Pascal Bentoiu (1927-2016) [Romanian] has died

Started by Scion7, February 21, 2016, 06:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

TOTALLY unknown composer to me - had an affiliation with Enescu.

Died in Bucharest Sunday morning - aged 88.  Pascal Bentoiu's death came two months after the death of his wife, writer and translator Bentoiu Annie, who died on December 21, 2015.

from - http://cultural.bzi.ro/compozitorul-pascal-bentoiu-a-murit-la-varsta-de-88-de-ani-40984  :

Adrian Iorgulescu, president of the Union of Composers and Musicologists of Romania (UCMR) stated:

"Today morning has undergone surgery in a Bucharest hospital. He suffered from an incurable disease for a long time and ceded heart," said Adrian Iorgulescu.

"It is a great loss to Romanian music and is one of the most representative Romanian composers after 1950. He had a prodigious activity in composing, and musicologist, leaving some fundamental works in our musicology 'image and sense' and the book 'Masterpieces Enescu '. and is the author of completions and remodeling of Symphony IV and V of the George Enescu, which the author has not finished and master Bentoiu realized their completion and which were sung with great success in Festival Enescu and abroad. But surely the most important thing is that a life was dedicated to the profession of composer and musicologist, was, after the Revolution, the first president of the Composers' Union for almost two years, "said Adrian Iorgulescu.

^sorry, Google Translate . . .

He composed eight symphonies, a violin concerto, a cello concerto, two piano concertos, various orchestral pieces.
Six string quartets, a piano sonata, and a violin sonata.
He composed various songs from 1953-1977.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

I feel sort of obligated to search out a few things by him, now.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Scion7

Symphony No.5, Op.26 : Romanian Radiotelevision Orchestra, Paul Popescu : recorded 1983

Scion7

Florestan

In 1950s he was imprisoned for no other reason than being the son of a former health minister in various Liberal Party governments pre-1940 (his father was imprisoned also, for no other reason than having taken part in various Liberal Party governments pre-1940).

I can´t comment on his music because to my shame I have not heard a single note of him.

OTOH the memoirs of his wife are terrific, an impressive first-hand account of the darkest period in modern Romanian history.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Scion7

You mean she goes into the terrible times of WW2?

Florestan

Quote from: Scion7 on February 21, 2016, 12:10:58 PM
You mean she goes into the terrible times of WW2?

No, I mean 1948-1960, the harshest, most repressive Communist decade. Compared to it WW2 times were quite normal.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Scion7

Well, some worthy soul put all eight symphonies up on YT - I like the 5th (organ) quite a bit.