Composer Recommendation

Started by JamesBreeze, May 23, 2016, 12:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesBreeze

Hi all,

I'm trying to find classical music that has an 'epic' feel.

I purchased Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition recently and I was blown away by it. I also took a chance on Ottorino Respighi's Roman Trilogy and I was equally impressed.

Could anyone recommend some music in a similar vein? I'm after some music that has that big, bombastic sound with a strong sense of melody.

Thank you!

James

Jo498

Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4 and 5, maybe 6 as well
Dvorak: Symphony 9
Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade
Richard Strauss: Don Juan
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JamesBreeze

Thank you Jo498, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have recently bought Dvorak's symphonies 1-9, so I'll be delving into those soon.

I like the sound of Richard Wagner too but i'm not yet accustomed to opera (I find the vocals rather abrasive, but that may change with time). Is there a good place to start with his instrumental compositions?

Florestan

Quote from: JamesBreeze on May 23, 2016, 12:56:17 AM
I'm after some music that has that big, bombastic sound with a strong sense of melody.

If you like vocal music, Mahler´s Das Knabes Wunderhorn fits in perfectly.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

There are hardly any instrumental compositions by Wagner. The most famous ones are actually ouvertures, preludes (sometimes the German "Vorspiel" is used) and excerpts from his operas. They are easy to find, just look for Flying Dutchman or Tannhauser ouverture
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JamesBreeze

Thanks Florestan. I'll give Mahler a go.

And I see. I've heard a fair bit of the instrumental sections for Der Ring Des Nibelungen so I thought I'd check if he'd done any purely instrumental works. Will have to look for his overtures though.

Is there a word for classical works with an overarching concept? I don't suppose 'concept albums' fits the bill!

Ken B

Scheherezade is a must for you. Try Kalinnikov's Symphony 1. Saint-Saens Symphony 3 (Organ), Franck Symphony.

Parsifal

Quote from: JamesBreeze on May 23, 2016, 07:34:05 AM
Thanks Florestan. I'll give Mahler a go.

And I see. I've heard a fair bit of the instrumental sections for Der Ring Des Nibelungen so I thought I'd check if he'd done any purely instrumental works. Will have to look for his overtures though.

Is there a word for classical works with an overarching concept? I don't suppose 'concept albums' fits the bill!

You can think of most any symphony as a work with an overarching concept. If you are thinking of music which has a theme beyond the structure of the music itself, it is usually referred to as "program music." Often this takes the form of a "symphonic poem" or "program symphony." Examples would be Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony or Richard Strauss Tone poems such as "Don Juan," "Ein Heldenlieben," "Ein Alpine Symphonie." There are also well known tone poems by Dvorak, Liszt, Sibelius and others. Elgar and Vaughan Williams also composed works with a "epic" sound, that latter's style is often emulated in movie music.

jochanaan

It doesn't get more epic than Beethoven 9.  Actually, Beethoven wrote lots of epic works, right down to the piano sonatas. 8-)

You might also like the Bruckner symphonies.  The later ones, 7-9, are the most epic, but the others are right up there.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Florestan

Quote from: jochanaan on May 24, 2016, 06:45:15 AM
It doesn't get more epic than Beethoven 9. 

Shostakovich 7, 8
Liszt Faust Symphony, Dante Synphony
Mahler 1
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Wanderer

I purchased Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition recently and I was blown away by it. I also took a chance on Ottorino Respighi's Roman Trilogy and I was equally impressed.

I'm after some music that has that big, bombastic sound with a strong sense of melody.

Some suggestions to get you started:

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 3, 5, 7 & 9. See how you react to the Missa Solemnis.
Brahms: Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 4.
Schumann: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 3.
Schubert: Symphonies Nos. 8 (the so-called "Unfinished") & 9.
Bruckner: Symphonies Nos. 3, 4, 5, 8.
Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 3, 8.
Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 2, 5, 7 & Kullervo.
R. Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie, Don Quixote, Also sprach Zarathustra.
Shostakovich: Symphony No.10.
Langgaard: Symphony No.1.
Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (No.1), Sinfonia antartica (No.7).
Mendelssohn: Symphony No.2 "Lobgesang".
Elgar: Symphony No.1.
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade.

And for something with piano in it:

Brahms: Piano Concerto No.1.

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on May 24, 2016, 10:27:37 AM

Yessss! Actually, forget everything else and start with that.

Spineur

Hi all,

Could anyone recommend some music in a similar vein? I'm after some music that has that big, bombastic sound with a strong sense of melody.

Thank you!

James
Liszt symphonic poems
[asin]B0033KR5ZC[/asin]
Sometimes on the verge of bad taste, sometimes magical.

Jay F

Best performances (except 4 & 5). $26.18 at Amazon Marketplace. Lots of big bombast. Start with Symphony no. 6, then nos. 2 and 3.

[asin]B005SJIP1E[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on May 24, 2016, 11:45:14 AM
Sometimes on the verge of bad taste, sometimes magical.

One man´s bad taste is another man´s magic.  :laugh:

JamesBreeze

Thank you all for your recommendations so far. It's great to see a thriving community of people sharing their passion for music. I've got some serious listening to do now.

Quote from: Wanderer on May 24, 2016, 10:27:37 AM
Some suggestions to get you started:

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 3, 5, 7 & 9. See how you react to the Missa Solemnis.
Brahms: Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 4.
Schumann: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 3.
Schubert: Symphonies Nos. 8 (the so-called "Unfinished") & 9.
Bruckner: Symphonies Nos. 3, 4, 5, 8.
Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 3, 8.
Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 2, 5, 7 & Kullervo.
R. Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie, Don Quixote, Also sprach Zarathustra.

Shostakovich: Symphony No.10.
Langgaard: Symphony No.1.
Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony (No.1), Sinfonia antartica (No.7).
Mendelssohn: Symphony No.2 "Lobgesang".
Elgar: Symphony No.1.
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade.

And for something with piano in it:

I'd at least heard of these composers (albeit, not all of their music) but I'd never heard of Langgaard. After hearing symphony 1, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Quote from: Ken B on May 24, 2016, 06:49:41 AM
Now, now. Don't punish the newbie.

I'll give anything a go once! I'd consider my taste outside classical music to be pretty eclectic.

Ken B

Quote from: JamesBreeze on May 25, 2016, 12:53:38 AM
Quote from: Ken B on May 24, 2016, 06:49:41 AM
Now, now. Don't punish the newbie.
I'll give anything a go once!

Beware. We have some sadists here, who will push La Mer on you, or Turangalila. Or even *shudders* Gurrelieder.

relm1

Elgar: In the South (Alassio)
Elgar: Enigma Variations
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 1, 2, 3

vandermolen

Why don't you try 'Church Windows' by Respighi which sounds like it should be the soundtrack to an epic film score - a super work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).