Author Topic: Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.  (Read 48034 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2021, 10:25:05 AM »
New list:

Alfano: Symphony no. 2
Alnæs: Symphony no. 1
Dopper: Symphony no. 7 Zuiderzee
Hailstork: Symphony no. 2
Hashimoto: Symphony no. 1
Mortensen: Symphony
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2021, 07:13:46 PM »
New list:

Thumbs up for the Alfano, Alnaes and Mortensen. Fascinating works.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline timwtheov

« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2021, 07:14:41 PM »
Kyjo, another great list to add.

And yes, Brian, Allan Pettersson occurred to me: I think I'll make it him.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2021, 07:25:48 PM »
This thread has encouraged me to give a list. Let's see...

Olav Kielland: Sinfonia I, a granitic, organic and intense piece.

Adolfs Skulte: Symphony No. 9, incredibly powerful in the vein of Ivanovs, Tubin, Holmboe.

Henk Badings: Symphony No. 12 Symphonische Klangfiguren, a fascinating work from start to finish. Its sound world is otherwordly.

Daniel Sternefeld: Symphony No. 1, as far as I recall, it has bite and driving moments.

Torbjörn Lundquist: Symphony No. 4 Sinfonia ecologica, a work I could call "epic" because of its ambition. 45 minutes of great music without pauses.

Stanley Bate: Symphony No. 3, definitely one of the most impressive neglected and quasi "forgotten" English symphonies.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2021, 11:28:30 PM »
Looks like yet another great list! I'll be making a playlist of it shortly . . . .
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2021, 11:31:19 PM »

Adolfs Skulte: Symphony No. 9, incredibly powerful in the vein of Ivanovs, Tubin, Holmboe.

Henk Badings: Symphony No. 12 Symphonische Klangfiguren, a fascinating work from start to finish. Its sound world is otherwordly.

Daniel Sternefeld: Symphony No. 1, as far as I recall, it has bite and driving moments.

Torbjörn Lundquist: Symphony No. 4 Sinfonia ecologica, a work I could call "epic" because of its ambition. 45 minutes of great music without pauses.

Stanley Bate: Symphony No. 3, definitely one of the most impressive neglected and quasi "forgotten" English symphonies.
Big thumbs up for Sternefeld and Bate (Bate's 4th Symphony is another favourite). I think that the Sternefeld was written when the composer (who was Jewish) was in hiding in Nazi-occupied Belgium. He risked his life in 1943 by coming out of hiding to attend the funeral of his teacher Paul Gilson in Brussels.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 11:35:50 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #246 on: Today at 09:07:52 AM »

If only I could find a recording of the Kielland…. :'( So far I’ve only heard Badings’ 4th Symphony which impressed me greatly. The Sternefeld is superb - surprisingly “modern” in places and searingly intense. Ditto the Bate - his 4th may be even finer IIRC.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #247 on: Today at 09:10:13 AM »
New list:

Seeing as the Mortensen has already been mentioned multiple times previously in this thread, I’ll offer Fernström’s Symphony no. 6 as a bonus. 8)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #248 on: Today at 12:53:23 PM »
It’s good you mentioned the Zuiderzee symphony, Kyle. It’s a powerfully evocative work. Jan van Gilse’s no 4 is another excellent work by a Dutch composer.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #249 on: Today at 01:28:06 PM »
New list:

Big thumbs up for Hashimoto's First Symphony. I'm going to include Moroi's moving and eloquent 3rd Symphony as well (a powerful lament for the victims of war).
« Last Edit: Today at 01:31:02 PM by vandermolen »