(poco) Sforzando, (playwright)

Started by (poco) Sforzando, May 06, 2016, 12:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I've sent to your own e-mail address, sir.

Knuckleheaded critics be damned.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 07, 2017, 03:45:09 AM
I've sent to your own e-mail address, sir.

Knuckleheaded critics be damned.

I brought the issue up on my Playwrights' Forum on FB and the consensus was that my best option was to laugh it off and do nothing. It's not by coincidence that "blogger" and "blowhard" have their initial three letters in common. Fortunately I also have some blog reviewers that understood the play as I intended it.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on September 06, 2017, 08:12:51 PM
Something of a shock, therefore, to read one of our reviews claiming that David doesn't change during the play (I can easily find a dozen major instances to the contrary), and another making the even wilder claim that the play itself is anti-Semitic! The argument seems to be that since the Jews in the play exhibit human frailties and shortcomings, their behavior is hypocritical, and therefore "this play lays the groundwork for explaining the existence of anti-Semitism, making it, in my opinion, an anti-Semitic play." Even if the reviewer's conclusion followed his premise, this is a defamatory charge and I fail to see how it can be legitimately argued based on the play I wrote.

This is the sucky thing about being a writer. No matter now clear you try to make your intention, someone will misunderstand it. They may not be paying proper attention, or they may have an agenda, or just some bug up their @ss.

If "the Jews in the play exhibit human frailties and shortcomings," then by that criterion, we would have to declare most of Woody Allen's movies anti-Semitic, as well as the fiction of Saul Bellow and Philip Roth.

QuoteIt would be unprofessional and counter-productive for me to engage this reviewer directly. In fact I wonder if I should speak to a lawyer specializing in libel cases, since any one Googling my name and play will see this review, and not knowing the work, will assume the conclusion is justified.

As an interesting coincidence, I've done a lot of translations of German court cases in which Google is being sued by plaintiffs wishing to remove material they consider harmful from search results. In almost all these cases, the plaintiff loses, because the court rules that the information is a matter of public knowledge, and there is no way of proving malice aforethought.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 07, 2017, 11:13:38 AM
This is the sucky thing about being a writer. No matter now clear you try to make your intention, someone will misunderstand it. They may not be paying proper attention, or they may have an agenda, or just some bug up their @ss.

Or a combination of all three? This reviewer also referred to a Passover celebration that takes place during the play. Only trouble is, there was a menorah and at least two dozen references to Chanukah.

Florestan

If "the Jews in the play exhibit human frailties and shortcomings," then by that criterion, we would have to declare most of Woody Allen's movies anti-Semitic, as well as the fiction of Saul Bellow and Philip Roth.

Of course. And: Carmen would be both anti-Spanish and anti-Gypsy, Cavalleria rusticana anti-Italian and Lulu anti-German

As an interesting coincidence, I've done a lot of translations of German court cases in which Google is being sued by plaintiffs wishing to remove material they consider harmful from search results. In almost all these cases, the plaintiff loses, because the court rules that the information is a matter of public knowledge, and there is no way of proving malice aforethought.

Plus, taking the reviewer to the court implies taking him much more seriously than deserved. Ignoring him altogether is the best and most elegant option. Never feed a troll, remember?

That being said, please, Larry, send me the link to the video.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mahlerian

I agree, and think that the content of your play (as you've described it) sounds like it speaks for itself in a lack of anti-Semitism.  The best course of action would be to ignore it and let the view disappear, rather than challenge it and give it prominence.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mahlerian on September 07, 2017, 01:47:40 PM
I agree, and think that the content of your play (as you've described it) sounds like it speaks for itself in a lack of anti-Semitism.  The best course of action would be to ignore it and let the view disappear, rather than challenge it and give it prominence.

I intend to do nothing further, and if others from this board wish to write their own reviews after seeing my video, perhaps it's best they do so independently rather than as a response to the blogger's review. Thanks for your thoughts.

(poco) Sforzando

Built into the foundation of Judaism is the assumption that all Jews somehow fall short of the ideals commanded in the Torah. If that were not so, there would be no need for the holiest of holidays, Yom Kippur, where each Jew is expected to fast all day, abstain from sex and bathing, and spend the day in prayer atoning for one's sins.

I believe my main character tries very hard to follow the 613 mitzvoth expected of an orthodox Jew, and to simultaneously balance his observance with the need to engage within the world. This is the foundation of Modern Orthodox Judaism.

Pat B

I know how frustrating it can be to let that sort of thing stand without a rebuttal, but I will join the chorus: the last thing you want to do is draw attention to it. (IOW Don't Feed the Troll.)

PM sent.

(poco) Sforzando

At this point I have sent links to three people at their requests, along with links to each of my reviews. Hope to hear from all of you regarding the play when you can see fit.

Parsifal

I can imagine it's very frustrating. I think you may be dealing with an "Uncle Leo" situation.

"They don't just overcook a hamburger, Jerry!"

(poco) Sforzando

Wow. It's been over two years since I last updated this thread. There's a lot I could talk about, and will! But I've mainly confined my theatrical history to Facebook of late.

Some of you may remember the play I described upthread about a Jewish freshman piano major, who is assigned to play the Kreutzer Sonata with a very volatile, anti-religious female partner. Well, the latest news is that this play is getting a new production in Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY, in just two weeks from now! Ably directed by Tim Oriani, who played the lead in my earlier productions, the play has been appreciably tightened and I think has reached final form.

For anyone in the New York City metro area who'd like to come support me, performances are Dec. 12, 14, and 15 at the BACCA Center, 149 North Wellwood Avenue in Lindenhurst. (Take the Long Island Railroad to Lindenhurst, about 70 minutes from Penn Station, then a short walk north of the station). We are deep in rehearsal now and I think it one of the best of my longer plays.

Tickets: Click Buy Tickets at https://modernclassicstheatre.com/

And for an interview about me: https://tinyurl.com/sw7ww9a

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 29, 2019, 01:36:15 PM
Wow. It's been over two years since I last updated this thread. There's a lot I could talk about, and will! But I've mainly confined my theatrical history to Facebook of late.

Some of you may remember the play I described upthread about a Jewish freshman piano major, who is assigned to play the Kreutzer Sonata with a very volatile, anti-religious female partner. Well, the latest news is that this play is getting a new production in Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY, in just two weeks from now! Ably directed by Tim Oriani, who played the lead in my earlier productions, the play has been appreciably tightened and I think has reached final form.

For anyone in the New York City metro area who'd like to come support me, performances are Dec. 12, 14, and 15 at the BACCA Center, 149 North Wellwood Avenue in Lindenhurst. (Take the Long Island Railroad to Lindenhurst, about 70 minutes from Penn Station, then a short walk north of the station). We are deep in rehearsal now and I think it one of the best of my longer plays.

Tickets: Click Buy Tickets at https://modernclassicstheatre.com/

And for an interview about me: https://tinyurl.com/sw7ww9a

Wonderful news! Break a leg!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot