Richard Rodney Bennett (1936 - 2012)

Started by Scion7, April 20, 2016, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2016, 11:30:16 AM
I wish they'd issue his wonderful film score for 'Nicholas and Alexandra' on CD.

Are you brave?  ;)

LINK: https://fmarchives.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/nicholas-and-alexandra/
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

The Five Impromtus for Guitar are on: [asin]B0006M4SSW[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

The Sonata for Cello and Piano (1991) is on:

[asin]B00WFMVN48[/asin]

Scion7

The Duo Concertante for Clarinet & Piano (1985) is on:

[asin]B00U2OT320[/asin]

Scion7

After Syrinx I, for Oboe & Piano (1982): [asin]B000065VA4[/asin]

Scion7

Concerto for Guitar & Chamber Ensemble (1970) is on:

[asin]B00000HZS3[/asin]

Scion7

Concerto For Solo Percussion And Chamber Orchestra (1990):

[asin]B000003FBE[/asin]

Scion7

A movement from Spells (1970) is on:

[asin]B00ICMP8SM[/asin]

Scion7

The Concerto for Saxophone : I. Molto vivo-II. Interlude: Andante-III. Allegro-Lento (1988) is on:

[asin]B000002RSE[/asin]

Scion7

Sonata after Syrinx for Flute/Viola/Harp (1985)  & Singing Birds for solo Flute (1981):

[asin]B000007N88[/asin]

Scion7

Calendar for Chamber Ensemble (which I think is also the later-titled "Jazz Calendar") 1960 :

[asin]B00I1RKB3U[/asin] [asin]B009JTPEXQ[/asin]

Scion7

Scena III (1977) for solo Clarinet:

[asin]B000OMD2Q8[/asin]

So, less than 10% of his output is available on CD. There are several nice radio broadcasts and live videos on YT.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on April 21, 2016, 01:15:54 AM
Are you brave?  ;)

LINK: https://fmarchives.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/nicholas-and-alexandra/
Thanks very much for posting this. Great to hear that fine score again. EMI were not allowed to reissue it on CD and it is not included on the Chandos CD of his film music.  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Wind Ensemble version of Reflections on a Sixteenth Century Tune (1999) :

[asin]B0013TJS0K[/asin]

bwv 1080

In addition to the Five Impromptus, RRB also wrote a larger sonata for Julian Bream in 1983, which does not get played much

https://youtu.be/v/FSixf0uoGJ8

His guitar music is all based on tone rows but not strict serial or 12-tone technique- is this true of his other music?

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on April 21, 2016, 12:13:39 AM
[asin]B000K97MP2[/asin]

I wonder if Chandos will ever continue this series .....
I've been enjoying this CD very much. Of course Chandos did continue the series, or rather start it again with John Wilson after the untimely death of Richard Hickox. I have very little Bennett in my collection. I recall having an LP decades ago featuring a piano concerto which I didn't especially enjoy and a work called 'Jazz Calendar' which I did like.

Highlights for me of the CD above are the 'Partita' which reminded me of the one by Walton. It has a beautiful central movement, the 'Reflections on a Sixteenth Century Tune' which is reminiscent of Vaughan Williams and 'Reflections on a Scottish Folk Song' in memory of the Queen Mother. A nice discovery for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Do you think you'll be tempted by any releases in the new series,vandermolen? I've read that some of them are in his more approachable (melodic?) vein (Symphony No 3?). Some not so approachable!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 07, 2019, 04:55:55 AM
Do you think you'll be tempted by any releases in the new series,vandermolen? I've read that some of them are in his more approachable (melodic?) vein (Symphony No 3?). Some not so approachable!
Maybe cilgwyn but at the moment I'm enjoying the Hickox CD - maybe I should investigate Symphony 3.