Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Robert on April 18, 2007, 01:52:24 PM
Harry,
If you are not familiar with Norgard I would start with his third symphony (da capo  224041 Veto, or Segerstam chandos 9491) and then listen to his piano concerto (also on the Segerstam disc with Sym 3)that should be a wonderful beginning..but I would not overlook his violin concerto (Helle nacht) Kontra, EMI 749869, Happy listening.....

O my dear, another one hits the list!
Thanks Robert, I will write that down and order in due course.

SonicMan46

Louis Glass (1864-1936) - String Sextet, Op. 15 & Piano Quintet, Op. 22 w/ a group of Danish string players; performances & CPO sound are excellent - prefer the latter work w/ piano - 4/5* review from Scott Morrison on Amazon.

Just getting into this composer - an exact contemporary of Carl Nielsen, who seemed to better escape the older Romantic traditions & enter the 20th century w/ much 'fresher' ideas - short bio of Glass before the pics (from the Naxos web site); the only other work that I own of this composer includes the Violin & Cello Sonatas, on the CPO label and enjoyable - I would like to explore his Symphonies, which seem to be his most respected orchestral works - any recommendations?  :D

QuoteLouis Glass was an exact contemporary of Carl Nielsen, and was one of the most important and consistent Late Romantic composers in Denmark. His artistic integrity was highly esteemed, but his reflective idiom did not win him general popularity. From his studies abroad Louis Glass brought home inspiration from Bruckner, Wagner and César Franck, and especially after his personal immersion in Theosophy produced a series of large-scale independent works. In his six symphonies we find an unusually sure grasp of the technical and intellectual aspects of music. The Third and Fourth Symphonies are monumental, the Fifth Symphony is a high point of Danish Symbolism, while the Sixth was a vain attempt to revive National Romanticism. To these we can add many other orchestral works, including a Fantasia for piano and orchestra, and the Theosophical ballet Artemis. Glass was both a pianist and a cellist, and his chamber works are very well-written. After the deaths of Glass and Nielsen, Glass' music was ousted from the musical milieu by the standard-bearers of Nielsen, and only in recent years have we re-discovered how he complements the Danish culture of the turn of the century in a very personal way.

Harry

Great piece Dave, interesting composer too. Will of course dive into this one too.
Are there any symphonies recorded?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on April 23, 2007, 12:29:09 PM
Great piece Dave, interesting composer too. Will of course dive into this one too.
Are there any symphonies recorded?

Harry - thanks - check this link to Arkiv Music - Todorov (not sure who he is?) appears to have recorded much of Glass's orchestral works, not sure 'how much' is in print; also, I believe Naxos is 'picking up the baton' on this composer - he seems to be re-emerging from obscurity! Something, I think, we both like to see!  ;D  Also, notice some String Quartets et al; hopefully, others might 'chime in' w/ some personal experience w/ available recordings of Glass.  Dave

SonicMan46

Well, a large order arrived in the mail today, mostly composers related to this thread -  :D

Niels Gade (1817-1890) - Octet, Op. 17 & Sextet, Op. 44 - Schumann & Mendelssohn were early 'champions' of Gade's works, the former writing articles in his famous periodical of the time & the latter performing Gade's first symphony; Gade apparently 'adored' Mendelssohn, and his early death in 1847 was likely a devasatating blow for Gade, who shortly in 1848 composed the Octet on this disc in memory of his friend - the work is delightful, played well, and recorded superbly (can't praise that MDG label enough!).

Gade's Symphonies w/ Christopher Hogwood & the Danish National Radio SO - picked up 3 volumes, and listening to Vol. 1 (Symphonies Nos. 2 & 8*); also purchased Vols. 2 & 4 - will need to reserve comments until later, although the reviews read seemed to be excellent - although a little surprising for me to see 'Hog' in this repertoire?  ::)  If interested, a short bio below the pics from the Naxos web site - enjoy -  :)

QuoteThe Danish composer Niels Gade started his musical career as a violinist in the Danish Royal Orchestra. His first success as a composer came in 1840 with his overture Echoes of Ossian. His First Symphony was accepted by Mendelssohn and performed by the Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig, where the composer met Mendelssohn and Schumann, succeeding the former as conductor of the Gewandhaus Orchestra in 1847. The following year he returned to Denmark, where he came to assume a leading position in the musical life of the country, writing music in a style greatly influenced by Mendelssohn and Schumann.

Orchestral Music

Gade's orchestral music includes eight symphonies, a Violin Concerto and several concert overtures, with an evocative A Summer's Day in the Country, five pieces for orchestra.

Chamber Music

Gade's chamber music includes one mature String Quartet and two String Quintets, a String Sextet and String Octet, Fantasiestücke for clarinet and piano and three Violin Sonatas.

Piano Music

Piano music by Gade, items of which once formed a general part of popular amateur repertoire, includes a Piano Sonata, Fantasy Pieces and Akvareller (Water-Colours), attractive brief sketches.

Vocal and Choral Music

Gade's vocal and choral music ranges from the Wagnerian Baldur's Dream. The cantatas Zion and Psyche were written for the Birmingham Festival, testimony to the international reputation of Gade, while the earlier Comala reflects his interest in Ossian and Elverskud (Elf-King's Daughter) is Scandinavian in choice of subject and treatment. In his later music Gade's nationalism was subsumed in the German musical idiom that he had experienced in Leipzig.

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2007, 02:12:37 PM
Harry - thanks - check this link to Arkiv Music - Todorov (not sure who he is?) appears to have recorded much of Glass's orchestral works, not sure 'how much' is in print; also, I believe Naxos is 'picking up the baton' on this composer - he seems to be re-emerging from obscurity! Something, I think, we both like to see!  ;D  Also, notice some String Quartets et al; hopefully, others might 'chime in' w/ some personal experience w/ available recordings of Glass.  Dave

I ordered a few of his SQ on Da Capo, just to sample what he is about.

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2007, 03:36:08 PM
Niels Gade (1817-1890) - Octet, Op. 17 & Sextet, Op. 44 - Schumann & Mendelssohn were early 'champions' of Gade's works, the former writing articles in his famous periodical of the time & the latter performing Gade's first symphony; Gade apparently 'adored' Mendelssohn, and his early death in 1847 was likely a devasatating blow for Gade, who shortly in 1848 composed the Octet on this disc in memory of his friend - the work is delightful, played well, and recorded superbly (can't praise that MDG label enough!).

This MDG I have, and indeed it is wonderful, the music and recording! :)

71 dB

I have one Gade discs:

String Quartet in F major, Allegro in A minor, Andante and Allegro molto in F minor & Octet in F major, Op. 17 - The Kontra Quartet - BIS.

It's good in my opinion. energetic and well recorded.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

That's absolutely a very fine disc.
In my listening notes from years ago, I was very enthusiastic. :)

Hector

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2007, 03:36:08 PM
Well, a large order arrived in the mail today, mostly composers related to this thread -  :D

Gade's Symphonies w/ Christopher Hogwood & the Danish National Radio SO - picked up 3 volumes, and listening to Vol. 1 (Symphonies Nos. 2 & 8*); also purchased Vols. 2 & 4 - will need to reserve comments until later, although the reviews read seemed to be excellent - although a little surprising for me to see 'Hog' in this repertoire?  ::)  If interested, a short bio below the pics from the Naxos web site - enjoy -  :)

His name adorns the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.

How times and tastes change.

The 1st Symphony is a pleasant piece of Menelssohniana and no harm in that.

However, I am reluctant to dip my toe further into the composers symphonies as, I am reliably informed, he hardly developed over a long life.

SonicMan46

Well, just getting into listening to the Gade Symphonies w/ Hogwood, but for those who may want some more concrete comments, CLICK on the images below from Classics Today - all of these volumes received 9/9 to 10/10 ratings - I've listened to only one of the volumes, so far:

Haffner

I seriously doubt that you forgot the magnificent Grieg, Harry!

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 24, 2007, 08:16:38 AM
Well, just getting into listening to the Gade Symphonies w/ Hogwood, but for those who may want some more concrete comments, CLICK on the images below from Classics Today - all of these volumes received 9/9 to 10/10 ratings - I've listened to only one of the volumes, so far:

I am certainly very interested of what you think of these full priced Chandos recordings. Paying it, means that you are convinced of its quality, right.
Don't forget dear friend! :)

Harry

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 08:18:46 AM
I seriously doubt that you forgot the magnificent Grieg, Harry!

Well I did not, but I did not mention him either.
Fie against my self, and hail to Andy for calling out loud, Grieg.
His wonderful Symphony, and piano works, not to forget the SQ, and other chambermusic.
And what about the piano concerto, or Peer Gynt.......

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on April 24, 2007, 08:20:18 AM
I am certainly very interested of what you think of these full priced Chandos recordings. Paying it, means that you are convinced of its quality, right.
Don't forget dear friend! :)

Harry - picked up 3 of these Gade discs via the Amazon Marketplace (about $12 each, so 2/3 price?  ;)) - doubt that these will be popular, so I suspect to see them showing up on BRO in the near future or packaged a twofers by Chandos!    :)

Haffner

Quote from: Harry on April 24, 2007, 08:24:21 AM
Well I did not, but I did not mention him either.
Fie against my self, and hail to Andy for calling out loud, Grieg.
His wonderful Symphony, and piano works, not to forget the SQ, and other chambermusic.
And what about the piano concerto, or Peer Gynt.......

Probably my girl's favorite composer. She just adores the piano/violin works, as well as his chamber music in general. I always looked upon Grieg as having been the composer whom pushed Robert Schumann's goals further...

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 24, 2007, 08:30:38 AM
Harry - picked up 3 of these Gade discs via the Amazon Marketplace (about $12 each, so 2/3 price?  ;)) - doubt that these will be popular, so I suspect to see them showing up on BRO in the near future or packaged a twofers by Chandos!    :)

Well if you like them, I hope so, could buy them cheaper huh? ;D
But seriously, I really am curious to how you will find them! :)

Harry

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 08:30:56 AM

Probably my girl's favorite composer. She just adores the piano/violin works, as well as his chamber music in general. I always looked upon Grieg as having been the composer whom pushed Robert Schumann's goals further...

But not so anymore now Andy?

Haffner

Quote from: Harry on April 24, 2007, 08:41:51 AM
But not so anymore now Andy?

Edvard Grieg is an incredible composer. I love to listen to Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor, and then contrast it with Grieg's in the same key. The great majority of Grieg's chamber music is some of the finest in history, in my humble opinion.

Harry

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 08:45:24 AM

Edvard Grieg is an incredible composer. I love to listen to Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor, and then contrast it with Grieg's in the same key. The great majority of Grieg's chamber music is some of the finest in history, in my humble opinion.

Well I agree with you!
Are there any favourite recordings from the piano concerto for you?