should be recognized as among the greatest of all 20th century composers. His cycle of 13 symphonies is quite superb!

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 26, 2008, 10:05:14 AM
Probably the greatest Scandinavian composer post Sibelius and Nielsen!! Holmboe should be recognized as among the greatest of all 20th century composers. His cycle of 13 symphonies is quite superb!

I've listened to the odd string quartet and chamber concerto (?) over the years, very favorable impressions.  I am pleased to find you think so highly of the symphonies, as I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on the set!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 26, 2008, 09:51:10 AM
Karl Birger Blomdahl-haven't heard the opera 'Aniara' but the three symphonies are on BIS CD-611 are are all impressive works(the third, 'Facetter', from 1951 dark and powerful). Had a reputation as a modernist in his time but the symphonies are certainly accessible enough,

I found Blomdahl's 'Aniara' on Usenet, two years ago. My interest was piqued because I knew that it was based on a science fiction poem by Swedish Nobel laureate Harry Martinson. Scandinavian literature in general interested (and interests) me very much. So I downloaded it, but haven't come round to listening to it yet. If people here want to have it, I can upload it.

Here more info on the poem (not the opera):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniara
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

pjme

I still have this old LP:

Turnabout TV-S 34318, LP, issued 1970: Contemporary symphonic music from Sweden.
Symphony No 6, Sinfonia semplice from 1951 played by Stockholms SO, Stig Westerberg recorded 1960-05-22.
Also includes Karl-Birger Blomdahl's third symphony, Facettes. I haven't checked if these performances are available on CD.

Excellent performances of two strong works, and Dundonnell gives all the information one needs.

I've never heard Aniara - but its dark and pessimistic theme remains up to date :

Controlled by the Mima, the space ship Aniara leaves the poisoned Earth, heading for Mars. The vessel is thrown off course, forcing a journey to the constellation Lyra which will last for the rest of the lives of crew and passengers. When the Earth is destroyed, Mima, the computer,cannot continue, and commander deals as best he can with the increased despair and moral deterioration of those aboard . The 20th anniversary of the voyage is celebrated and death is near, as the journey comes to its end.

The score is varied and makes full use of a range of musical idioms, including jazz, serial writing and an electronic tape. The narrative is sung primarily by Mimaroben, a bass-baritone, who operates the electronic tape, Mima, the computer, and by the chorus. In essence the opera (and poem) deal with the relationship between the individual and the group through time.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniara

P.

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on June 26, 2008, 10:07:57 AM
I've listened to the odd string quartet and chamber concerto (?) over the years, very favorable impressions.  I am pleased to find you think so highly of the symphonies, as I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on the set!

I'm sure that you wont regret that Karl. He was a great composer. My favourite symphonies: No 6 (beautiful opening), No 7, No 8 (my introduction to Vagn Holmboe on a Turnabout LP), No 4 (great opening)No 10, also the Cello Concerto
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on June 26, 2008, 10:07:57 AM

Yes, Holmboe wrote a series of 13 remarkable Chamber Concertos for all manner of instrumental combinations. I have the complete Dacapo set with the Dannish Radio Sinfonietta(Hannu Koivula) but BIS has issued a number as well in well-received performances.

One of my favourite Holmboe CDs contains the Four Symphonic Metamorphoses(BIS CD-852)-magnificent short pieces of very considerable power and concentration.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Christo met Holmboe. He is a big fan...

Maciek

Dundonnell

Quote from: Maciek on June 26, 2008, 12:05:21 PM
Who of whom? ;D

Sadly, Holmboe died in 1996 aged 87 so I would imagine that the "is" would suggest that it is Christo who is the fan :) :)

I believe that Holmboe was welcoming of contacts from those who cherished his music and responded to enquiries. Jeffrey, did you not write to him once?

J.Z. Herrenberg

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 26, 2008, 12:24:49 PM
Sadly, Holmboe died in 1996 aged 87 so I would imagine that the "is" would suggest that it is Christo who is the fan :) :)

I believe that Holmboe was welcoming of contacts from those who cherished his music and responded to enquiries. Jeffrey, did you not write to him once?

My letter from Vagn Holmboe:

".....Thank you very much for your letter from 8/9/93.  Unfortunately I could not write you before being in hospital for almost a half year.
Your letter has moved me, and I am grateful for your words about the symphonies.  It is difficult for me to express the pleasure your understanding and warm words has given me.
Yours sincerely
Vagn Holmboe"

Letter was dated 03/03/94. I was very touched to receive such a lovely reply to my unsolicited fan mail.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 26, 2008, 12:22:59 AM
Yet, I wholeheartedly agree with all of your choices - always strange & special to read ones own preferences from some-one else. :-* ;)

In Englund, I prefer 4 and 5 above 1 and 2, however. And I would perhaps add:

Hugo Alfvén, Symphony no. 4 `Fran havsbandet'

Kurt Atterberg, Symphony no. 7 (first two movements are great, but the Scherzo is horrible, imo)

Gösta Nystroem, all `Sinfonias' that I happen to know

Some Lars-Erik Larsson

Geirr Tveitt, Hundrad hardingtonar (the four suites that remain)

Some Aulis Sallinen (I only know symphonies 1-3)

and again lots more, once one starts thinking about the abundancy of Scandinavian composers!

I have just bought a Nystroem CD (The Tempest etc) which sounds v interesting. I should have added Alfven Symphony 4 to my list. With Atterberg, it is the 8th symphony which is my favourite, although I don't like the overblown last movement. I also like Nos 2,3 and7. No 9 was a disappointment.

Christo

One day, I should perhaps try and tell the story in full. In the short version it's something like: yes, I met Holmboe and his wife, Meta May Graf, in early August 1995, during a long afternoon meeting in his country house in the North of Sealand (some 25 miles North of Copenhagen). I taped the meeting and should play these audio recordings again in order to hear what exactly we discussed, in those 4 hours or so.

The couple kindly showed me their place and the huge tree garden they both built and planted themselves, when they bought a plot of land from the income of the price-winning Second Symphony (if I recall well) in the late 1930s. We were mostly drinking tea in the garden and enjoyed the scenery as much as our quiet talk.

It was in the time he was suffering the disease mentioned in his letter to Jeffrey. On the piano was the manuscript of his just finished Thirteenth Symphony, dedicated to conductor Orwain Arwel Hughes - in our conversation the couple payed much homage to Hughes, btw.

Yes, the man was as suggested here before: wise, extremely modest, warm, human, suffering, still searching and wondering, in short: impressive. He died a year later, as you all know. I was happy I had time to express in what I hope were sincere and sobre terms how much his music meant for me. It was quite special to be able to share thoughts on a number of symphonies, especially. Indeed, exactly the symphonies Jeffrey mentions, my own favourites as well - as those of Holmboe himself, as far as I can remember.

He revealed that some of these came to him as a revelation - he did use that specific term a couple of times - and in one specific case indeed literally in a dream. I myself would say that those `dream/revelationary' qualities in parts of e.g. the Fifth and Eight symphony are rather self-evident for some of us, here. Enough for now. I should listen to those tapes first and then write something of more substance.