Recording/Sound engineer seeking improvement courses focusing classical music

Started by ricardocecchi, May 13, 2016, 01:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardocecchi

I've been working as mixer/mastering engineer at recording studios for about 25 years. Mainly with popular music, in Sao Paulo - Brazil.

This summer I'm moving to Los Angeles. (My wife applied to the Pacifica Graduate Institute (she's psychologist)). This is an exciting news and a big, unexpected twist in my life.

This moving decision triggered an old dream of work (or being part somehow) with classical music. In order to start this plan I would appreciate any recommendation for professional sound engineering training / courses / graduate schools / education institutions / recording studios, focusing classical music/opera in Los Angeles area.

I would be greatful for any reply.

relm1

Quote from: ricardocecchi on May 13, 2016, 01:03:51 PM
I've been working as mixer/mastering engineer at recording studios for about 25 years. Mainly with popular music, in Sao Paulo - Brazil.

This summer I'm moving to Los Angeles. (My wife applied to the Pacifica Graduate Institute (she's psychologist)). This is an exciting news and a big, unexpected twist in my life.

This moving decision triggered an old dream of work (or being part somehow) with classical music. In order to start this plan I would appreciate any recommendation for professional sound engineering training / courses / graduate schools / education institutions / recording studios, focusing classical music/opera in Los Angeles area.

I would be greatful for any reply.

Hi, definitely give me a ring when you get into LA.  I was the recording engineer for my orchestra for several years and that included opera, concerti, symphonies, etc.  I learned alot and can give you pointers and maybe even a test orchestra.

ricardocecchi

Sounds really great. 1/aug must be in LA. I'll keep in touch. Thank you so much.

RebLem

I am not an engineer, and don't have any connections in the business, but I suggest one of the steps you should take is to get the best sound system you can possibly afford and listen to some quality recordings to see what the current top standard is.  In this latter area, I would particularly suggest the Oleg Caetani set of the Shostakovich symphonies.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

XB-70 Valkyrie

You can give me a ring when you get to LA as well (I was born and raised here, was gone for 14 years but am now back. I thoroughly detest the place, BTW). In any case, I wonder whether USC (University of Southern California) might have anything of interest. They have a great music program and have campuses strewn all over the HELL A area with a diverse offering of courses. Maybe check them out.

I love Brazilian music and am a big fan of Villa Lobos.

For some great Brazilian food, go to Berkeley: http://www.pedrosbrazilcafe.com
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Himloia on November 12, 2016, 11:08:05 PM
25 years? wow such a long time

A mere teardrop of time...

Speaking of time, don't you guys check dates on stuff? OP was in May and he hasn't been back or made any other posts... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Monsieur Croche

Bump...

FYI (anyone's information):

Classical sound engineers are wholly adept at reading full orchestral scores, and will, for example, be able to track minutia in a thick texture orchestral piece, i.e. hear and spot that the 3rd clarinet was off entry -- or some such, in any particular take. 

They very often have a full classical training -- or a full equivalent -- and they possess highly acute, fast, and accurate hearing along with their engineering skills. 

Basically, the job requires two very replete skill sets, which is why there are not a whole lot of them floating about in the marketplace.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~