Antonio Rosetti (1750-1792)

Started by snyprrr, October 14, 2009, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I can vouch that his SQs Op.6 1-6 (CPO) are some of the most attractive ClassicalEra SQs I've heard by anyone. Review in HIP*SQs Thread.

Very highly recommended.

Scion7

Rosetti's early works are written in a pleasing style that emphasizes diatonic melodies cast in a regular and repetitive phrase structure, supported by a predictable harmonic vocabulary. His music of the early 1780s demonstrates the first signs of a stylistic maturity that is brought to full bloom in the works composed after about 1784. These are characterized by a greater reliance on chromatic inflection in melodic lines, a richer harmonic and tonal language, skilful handling of counterpoint and imaginative and colourful orchestration. Throughout Rosetti's output, two distinctive features distinguish his style: an economical treatment of materials, which often results in tight musical structures held together by discernible motivic relationships, and a sure and imaginative employment of wind instruments.  -- New Grove

Chamber music
=====================================

5 string trios
12 string quartets
bassoon quartet
13 various keyboard trios
11 keyboard sonatas

Orchestral works
=====================================

44 symphonies (!)
6 violin concertos
4 keyboard concertos
viola concerto
12 flute concertos
7 oboe concertos
5 bassoon concertos
4 clarinet concertos
5 symphony concertantes
12 horn concertos
some 40 various serenades, dances, partitas . . .

One of his pieces is on this very good album:
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

I've never studied any detailed work on Rosetti (only one 's', Mr. Administrator) so I don't know the numbering schema applied by whatever musicologist(s) to his works.
The Sinfonia in e-flat major and the g minor are the best of the four, IMHO.
And you know the Concerto Koln is a mark of quality.

[asin]B000000SR6[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

SonicMan46

BOY!  This thread was 'under my radar' although apparently not of much interest to others:

Antonio Rosetti (1750 - 1792) - short lived Bohemian composer (last name changed to sound Italian) - first paragraph of his Wiki Article - prolific composer of wonderful classical period works (check the link for a list) - I own about a dozen of his discs (some of the ones shown below are double-discs).  Doubt that this thread will get much interest which is undeserved, but will like to see others contribute - Dave :)

P.S. I need to listen to some of this music again - has been a while!

QuoteFrancesco Antonio Rosetti (c. 1750 – June 30, 1792, born Franz Anton Rösler, changed to Italianate form by 1773) was a classical era composer and double bass player, and was a contemporary of Haydn and Mozart. The occasional disambiguation with a supposed, but non-existent, "Antonio Rosetti born 1744 in Milan", is due to an error by Ernst Ludwig Gerber in a later edition of his Tonkünstler-Lexikon having mistaken Rosetti for an Italian in the first edition of his own Lexikon, and therefore including Rosetti twice - once as an Italian, once as a German-Czech.

SonicMan46

Quote from: jlaurson on May 13, 2016, 12:38:54 AM

Dip Your Ears, No. 121 (Blowing Rosetti's Horn )
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-121-blowing-rosettis.html

Hi Jens - excellent review, as usual - thanks for the link - my CPO Horn disc is shown below and there is no overlap of works vs. the Arte Nova release - Rosetti in his short life wrote a LOT of instrumental & vocal music - below a summary from his Wiki Article; just over 500 compositions w/ 17 Horn Concertos & 7 Two Horn Concertos - will take a look & listen to my 'small' collection today and see what else Amazon has to offer - will likely put the Arte Nova disc on my wish list.  Dave :)

QuoteChamber Music D1-D52
Concertos C1-C76  17 Horns; 7 2 Horns
Piano E1-E68
Symphonies A1-A51
Wind Ensembles B1-B29    506 Total

Choral Works G1-G12
Liturgical Works H1-H41
Vocal Works F1-F109

SonicMan46

Well, I missed a CPO box of 4 discs of Rosetti works in my collection (added below for those who may want some 'windy' music from Antonio!) - the set is going for about $26 new on the Amazon USA MP HERE, for those who might be interested.  Dave :)

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on October 14, 2009, 09:41:44 PM
I can vouch that his SQs Op.6 1-6 (CPO) are some of the most attractive ClassicalEra SQs I've heard by anyone. Review in HIP*SQs Thread.

Very highly recommended.

Yes, I do remember these... will have to dig the box out from 2009, lol...

71 dB

My only Rosetti disc is this:

[asin]B00004S4O3[/asin]

I haven't listened to it for years, but I remember enjoying these symphonies.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SurprisedByBeauty

SonicMan46

Rosetti TTT! - not much activity in Tony's thread for a while - I've been contributing to this discussion for a long while and have posted many pics before - BUT, now reassessing my collection which now includes 16 discs in 15 jewel boxes - some short refresher discussion and reposting of the album covers (won't add reviews this time).

Franz Anton Rösler was a Bohemian composer who Italicized his name to Antonio Rosetti - he was short-lived dying in his early 40s, but was a remarkably prolific composer w/ over 400 compositions in nearly all genres of the time - short bio below w/ Wiki link -in the second quote, a breakdown of his compositions according to categories - actually, there are two catalogs including the one used below by Sterling Murray w/ each category represented by a letter of the alphabet, hence A to H, followed by an ascending number (see link for specifics).

Below are the first 7 of my discs up for a listen last night and this morning; this is all quite enjoyable music w/ use of a lot of winds - Mozart & Haydn fans should explore Rosetti for a 'change of pace'  - Dave :)

QuoteFrancesco Antonio Rosetti (c. 1750 – 30 June 1792, born Franz Anton Rösler, changed to Italianate form by 1773) was a classical era composer and double bass player, and was a contemporary of Haydn and Mozart. Rosetti wrote over 400 compositions, primarily instrumental music including many symphonies and concertos which were widely published. Rosetti also composed a significant number of vocal and choral works, particularly in the last few years of his life. (Source)

QuoteBased on the Murray Classification (in the link above)^

Symphonies - 51
Wind Works (Partitas et al) - 29
Concertos* - 76
Chamber Music+ - 52
Piano - 68
Vocal Works - 109
Choral Works - 12
Liturgical Works - 41

*Piano, Violin, Flute, Oboe, Horn, Clarinet, Bassoon
+String Trio/Quartet, Flute, Bassoon, Violin, Piano Trio et al
^Sterling E. Murray: The Music of Antonio Rosetti. A Thematic Catalog ca. 1750 - 1792, pub. 1996.

SonicMan46

My Rosetti Collection - Part 2 - reviews attached on nearly all of these recordings and really not a 'stinker' in the bunch - again, for those who love classical era music a la Wolfie & Papa Haydn, then this composer deserves consideration - hard for me to even suggest favorites among this bunch but depending on the genre desire, checkout some of the 'period instrument' groups, e.g. Amphion Wind Ensemble, Concerto Köln, and Compagnia di Punto - Dave :)

SonicMan46

After 2 years, Antonio TTT! - a couple of new additions below to my modest collection - now up to 16 CDs - as before, this guy is really worth a listen - reviews attached of both 'new' recordings (actually used from Amazon MP), the horn concertos reviewed by our own Jens.  Dave :)