Museum Walk

Started by faustus7, May 02, 2016, 12:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faustus7

Here it is an unusual form of composition. Let me hear your thoughts: How does it sound to you Univesa? Italian? Balkans?

https://youtu.be/kBa-d32K8HI

Monsieur Croche

I found the use of the scale/mode pretty cliche and lackluster. That you use that scale -- and so little else -- and that it varies so little if at all throughout the piece makes it monotonous.

The acoustic instrumental runs along and then cuts out altogether when the rock band comes in... I expected more integration of the two instrumental groups and for you to have used the array of instruments in various mixed groups.

Switching so abruptly to the rock band might seem like a dramatic surprise until you realize the musicians, and those instruments, would be visible to the audience from the beginning if this were performed live.

With this extremely block-like presentation of first the acoustic ensemble then followed by the electric ensemble, it is like walking from one rehearsal room where one group is playing into another, and that is barely if at all interesting.

You simply have to give it more thought, the basic musical materials are paper thin and don't sustain the listener's interest even in the space of the short duration, and the two 'blocks' of first acoustic ensemble, then electric ensemble, are not of much interest as so sequentially presented and kept apart.

You can not 'fix' this one, but you can do this by trying another, and another, keeping them short while learning from having done those exercises.

About nationality and the scale mode you've used. In current times, it too readily denotes a sort of common cliche to refer to 'East Europe / gypsy, 'exotic,' etc. and for many listeners, it no longer specifically makes them think of one geographical region, let alone a nation within that region. It would serve you well to look into what Bartok has so often done, using modes typical of East European folk music while integrating them, mixed with either or both diatonic and octatonic scales.

Best regards.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~