Qigang Chen (1951 -)

Started by Mirror Image, April 20, 2016, 03:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Qigang Chen (Chinese: 陈其钢; pinyin: Chén Qígāng, pronounced [tʂʰə̌n t͡ɕǐkɑ́ŋ]) is a composer of Chinese origin born in 1951 in Shanghai. He has lived in France since 1984, and obtained French citizenship in 1992.

Qigang Chen was born into a family of artists, including several members who were sent to the Laogai during the Cultural Revolution. Chen was sent to an ideological reeducation camp. After the introduction of induction courses for higher education in 1977, Chen passed a series of tests which allowed him to go and study abroad. At the age of 33 he arrived in Paris where he was the final student of Olivier Messiaen until 1988.

(Taken from Wikipedia)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I could find no thread for this Chinese-French composer. I've known of his name for years but only today did I actually buy any of his music. Looking forward to exploring this composer. Do any of you guys know any of his works?

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2016, 03:22:05 PM

Qigang Chen (Chinese: 陈其钢; pinyin: Chén Qígāng, pronounced [tʂʰə̌n t͡ɕǐkɑ́ŋ]) is a composer of Chinese origin born in 1951 in Shanghai. He has lived in France since 1984, and obtained French citizenship in 1992.

Qigang Chen was born into a family of artists, including several members who were sent to the Laogai during the Cultural Revolution. Chen was sent to an ideological reeducation camp. After the introduction of induction courses for higher education in 1977, Chen passed a series of tests which allowed him to go and study abroad. At the age of 33 he arrived in Paris where he was the final student of Olivier Messiaen until 1988.

(Taken from Wikipedia)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I could find no thread for this Chinese-French composer. I've known of his name for years but only today did I actually buy any of his music. Looking forward to exploring this composer. Do any of you guys know any of his works?

Yes, I have heard his Wu Xing ("The Five Elements"). I saw it live about a year and a half ago (that was the first I had heard of Chen). It was great. Reminded me of Ligeti quite a bit. I haven't heard anything else of his, though.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".