Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: J on March 30, 2009, 03:20:50 PM
BTW, Michael Herman is apparently preparing a Scandinavian Symphonies recordings discography for MusicWeb (I wonder if it will include Finland).  Given the usefulness of his other work along these lines I look forward to that with some anticipation.

OH NO!! Not more suggestions!!!

I shall need to come out of retirement and get another job to pay for the cds I didn't know about ;D

(Seriously, his lists of British and Commonwealth Symphonies and Concertos to which he has now added Belgian, Dutch, French  and Swiss Symphonies represent a marvellous achievement :) I see that our own pjme helped with the research. Thanks to Peter :))

vandermolen

Have been greatly enjoying the wartime Symphony by Ludvig Irgens Jensen, it has the most wonderful inspiriting opening.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 30, 2009, 05:24:59 PM
OH NO!! Not more suggestions!!!

I shall need to come out of retirement and get another job to pay for the cds I didn't know about ;D

(Seriously, his lists of British and Commonwealth Symphonies and Concertos to which he has now added Belgian, Dutch, French  and Swiss Symphonies represent a marvellous achievement :) I see that our own pjme helped with the research. Thanks to Peter :))

I know Mike since 1977! thanks to an add in the Gramophone.( and many tapes & cassettes sent from Belgium to the Us and vice versa)

Dundonnell

If you are in regular contact with Mike, Peter, please pass on my respect and admiration for the work he is doing :)

pjme

vandermolen

Can't recommend this strongly enough (thanks to Greg). A wonderful CD. The symphonic poem and Symphony are truly marvellous. Hurum (1882-1972) was a Norwegian and conductor of the Honolulu SO ! (his wife was from Honolulu). These works would, I think, appeal to admirers of Vaughan Williams. He was apparently the first Norwegian composer to imbrace impressionism in music - the critics initially 'turned their noses up' at the music but he gained increasing acceptance and together with Rudolph Simonsen, he is the best discovery for me this year:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Van, I see an SQ on that Hurum cd. Reviews? please!

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on May 20, 2009, 09:50:13 PM
Van, I see an SQ on that Hurum cd. Reviews? please!

SQ is a lovely, engaging work, very lyrical with a strong sense of nature and a great foil to the two orchestral works with which it is coupled. This is my most played CD at the moment.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2009, 11:21:31 PM
SQ is a lovely, engaging work, very lyrical with a strong sense of nature and a great foil to the two orchestral works with which it is coupled. This is my most played CD at the moment.

After the big surprise offered by Irgens-Jensen's Symphony (after I was urged to buy it in a nocturnal posting by on overwhelmed Dundonnell  ;D ) I decided to give Alf Hurum (1882-1972, actually I had never heard of him before  :-X ) and his Symphony (1927 I think) a try too. Ordered for a copy.  ;) You will hear more from me.  0:)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 21, 2009, 12:23:21 PM
After the big surprise offered by Irgens-Jensen's Symphony (after I was urged to buy it in a nocturnal posting by on overwhelmed Dundonnell  ;D ) I decided to give Alf Hurum (1882-1972, actually I had never heard of him before  :-X ) and his Symphony (1927 I think) a try too. Ordered for a copy.  ;) You will hear more from me.  0:)

Will be interested to hear your views - hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Did you discover Rudolph Simonsen yet (symphonies 1 and 2 on CPO)?

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2009, 11:32:17 AM
Can't recommend this strongly enough (thanks to Greg). A wonderful CD. The symphonic poem and Symphony are truly marvellous. Hurum (1882-1972) was a Norwegian and conductor of the Honolulu SO ! (his wife was from Honolulu). These works would, I think, appeal to admirers of Vaughan Williams. He was apparently the first Norwegian composer to imbrace impressionism in music - the critics initially 'turned their noses up' at the music but he gained increasing acceptance and together with Rudolph Simonsen, he is the best discovery for me this year:

Well done for continuing to promote Hurum's music, Jeffrey ;D You are absolutely right in what you say! Johan, you should love it ;D

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 21, 2009, 12:36:37 PM
Will be interested to hear your views - hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Did you discover Rudolph Simonsen yet (symphonies 1 and 2 on CPO)?

These days, I usually only "discover" more work to do or more little kids too feed.  :) Cannot find much time to listen to music, but I did enjoy the Irgens-Jensen Symphony a lot, played Rued Langgaard again and also some Englund and Tubin - to remain with the topic of this thread - and I keep returning to William Wordsworth's Second and Third, courtesy Dundonnell.

I hope to smuggle a copy of the Rudolph Simonsen symphonies into my house as soon as CPO decides to put it on offer.  0:)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 21, 2009, 10:26:03 PM

I hope to smuggle a copy of the Rudolph Simonsen symphonies into my house as soon as CPO decides to put it on offer.  0:)

Disgraceful behaviour  ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 22, 2009, 02:18:05 AM
Disgraceful behaviour  ;D

This from "the King of the South Coast Smugglers" :o

vandermolen

Ten thumbs

So many posts and no one has mentioned Elfrida Andrée, a Swedish composer taught by Ludvig Norman. Her second symphony is available on disc but has anyone heard it?
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Lilas Pastia

No. But Norman's own second symphony is a very engaging work.

vandermolen

Have been playing the Hurum SQ - very lovely. In fact the Hurum CD (above) is one of the few I play right through as I enjoy all three works very much. One of the great things about this forum is discovering works like this (thanks Greg  :)) - works that I would probably never come across otherwise - of course I now have no money, my wife and daughter are destitute and the house will be re-possessed by the bank and we shall all be thrown on the street and can't afford food, so will be reliant on soup-kitchens - but it is great to discover all these CDs  ;D ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2009, 01:07:07 AM
Have been playing the Hurum SQ - very lovely. In fact the Hurum CD (above) is one of the few I play right through as I enjoy all three works very much. One of the great things about this forum is discovering works like this (thanks Greg  :)) - works that I would probably never come across otherwise - of course I now have no money, my wife and daughter are destitute and the house will be re-possessed by the bank and we shall all be thrown on the street and can't afford food, so will be reliant on soup-kitchens - but it is great to discover all these CDs  ;D ;D

First of all...I don't believe you :) We all know how much money school teachers are paid in Great Britain so you can well afford an endless supply of new cds. In any case,unless you are stealing money from your dear wife(which I don't believe), you can rely on her to pay the mortgage and buy the food.
And...even if the worst came to the worst and you were forced to move out of your house you could build another one out of your cd collection ;D

Dundonnell

The latest edition-on Scandinavian symphonies- of Michael Herman's quite superb series of discographies is now available on Musicweb:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Scandinavian_symphonies/index.htm