Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

Listening again after several years to Kjell Mork Karlsen's Symphony No.3 I now realize my description of it as
"gripping and powerful" suffered alot from the hyperbole of an idealized recollection.  Somewhere between
"potent and involving" and just "engaging and interesting" would be my more temperate response now.
I still hear many Petterssonian type sounds in the piece (though a kind of slow-motion-like Pettersson), but what's completely lacking are those lyrical visionary islands of consolation and transcendence that often surface out of the tumult in a Pettersson symphony.  There's nothing really at all thematically memorable in the Karlsen, - it depends entirely on atmosphere to make its effect.  Makes me think now of Christopher Rouse's 1rst Symphony, which I always thought had affinities with A.P.   

Dundonnell

Quote from: J on February 27, 2009, 11:26:49 AM
Listening again after several years to Kjell Mork Karlsen's Symphony No.3 I now realize my description of it as
"gripping and powerful" suffered alot from the hyperbole of an idealized recollection.  Somewhere between
"potent and involving" and just "engaging and interesting" would be my more temperate response now.
I still hear many Petterssonian type sounds in the piece (though a kind of slow-motion-like Pettersson), but what's completely lacking are those lyrical visionary islands of consolation and transcendence that often surface out of the tumult in a Pettersson symphony.  There's nothing really at all thematically memorable in the Karlsen, - it depends entirely on atmosphere to make its effect.  Makes me think now of Christopher Rouse's 1rst Symphony, which I always thought had affinities with A.P.   

I am still interested ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 24, 2009, 06:15:07 AM
CPO has just released a cd of two symphonies(No.1 "Zion" and No.2 "Hellas") by the Danish composer Rudolph Simonsen(1889-1947)-

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Rudolph%20Simonsen%3A%20Symphonien%20Nr.%201%202/hnum/9784248

Simonsen is (yet another) totally unknown name to me ;D He appears to have been a Danish Jew, a successful and important music administrator in succession to Carl Nielsen and the composer of four symphonies in total.  The Symphony No.2 won a bronze medal in the arts competition for the 1928 Olympic Games 8) and has been recorded before(Danacord recording from 1954 conducted by Launy Grondahl): review-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2001/Mar01/Danish.htm

The comparisons in the review with VW's 4th and Stanley Bates' 3rd sound promising :)

There appears to be no end to CPO's capacity to unearth forgotten composers ;D

Colin (Dundonnell) made me buy this CD (at enormous personal expense I point out) but it was worth it. A GREAT CD. The absolutely beautiful slow movement of Simonsensen's Symphony No 2 "Hellas" had me in tears (not necessarily a difficult thing in itself :'() and I am delighted to be introduced to this great composer - I know that I look out for 'undeservedly neglected composers' - but I really think that this is something quite special. The symphonies, from the 1920s do show the influence of Simonsen's great compatriot - Nielsen, and Respighi at times, but he is his own man too. Like Braga Santos (remember him?  ;D) Simonsen made no effort to promote his own music, preferring to concentrate on his work as a teacher and educator and in spending his time reading the work of philosophers like Spinoza. He sounds an endearing character (sadly there is no photo of him in the CPO booklet). "He had a fluent command of Greek, Latin and Hebrew...[and remained]...a somewhat unpractical person." As a Danish Jew he had to flee, with his family, to Sweden in 1943 (the Danes, were the only country to make any serious effort to save their jews from extermination at the hands of the Nazis) - but he never recovered from this and died "prematurely aged" at aged 58 in 1947.

I think that he is a great composer.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

I absolutely deny the charge that I  "made you buy" this Simonsen cd, Jeffrey $:)

I drew its existence to the attention of other members of this site. You were perfectly entitled to think "oh, that's another completely unknown obscure composer that Colin has found; I shall wait to hear what others think of the music before I even consider buying the cd myself".

I don't think that being caught smuggling new cds into your house and telling Katy that "Colin made me buy it" will cut much ice with your dear wife ;D ;D

Anyway.....it sounds good and I shall-naturally-have to buy the cd myself :) Who needs to buy anything to eat? ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 28, 2009, 01:08:57 PM
I absolutely deny the charge that I  "made you buy" this Simonsen cd, Jeffrey $:)

I drew its existence to the attention of other members of this site. You were perfectly entitled to think "oh, that's another completely unknown obscure composer that Colin has found; I shall wait to hear what others think of the music before I even consider buying the cd myself".

I don't think that being caught smuggling new cds into your house and telling Katy that "Colin made me buy it" will cut much ice with your dear wife ;D ;D

Anyway.....it sounds good and I shall-naturally-have to buy the cd myself :) Who needs to buy anything to eat? ;D

:) Yes, you need to hear this Colin, especially the two wonderful symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

And another symphonist I have to add to the list...

Wasn't the symphony supposed to have died in the 20th century?! If CPO (and others) go on like this, there hasn't been a better one.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Grazioso

Quote from: Jezetha on March 02, 2009, 11:59:15 AM
And another symphonist I have to add to the list...

Wasn't the symphony supposed to have died in the 20th century?! If CPO (and others) go on like this, there hasn't been a better one.

I know what you mean. When I started listening to classical music, I always associated the "era of the symphony" with the 19th century, but have come to see that the 20th century was where the form truly bloomed with astounding diversity and quality.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Dundonnell

I recently purchased and have now listened to this disc of two symphonies by the recently deceased Finnish composer Pehr Henrik Nordgren.

I have to say that this music is just exactly why Scandinavian music gets the reputation of being 'gloomy' and 'dark'. I have seldom heard such bleak music! Nordgren sounds like a more modern Finnish Allan Pettersson. Sure there are a few rather grand brass fanfares in Symphony No.3 but they tend to be swamped by a quick return to desolation and lamentation. Symphony No.5 is so downbeat that I felt that I was actually dreaming rather than paying it sufficient attention.

I have no doubts of Nordgren's sincerity and musical integrity but I cannot honestly say that i am impelled to return quickly to his music.

Lilas Pastia

Maybe his film music for many Bergman films would be more palatable?

vandermolen

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 03, 2009, 07:02:37 PM
Maybe his film music for many Bergman films would be more palatable?

I have such a CD - very atmospheric music which I enjoyed. Unfortunately it does not include his music for The Seventh Seal - probably his finest film score.

matti

Those are two different composers. Pehr Henrik Nordgren most certainly did not compose anything for Bergman, Erik Nordgren did.

Lilas Pastia

See? One learns something new everyday   :D

Coincidentally,  a review of Norgard's quartets 7-10 in the J-F American Record Guide issue begins thus: "The prevalence of Nor composers in Denmark never ceases to amaze and amuse me. There's Nordheim and Nordgren and Nordentoft, Norby, Norholm and Nordstrom. How do you tell them part?)"

I had no idea there was more than one Nordgren ! Can we have some details ? I think we have unearthed a good vein here  :).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 05, 2009, 08:27:53 PM
See? One learns something new everyday   :D

Coincidentally,  a review of Norgard's quartets 7-10 in the J-F American Record Guide issue begins thus: "The prevalence of Nor composers in Denmark never ceases to amaze and amuse me. There's Nordheim and Nordgren and Nordentoft, Norby, Norholm and Nordstrom. How do you tell them part?)"

I had no idea there was more than one Nordgren ! Can we have some details ? I think we have unearthed a good vein here  :).

Been there, done that ;D

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,9.36920.html

But you are quite correct-it IS very confusing ;D

Christo

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 05, 2009, 08:27:53 PM

Simply by spelling their names correctly – and placing them in the right country (when will you Anglo-Saxons ever learn .....  ;)  ;)). E.g.:

Anne Nordheim (Norway 1931)
Ib Nørholm (Denmark 1931)
Per Nørgård (Denmark 1932)
Erik Norby (Denmark 1936)
Hans-Hendrick Nordstrom (Denmark 1947)
Anders Nordentoft (Denmark 1957)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

"you Anglo-Saxons" ???

There are plenty descendents of the Saxons in the northern and eastern parts of the Netherlands, as you know :)

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Harry on April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM
Lets make a thread about Scandinavian composers.
I start with a few 20th century composers that I listen to now, and impress me mightily.

Rautavaara/Madetoja/Merikanto/Kokkonen/Bergman/Klami/Englund and so on.
Would love lots of input, to increase my knowledge and collection of the composers mentioned, and recommended.
Thanks

There are so many excellent Scandinavian composers, far too many to itemize here.  I can, however, mention my favorites.  The first is the almighty Sibelius; love almost all his works.  One Finnish composer influenced by the maestro is Leevi Madetoja.  He is mentioned, I believe, elsewhere in the forum.  I also recommend the following composers without, however listing specific works: Uno Klami, Merrikanto, Pingoud, Raitio ( I love his music; not prolific but is sensitive, subtle, symphonic poem composer); Einer England; Rautavaara (sp?); Sallinen.  In Denmark of course there is the master Carl Nielson;  I like the work of the Norwegian Klaus Egge (particularly the Piano Concerto); Johansen; Svendsen; Groven.  Dag Wiren and Hilding rosenberg are the two favorites of mine from Sweden.  These are just a few notables from the 1st half of the 20th century.  I'm certain there were composers writig in the 70's, 80's, 90's but other than the finnish composers I don't know who is current. You've probably already received much info from your initial posting.

matti

Quote from: schweitzeralan on March 09, 2009, 12:21:54 PM
There are so many excellent Scandinavian composers, far too many to itemize here.  I can, however, mention my favorites.  The first is the almighty Sibelius; love almost all his works.  One Finnish composer influenced by the maestro is Leevi Madetoja.  He is mentioned, I believe, elsewhere in the forum.  I also recommend the following composers without, however listing specific works: Uno Klami, Merrikanto, Pingoud, Raitio ( I love his music; not prolific but is sensitive, subtle, symphonic poem composer); Einer England; Rautavaara (sp?); Sallinen.  In Denmark of course there is the master Carl Nielson;  I like the work of the Norwegian Klaus Egge (particularly the Piano Concerto); Johansen; Svendsen; Groven.  Dag Wiren and Hilding rosenberg are the two favorites of mine from Sweden.  These are just a few notables from the 1st half of the 20th century.  I'm certain there were composers writig in the 70's, 80's, 90's but other than the finnish composers I don't know who is current. You've probably already received much info from your initial posting.

At the expence of being considered a nit-picker (which I definitely am and which has been proven earlier in this thread... ;D) I just have to correct a few spellings in your post (I suspect you wrote those names without checking the spelling and you did well). However, if I spelled your big boy, Frank Martian, incorrectly, you would also respond.  ;)

Uuno Klami. Merikanto, with one r only. Einar Englund. Rautavaara was correctly spelled. And on behalf of the Danes, it's Nielsen.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: matti on March 09, 2009, 01:39:57 PM
At the expence of being considered a nit-picker (which I definitely am and which has been proven earlier in this thread... ;D) I just have to correct a few spellings in your post (I suspect you wrote those names without checking the spelling and you did well). However, if I spelled your big boy, Frank Martian, incorrectly, you would also respond.  ;)

Uuno Klami. Merikanto, with one r only. Einar Englund. Rautavaara was correctly spelled. And on behalf of the Danes, it's Nielsen.

Yes, I know; I wrote it all out quickly.  Thanks for the reply.  There's a lot of info on this thread.

Dundonnell

I have been listening recently to a number of Norwegian symphonies by composers previously unknown to me(and I have a lot more to come shortly ;D). These have included two impressive symphonies by Stale Kleiberg, Oistein Sommerfeldt's Sinfonia "La Betulla" and Harald Lie's Symphony No.2. The most attractive however has been Alf Hurum's Symphony.

Hurum was born in 1882 and was one of the first Norwegian composers to have been influenced by Debussy. After studying in Berlin with Max Bruch, Hurum lived in Paris for a year before the First World War and then, during the war, studied in St.Petersburg with Rimsky-Korsakov's son-in-law, Maximilian Steinberg. Most remarkably however is the fact that after becoming conductor of the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra Hurum settled in Honolulu in 1932 and devoted himself to painting.

His Symphony was written in 1927 in California(although it was first performed in Bergen). Both the symphony and the symphonic poem 'Bendik and Aarolilja' are really splendid examples of Nordic tone painting. Lovers of Sibelius, Atterberg, Rangstrom, Peterson-Berger, for example, would respond equally well to Hurum's idiom which is epic and very northern.

Highly recommended.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 08, 2009, 02:57:26 PM
"you Anglo-Saxons" ???

There are plenty descendents of the Saxons in the northern and eastern parts of the Netherlands, as you know :)

And plenty of non-saxons living in North America  :D

Generalizations often occur when you imagine NA from a european POV  ;) ;).