Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Just for the record: I'm a fan too. Know all of his symphonies save for 6 and 7. Plus a handful of other pieces (mostly concertos).

Kullervo

Quote from: Jezetha on June 26, 2008, 10:24:31 AM
I found Blomdahl's 'Aniara' on Usenet, two years ago. My interest was piqued because I knew that it was based on a science fiction poem by Swedish Nobel Prize laureate Harry Martinson. Scandinavian literature in general interested (and interests) me very much. So I downloaded it, but haven't come round to listening to it yet. If people here want to have it, I can upload it.

Here more info on the poem (not the opera):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniara

I would love to hear it if it isn't too much trouble.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on June 26, 2008, 01:44:34 PM
I would love to hear it if it isn't too much trouble.

Watch this space...

Just having a listen: it's all in Swedish and I have no libretto...

http://rapidshare.com/users/8RDGKF

In this map are two movements from Gösta Nystroem's Sinfonia shakespeariana (No. 4), too.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on June 26, 2008, 01:23:30 PM
One day, I should perhaps try and tell the story in full. In the short version it's something like: yes, I met Holmboe and his wife, Meta May Graf, in early August 1995, during a long afternoon meeting in his country house in the North of Sealand (some 25 miles North of Copenhagen). I taped the meeting and should play these audio recordings again in order to hear what exactly we discussed, in those 4 hours or so.

The couple kindly showed me their place and the huge tree garden they both built and planted themselves, when they bought a plot of land from the income of the price-winning Second Symphony (if I recall well) in the late 1930s. We were mostly drinking tea in the garden and enjoyed the scenery as much as our quiet talk.

It was in the time he was suffering the disease mentioned in his letter to Jeffrey. On the piano was the manuscript of his just finished Thirteenth Symphony, dedicated to conductor Orwain Arwel Hughes - in our conversation the couple payed much homage to Hughes, btw.

Yes, the man was as suggested here before: wise, extremely modest, warm, human, suffering, still searching and wondering, in short: impressive. He died a year later, as you all know. I was happy I had time to express in what I hope were sincere and sobre terms how much his music meant for me. It was quite special to be able to share thoughts on a number of symphonies, especially. Indeed, exactly the symphonies Jeffrey mentions, my own favourites as well - as those of Holmboe himself, as far as I can remember.

He revealed that some of these came to him as a revelation - he did use that specific term a couple of times - and in one specific case indeed literally in a dream. I myself would say that those `dream/revelationary' qualities in parts of e.g. the Fifth and Eight symphony are rather self-evident for some of us, here. Enough for now. I should listen to those tapes first and then write something of more substance.

That is a most moving account! Thank you for sharing it with us!!

Whether Holmboe's time will come we must wait to see but I do share the obvious view that this was a most special composer. Perhaps if he had come from a larger country we would have heard his music more?

It is surprising that there have not been more recordings of his music. BIS is a Swedish company and one might have expected Dacapo, for example, to have provided an alternative series. In saying that, however, the BIS set of the symphonies is superbly played and Owain Arwel Hughes an inspired conductor of Holmboe's music. Hughes is a strange one. He has no great reputation in Britain. I once attended a concert conducted by him and it was no more than adequate. He records comparatively little and is probably less well known than many other conductors. He has been principal conductor of Aalborg Symphony Orchestra and the Welsh Proms. Yet in the Holmboe he rose to tremendous heights of dedication which Holmboe himself clearly acknowledged.

karlhenning

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 26, 2008, 09:51:10 AM
Pehr Nordgren-sorry, too 'advanced' for my tastes!

Karl Birger Blomdahl-haven't heard the opera 'Aniara' but the three symphonies are on BIS CD-611 and are all impressive works(the third, 'Facetter', from 1951 dark and powerful). Had a reputation as a modernist in his time but the symphonies are certainly accessible enough,

Erland von Koch-I only know him through a Musica Sveciae CD of the Symphony No.2 "Sinfonia Dalecarlia", Viola Concerto and some lighter music(it appears that he has written six symphonies and fifteen concertos and is still alive at the age of 98!). Pleasant stuff but not-I thought-particularly memorable music, influenced by Swedish folk music, but the works on that CD were all written when he was in his thirties so his style has probably evolved considerably).

Harald Saeverud-yes BIS has issued all of his symphonies(bar No.1 which he withdrew). A typically craggy Norwegian individualist. Undoubtedly the leading Norwegian symphonist and a very fine composer although-in my opinion-just slightly harder to comes to terms with than most of his Scandinavian contemporaries. Not that the music is more difficult-it isn't-but there is less 'warmth'(which is not really the right word!) than in other Scandinavians. Less of the brooding forests or dark lakes of Sweden or Finland and more of the fjords and jaggy peaks! (Will mean nothing if you don't know Scandinavia or don't associate music with landscape!)

I've dowloaded a lot of Saeverud's works available on BIS (about 6 cds worth in listening time) and listened to about half of them so far. He definitely rewards attention. Quite original and unlike any other composer, but still recognizably nordic in character.

Von Koch's works are sparsely represented on cd. And unfortunately I don't have those you mention!  I like his flute concerto, his guitar concerto, his Oxberg Variations and especially his orchestral trilogy Ritmi, Impulsi, Echi from the mid-sixties. It's about 36 minutes long and is a sort of symphonic suite. The Lappland Metamorfoser are great fun - the only work I have of his that is frankly folk-based.

Kullervo

Quote from: Jezetha on June 26, 2008, 01:47:14 PM
Watch this space...

Just having a listen: it's all in Swedish and I have no libretto...

http://rapidshare.com/users/8RDGKF

As always, a million thanks. Looks like the libretto can be bought rather cheaply (I googled "Aniara libretto"). I will give this a listen and possibly order one if I like it enough.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on June 26, 2008, 06:46:23 PM
As always, a million thanks. Looks like the libretto can be bought rather cheaply (I googled "Aniara libretto"). I will give this a listen and possibly order one if I like it enough.

Look here, Corey:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/BLOMDAHL-Aniara-Swedish-Radio-Westerberg-Anderberg_W0QQitemZ310061582053QQihZ021QQcategoryZ1588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Maciek on June 26, 2008, 01:37:56 PM
Just for the record: I'm a fan too. Know all of his symphonies save for 6 and 7. Plus a handful of other pieces (mostly concertos).

6 and 7 are two of the best, so you would enjoy them too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just listened to Englund's Symphony No. 2 two times. Excellent piece, with raw and lovely passages in about equal measure. The opening is magical, evoking wide open spaces. Englund scores with the utmost clarity and delicacy. I like it.

pjme

Seconded!  What I've heard ( Blackbird symph. /pianoconcerto nr 1 etc. Naxos) by Englund is more than "interesting" !

I really must take that CD out and give it a spin.
P.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: pjme on June 30, 2008, 01:42:24 PM
Seconded!  What I've heard ( Blackbird symph. /pianoconcerto nr 1 etc. Naxos) by Englund is more than "interesting" !

I really must take that CD out and give it a spin.
P.

Yes, it's the Naxos Second. Apart from Shostakovich, there are echoes of Prokofiev too. But they are not obtrusive. Englund has his own particular sound-world.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on June 30, 2008, 01:49:08 PM
Yes, it's the Naxos Second. Apart from Shostakovich, there are echoes of Prokofiev too. But they are not obtrusive. Englund has his own particular sound-world.

Listening to it too-again! You are quite right-there are echoes of Prokofiev.

I am jealous! You have all these fine symphonies to explore for the first time!

I am struck once more what an amazingly rich legacy of fine symphonic music a small country like Finland has produced this century-

Sibelius, Madetoja, Melartin, Merikanto, Klami, Englund, Kokkonen, Rautavaara, Sallinen, Aho to name only those with whom I am really familiar.
And there was a chap called Ernst Pingoud(1888-1942) who wrote three symphonies which I have never heard.

I wonder how much influence Finnish history had on some of these composers. Finland was ruled by Russia until the end of World War One, fought for and gained her independence during the Russian Civil War, fought Russia again during World War Two and then co-existed with Soviet Russia for another 45 years or so. I cannot believe that the music of Finland has not been powerfully impacted upon by the country's extraordinary myths and legends, magical landscape of forests and lakes and the bitter experience of war.

If only the Finnish language was not so unbelievably complex :)

pjme

I've had this CD for a while, but sold it.... Pingoud isn't Scriabin. Maybe the symphonies are better.These symphonic poems were ...bland.

P.

The new erato

Try this. 3 fine symphonies, playful, somewhat in the Shostakovich mold of nr 1 & 9, in very good sound as well!

J.Z. Herrenberg

EDVARD FLIFLET BRAEIN - never heard of him...

(I couldn't read the name on the cover, so I looked for it on the MDT site.)

Dundonnell

Quote from: pjme on June 30, 2008, 02:19:46 PM

I've had this CD for a while, but sold it.... Pingoud isn't Scriabin. Maybe the symphonies are better.These symphonic poems were ...bland.

P.

Hmm...I was just about to order that CD! Will have a second thought!

Dundonnell

Quote from: erato on June 30, 2008, 02:23:28 PM

Try this. 3 fine symphonies, playful, somewhat in the Shostakovich mold of nr 1 & 9, in very good sound as well!

Yes, I have that one though :)

"Playful" is a good word for these symphonies. Not masterpieces, though, I felt.

I wish Simax would give us a complete set of the Egge symphonies.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: pjme on June 30, 2008, 02:19:46 PM

P.

I like this disc!

Raitio is another composer worth exploring. But as can be seen from this discussion, artistic value is a very variable currency on the musical bourse. :D

The new erato

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 30, 2008, 05:34:17 PM

I wish Simax would give us a complete set of the Egge symphonies.
Sorely needed I think. And a new recording of Finn Mortensens op 5 symphony, widely regarded as the major modern, Norwegian symphony.