The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Florestan´s Romantic Salon

<< < (35/37) > >>

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Cato on January 12, 2019, 09:16:28 AM ---Bump! 

To quote myself: "And if Romanticism is about death, love, yearning, and inchoate desires to express things inexpressible, does not "composing with 12 notes" open up new possibilities to explore precisely those things?"

--- End quote ---

I am reminded of Poe's observation that the most Romantic theme for poetry is, the death of a beautiful woman — death, love, yearning, and inchoate desires to express things inexpressible, indeed.

San Antone:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 09, 2019, 11:15:48 AM ---I am reminded of Poe's observation that the most Romantic theme for poetry is, the death of a beautiful woman — death, love, yearning, and inchoate desires to express things inexpressible, indeed.

--- End quote ---

I am assuming you saw that quote in the Poe bio I recommended to you (I remember reading it there)?  I hope you enjoyed it.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: San Antone on September 09, 2019, 12:54:41 PM ---I am assuming you saw that quote in the Poe bio I recommended to you (I remember reading it there)?  I hope you enjoyed it.

--- End quote ---

I had actually seen it earlier, but I did read that bio, and thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks!

some guy:
I looked this quote up, but what I found was this: "The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world."

Its context is the philosophy of composition (which is also the title of the essay it's from), specifically Poe's idea that a work should be short, unified, and the result of logic.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: some guy on September 11, 2019, 09:04:17 AM ---I looked this quote up, but what I found was this: "The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world."

It's context is the philosophy of composition (which is also the title of the essay it's from), specifically Poe's idea that a work should be short, unified, and the result of logic.

--- End quote ---

Thanks; I rather suspected that I was paraphrasing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version