Grieg's Piano Concerto

Started by rubio, June 03, 2007, 12:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on June 05, 2007, 11:01:37 PM
GEEEEZ, is seems there's no love for Lipatti on this forum!

See my response to Dirk.  I do like the Lipatti, just not as much as the Andsnes, which was the comparison I was making.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: dirkronk on June 06, 2007, 05:04:28 AM
Still...Grainger does Grieg? I can see where that might come across very well, especially in the first movement. So did you find the performance truly enjoyable? Or did it feel like a novelty only?

Dirk

I have Grainger playing the piano Grieg PC (including an Orchestral accompaniment edited and adapted by the pianist) from piano rolls. I am revisiting it now, but unfortunately I have little tolerance for the 'honky-tonk' style sound of the piano. I can't say that this is a novelty or an enjoyment.  :-\ However, the Liszt on the CD I have is a lot better IMO.

If you are curious, this is the disc.

Valentino

Quote from: dirkronk on June 06, 2007, 05:04:28 AM
[...] Grainger does Grieg? I can see where that might come across very well, especially in the first movement. So did you find the performance truly enjoyable? Or did it feel like a novelty only?

It was enjoyable, but there is of course novelty in it to. Grainger (sorry for the earlier spelling slip) does (did!) the rubatoes in a different and for me refreshing way. I cannot count how many times I've heard this piece, and hearing it played with a difference is a bonus. The conductor and the band managed to sound relatively sponaneous too. The public seemed to enjoy the concert, judging by the giggling and laugther during the roll change between the first and second movements.

Just a thought: What's the real difference of having a live band playing together with a canned soloist and a live soloist playing with a canned band, like in some of Boulez' works?
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Todd on June 06, 2007, 05:05:03 AM

See my response to Dirk.  I do like the Lipatti, just not as much as the Andsnes, which was the comparison I was making.

I know. I wasn't referring primarily to your post, actually. It just seems that all I hear around here is that Lipatti is way overrated and that people only like him because he died young, blah, blah, blah.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mark

Got this today for £3 in a charity shop ...

... and it's a stunner! Best version I've heard (so far) of the Schumann, and a Grieg to match (blow for blow) the Ousset recording I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm made up. :)

George

Quote from: Mark on July 07, 2007, 02:49:23 PM
Got this today for £3 in a charity shop ...

... and it's a stunner! Best version I've heard (so far) of the Schumann, and a Grieg to match (blow for blow) the Ousset recording I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm made up. :)

And with that recommendation, I was finally pushed over the edge. Just ordered a copy for $4 from Amazon.  8)

Mark

Quote from: George on July 07, 2007, 03:33:13 PM
And with that recommendation, I was finally pushed over the edge. Just ordered a copy for $4 from Amazon.  8)

And, because I love this recording so much, I've just ordered it (sealed) in its original CD release - i.e. the unremastered version. ;)

George

Quote from: Mark on July 07, 2007, 03:44:52 PM
And, because I love this recording so much, I've just ordered it (sealed) in its original CD release - i.e. the unremastered version. ;)

Why the unremastered one?

Mine is a BMG release, I wonder if it's remastered?

Mark

I'm starting to enjoy snapping up the original releases of CDs wherever I can, George. :)

George

Quote from: Mark on July 07, 2007, 04:28:17 PM
I'm starting to enjoy snapping up the original releases of CDs wherever I can, George. :)

OK, but why?

I know one place I used to buy from said to me that collectors often prefer original releases, but couldn't explain why.

To me the often cheaper price and superior remastering make the earlier release obsolete.

But I think I am missing something here... :-\

Mark

I dunno. Perhaps it's because I'll find stuff easier to shift on to serious collectors if I get sick of it. ;D

George

Quote from: Mark on July 07, 2007, 04:37:47 PM
I dunno. Perhaps it's because I'll find stuff easier to shift on to serious collectors if I get sick of it. ;D

;)

Yeah, I didn't mean that you had to have a reason, I was just wondering if you had a reason, I wanted to know what it was, that's all.  :)

rubio

Has anybody here heard the Freire/Kempe recording of this work? This combination seems like dynamite to me (in theory, at least :)).

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Todd

Quote from: rubio on June 15, 2008, 01:45:32 AMHas anybody here heard the Freire/Kempe recording of this work? This combination seems like dynamite to me (in theory, at least).

Never heard it.  Didn't know it existed.  Sure looks like something I should look into though . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Opus106

While we are at it, let me just wish Grieg a happy birthday, and also thank him for giving us this wonderful work.
Regards,
Navneeth

DieNacht

Richter/Kondrashin wasn´t mentioned. Its fury has a good, suitable contrast in the dignified Zimerman/Karajan.

val

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but my favorite version is the old recording of Rubinstein/Ormandy, that includes a superb version of the Ballade opus 24.

I was never convinced by the version of Lipatti (and this applies also to his version of Schumann's Concerto).

DavidA

Versions of this wonderful piece I have include:
Lipatti - every bit as good as they say but limited sonically
Solomon - beautiful performance
Michelangeli - a firecracker
Two by Cziffra - really good
Perahia with Davis - very fine and sensitive as you would expect
Richter - his only recording of the piece. A humdinger.
Really an embarrassment of riches!

Leo K.

I've been collecting recordings Grieg's Piano Concerto as of late. The Richter/Matacic stands out with his detailed but flowing phrasing. He hits those chords against the orchestra with one-pointedness without being showy. The subtle space before each musical phrase adds the right balance of silence. Wow! I'll listen the Richter/Kondrashin account (on Praga) soon to compare.