Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Quote from: 71 dB on December 06, 2008, 02:19:43 AM
Today it is the independence day of Finland so it's a good day to listen to Finnish composers.  :)

I will oblige with some Esa-Pekka Salonen and some Sallinen quartets.

Dundonnell

Every day is a good day for Finnish music :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 29, 2008, 01:09:43 PM
I have listened to the Dalarapsodi yet another time. It's in four sections - 1 and 3 are slow and dominated by the horn, with 1 having a rather serious introductory character and 3 a wonderfully lyrical one, with melodic/harmonic twists that sound... American; 2 and 4 are pastoral and lively, infused with a John Ireland-like acerbity.

Marvellous piece!

I have listened several times to Kallstenius's 'Dalarapsodie' again today; a wonderful work which I can't recommend strongly enough. A great discovery. Even my wife said: "This is not as bad as usual"  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2008, 01:14:23 PM
Even my wife said: "This is not as bad as usual"  ::)

Finally, a convincing argument for me!  ;) Now, even I will spoil my time with yet another Swede. The CD still costs GBP 12, but I'll order for it.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

I have listened several times to Kallstenius's 'Dalarapsodie' again today; a wonderful work which I can't recommend strongly enough. A great discovery. Even my wife said: "This is not as bad as usual"  ::)

Never in my entire life have I conceived of myself as the instigator of improved marital harmony :o :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 06, 2008, 01:31:46 PM
Never in my entire life have I conceived of myself as the instigator of improved marital harmony :o :)

:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Glad to see Kallstenius and the Davises are doing well...  ;) The Dalarapsodi is the kind of piece which, once heard, you seem to have known all your life.

[I have been absent from GMG lately, as some will have noticed, for all the right reasons (writing)]
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on December 06, 2008, 02:21:40 PM
Glad to see Kallstenius and the Davises are doing well...  ;) The Dalarapsodi is the kind of piece which, once heard, you seem to have known all your life.

[I have been absent from GMG lately, as some will have noticed, for all the right reasons (writing)]

Your absence is always noticed, Johan :) While you were away I lost my temper over our unwanted new 'member' and his/her/its insane posts :-[

Lilas Pastia

I raided a couple of second-hand store and among my purchases there's this utterly unknown (to me) composer:

Edvard Fliflet Braein (Norway, 1924-1976): symphonies 1 - 3 . On Simax Anybody knows him ?

Also in the haul is Langgard's Sinfonia interna (Dacapo).

Dundonnell

Very, very quickly before I finally go to bed!

Braein? Yes, I bought that cd when it came out. Pleasant enough works but certainly not a patch on the far greater Norwegian composers like Saeverud, Egge, Valen(though he is not to my own particular taste), Jensen, Groven, Soderlind or Haug. I thought all three symphonies rather lightweight to be honest :(

Lilas Pastia

That's what the liner notes say. But I was curious. I held off to a Hamerik disc (symphony 7 IIRC), as well as one by Norgärd and another composer, with works based on Andersen tales. Should I go back ? It's a clearance sale. My favourite second hand store is going out of business - after some 35 years...  :'(

CRCulver

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 06, 2008, 09:06:27 PM
That's what the liner notes say. But I was curious. I held off to a Hamerik disc (symphony 7 IIRC), as well as one by Norgärd and another composer, with works based on Andersen tales. Should I go back ? It's a clearance sale. My favourite second hand store is going out of business - after some 35 years...  :'(

If you like Norgard, then I'd suggest getting the disc with the Andersen cantata. It isn't as cheap as all Dacapo discs, but you can nonetheless find copies for around US$10 plus shipping. See my review at Amazon. "The Will of the Wisps Go to Town" is not one of Norgard's best works, but it has some good moments and possibly gives us a hint of what his Symphony No. 7, to be premiered next month, will sound like.

The new erato

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 06, 2008, 06:36:16 PM
Very, very quickly before I finally go to bed!

Braein? Yes, I bought that cd when it came out. Pleasant enough works but certainly not a patch on the far greater Norwegian composers like Saeverud, Egge, Valen(though he is not to my own particular taste), Jensen, Groven, Soderlind or Haug. I thought all three symphonies rather lightweight to be honest :(
Se my comments in the purchases thread where you didn't comment. So you know him afterall!

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on December 06, 2008, 02:21:40 PM

Pleased to hear it Johan (about the writing).

Musicweb review of the Kallstenius CD recommended by Colin. You may note the reference to Havergal Brian!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2001/June01/Kallstenius.htm

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: CRCulver on December 06, 2008, 10:23:55 PM
If you like Norgard, then I'd suggest getting the disc with the Andersen cantata. It isn't as cheap as all Dacapo discs, but you can nonetheless find copies for around US$10 plus shipping. See my review at Amazon. "The Will of the Wisps Go to Town" is not one of Norgard's best works, but it has some good moments and possibly gives us a hint of what his Symphony No. 7, to be premiered next month, will sound like.

Well, all I have to do is go back to the store and buy it. It's coupled with another Andersen inspired work (can't recall the composer's name). So far I have mixed feelings about Norgärd's music. Hope I like that one ! :)

Sef

Your recommendations have historically proved very fruitful for me. Just downloaded this from Amazon for 0.89c. Now that's what I call value for money.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sef on December 09, 2008, 08:27:44 AM
Your recommendations have historically proved very fruitful for me. Just downloaded this from Amazon for 0.89c. Now that's what I call value for money.

I am so sorry! You could have saved yourself the money! Jeffrey got the Dalarapsodi from me for nothing ;D

Sef

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 09, 2008, 09:09:31 AM
I am so sorry! You could have saved yourself the money! Jeffrey got the Dalarapsodi from me for nothing ;D
That's alright. My 89c has pushed me over the $25 limit and I got a free $5 download voucher! In the spirit of recommendations (and this particular thread) lets have some suggestions on what Scandinavian and Finnish composers work I should spend the money on.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sef on December 09, 2008, 09:32:26 AM
That's alright. My 89c has pushed me over the $25 limit and I got a free $5 download voucher! In the spirit of recommendations (and this particular thread) lets have some suggestions on what Scandinavian and Finnish composers work I should spend the money on.

Difficult question to answer without knowing what you are already familiar with. From your previous posts I see that you are a Pettersson admirer and you also have mentioned Atterberg and Rangstrom.

Have you explored the five symphonies of Wilhelm Peterson-Berger or the five of Hugo Alfven? If you like Atterberg and Rangstrom then these should appeal as well-lush, romantic, nationalist Swedish music.

Amongst the (slightly) more modern Swedish composers I like Gosta Nystroem, Dag Wiren and Karl-Biger Blomdahl.

Finns? Kokkonen, Englund and Sallinen. If you like Shostakovich then these composers would be riight up your street ;D
Norwegians-Saeverud(craggy, individualistic)
Danes-Holmboe(one of the greatest of all 20th century composers in my opinion).

vandermolen

Quote from: Sef on December 09, 2008, 08:27:44 AM

I am very pleased. The middle section is a very beautiful heart-felt piece which I hope you enjoy as much as I do.