The New York Holler Thread

Started by snyprrr, May 26, 2016, 06:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

York Holler is one of Germany's top living Composers, writing very Modernist music, but not as radical as, say, Lachenmann. As with many of these types of Composers, their later work shows a softening of the previous styles.

Holler is known for his ElectroAcoustic additions, or, rather, 4 channel tape. He also has used allusions to earlier musics. In this regard, he seems to me to be in league with (presumably) his teacher(?) BA Zimmermann. Just listen to the opening of 'The Eternal Day' to hear the similarities.

(I'm sorry, I just don't feel like writing right now)

For those who might want less Expressionistic angst a la Rihm, and more of the sleek modern sound of Zimmermann, would do well to investigate Holler. Here are the main discs to check out:

1) NEOS disc with 'Topic' and 'Muthos': this one has the best overall overview.

2) NEOS String Quartets... & More: to be released shortly.

3) 'The Eternal Day': the same recording can either be had with Mahler on Avie, or with 'Spharen' on NEOS.

4) Erato disc with Ferneyhough and Dufourt. There is 'Arcus' by Holler, a great introduction.

5) Piano Music 2CD (EDA): this is not out yet, but, Holler's Piano  Music is one of the highlights. Highly Recommended.

6) WERGO disc with 'Antiphon' and 'Mythios', though, the former can be gotten on the Arditti's 'From Germany' disc, and the latter on NEOS.

7) LARGO disc with the 2nd Piano Concerto, which may be one of the best after the NEOS No.1.

That's pretty much it for my recommendations. There's just a few more pieces available.

ritter

Good to see a thread on York Höller being started, snyprr! A very interesting compsoer IMHO, and one that has done some rather stunning things with electroncs (i.e. Sphären).

Apart from what you mention in your post, his opera Der Meister und Margarita (based on Bulgakov) is well worth pointing out. A potent piece of muisc theatre!

[asin]B00004TVFW[/asin]

Here's a promotional video (in English) for a recent production at the Hamburg State Opera:

https://www.youtube.com/v/tI0D0DiRNfA

nathanb

If you want some piano music, there's already been a CPO disc for a long time that should do until this alleged 2-disc business arrives.

CRCulver

Quote from: nathanb on May 26, 2016, 09:44:47 AM
If you want some piano music, there's already been a CPO disc for a long time that should do until this alleged 2-disc business arrives.

That CPO disc was apparently pressed in very small quantities and got hard to find very quickly. However, those particular recordings have recently been reissued on another label with an additional couple of pieces.

For more piano works from Höller, there is a set of live recordings from the 2012 Ruhr Piano Festival that feature performances by Pierre-Laurent Aimard and Tamara Stefanovich.

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on May 26, 2016, 09:44:47 AM

I believe the 2CD set actually includes the CPO recordings...

Quote from: CRCulver on May 27, 2016, 04:34:20 AM
That CPO disc was apparently pressed in very small quantities and got hard to find very quickly. However, those particular recordings have recently been reissued on another label with an additional couple of pieces.

For more piano works from Höller, there is a set of live recordings from the 2012 Ruhr Piano Festival that feature performances by Pierre-Laurent Aimard and Tamara Stefanovich.

That 3CD should make it into the "Bad CD Covers" Thread, lol!!

Quote from: ritter on May 26, 2016, 07:51:25 AM
Good to see a thread on York Höller being started, snyprr! A very interesting compsoer IMHO, and one that has done some rather stunning things with electroncs (i.e. Sphären).

Apart from what you mention in your post, his opera Der Meister und Margarita (based on Bulgakov) is well worth pointing out. A potent piece of muisc theatre!

[asin]B00004TVFW[/asin]

Here's a promotional video (in English) for a recent production at the Hamburg State Opera:

https://www.youtube.com/v/tI0D0DiRNfA

yes, forgot, thanks

Hoping for the mailman today to bring the NEOS 'Topic' CD...

snyprrr

'Antiphon' is for String Quartet and Electronics. There are currently two recordings, one on WERGO and one on the Arditti album 'From Germany'. Now there is also a new NEOS disc called 'String Quartets & More'.

Does anyone have the WERGO?

I just get all hot and bothered when rare pieces start getting multiple recordings...  :)

bhodges

Thanks for revving up this thread on Höller - whose music I know very little of. Years ago a cellist friend performed his Sonata for solo cello (1968), and I recall being really wowed by it, but haven't heard it since. (It was extremely difficult to play, which is probably one reason it isn't done more often.)

But looking at lists of his works - as well as these posts - there are many things that look interesting, especially Antiphon. And I agree: it's kind of incredible that a piece for string quartet and electronics would have multiple recordings from which to choose.

--Bruce

nathanb

Quote from: snyprrr on May 27, 2016, 06:45:55 AM
'Antiphon' is for String Quartet and Electronics. There are currently two recordings, one on WERGO and one on the Arditti album 'From Germany'. Now there is also a new NEOS disc called 'String Quartets & More'.

Does anyone have the WERGO?

I just get all hot and bothered when rare pieces start getting multiple recordings...  :)

The WERGO is good. And yeah, the only comparable work with so many recordings (off the top of my head) might be Saariaho's Nymphea.

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on May 27, 2016, 07:33:09 PM
The WERGO is good. And yeah, the only comparable work with so many recordings (off the top of my head) might be Saariaho's Nymphea.

Just curious then, if you also have the Arditti 'From Germany', which one has what qualities... I'm breaking out the Arditti here... they are always very clinical, and the recordings very alive with frisson... maybe they sound a bit wiry and thin at times, but that could be the "pencil-thin harmonies" of the AvantGarde...

I'm curious also about that new NEOS SQ disc...

nathanb

I haven't heard the Arditti "From Germany" version yet, mostly just because the only work I didn't have on that disc was the Platz. But then, I like Platz, so it will one day be inevitable. Going to pre-order the NEOS tonight, I suspect, now that it's on amazon.

snyprrr

Fanal (Signal) Trumpet Concerto
Daydreams Piano Trio
Pensees Piano Concerto No.2
\

This was always an odd issue, but then Largo did some Gerhard too. But, and... I've tried, but have never warmed to this dark-ish music. I think it's a lot different than Holler in the 70s.

Anyhow, I started with the trumpet concerto, written for John Wallace. Eh, I just don't like it, that's all. It's got things, for sure, but all I can think of is "1987- grey skies- totalitarianism- no fun". There isn't any mind boggling virtuosity; even though there are elecronics, there are no sci-fi colours- all the colors are grey and steel blue. Well, I don't know who will come to this work's defence. I enjoyed Rihm's trumpet concerto more,- that's all I'm going to say,... and also BAZ's.

'Pensees' is a Big Piano Concerto, and it is quite impressive. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I seem to recall it had the same dreary soundworld as 'Fanal'.  It seems like too nice of a day to give it a spin...

I am holding out hope that the Piano Trio will perk up my ears. I do not recall its soundworld, but i suspect it's not as grey as the other two pieces.

I think many of us must have this disc, as it was such an odd one when it came out, and cheap. Do you think it's better for darker days, as I do? Other Holler I can play during the day, this just seems like night music. Does anyone REALLY like the trumpet concerto?

rambling...done

Maestro267

I entered this thread expecting it to be full of people shouting about the city that never sleeps.

snyprrr

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 31, 2016, 06:51:30 AM
I entered this thread expecting it to be full of people shouting about the city that never sleeps.

yo yo yo... holla fo' a dolla ;)

talk about cultural enrichment- LOL!!

nathanb

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 31, 2016, 06:51:30 AM

Man I really miss the "like" button from that otherwise lame other forum...

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on May 29, 2016, 08:23:50 AM
Fanal (Signal) Trumpet Concerto
Daydreams Piano Trio
Pensees Piano Concerto No.2
\

This was always an odd issue, but then Largo did some Gerhard too. But, and... I've tried, but have never warmed to this dark-ish music. I think it's a lot different than Holler in the 70s.

Anyhow, I started with the trumpet concerto, written for John Wallace. Eh, I just don't like it, that's all. It's got things, for sure, but all I can think of is "1987- grey skies- totalitarianism- no fun". There isn't any mind boggling virtuosity; even though there are elecronics, there are no sci-fi colours- all the colors are grey and steel blue. Well, I don't know who will come to this work's defence. I enjoyed Rihm's trumpet concerto more,- that's all I'm going to say,... and also BAZ's.

'Pensees' is a Big Piano Concerto, and it is quite impressive. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I seem to recall it had the same dreary soundworld as 'Fanal'.  It seems like too nice of a day to give it a spin...

I am holding out hope that the Piano Trio will perk up my ears. I do not recall its soundworld, but i suspect it's not as grey as the other two pieces.

I think many of us must have this disc, as it was such an odd one when it came out, and cheap. Do you think it's better for darker days, as I do? Other Holler I can play during the day, this just seems like night music. Does anyone REALLY like the trumpet concerto?

rambling...done

Daydreams for Piano Trio

Immediately following what I thought was a disappointing trumpet concerto, comes a most delightful and charming Piano Trio in 7 Parts. It has a very refined sensibility, a bit ... uh, is it sensual or sensuous, lol????.... sumptuous in it's Webernesque luxury... haha I'm not over-selling by much. It's just really quite a nice piece and nothing really needs to be said. It';s not sentimental or nostalgic,... not quite Messiaen, maybe a very pared down BAZ? Anyhow, I'm saving the PC for a storm or something... this piece is a winner!

snyprrr

Quote from: Brewski on May 27, 2016, 07:38:52 AM
Thanks for revving up this thread on Höller - whose music I know very little of. Years ago a cellist friend performed his Sonata for solo cello (1968), and I recall being really wowed by it, but haven't heard it since. (It was extremely difficult to play, which is probably one reason it isn't done more often.)

But looking at lists of his works - as well as these posts - there are many things that look interesting, especially Antiphon. And I agree: it's kind of incredible that a piece for string quartet and electronics would have multiple recordings from which to choose.

--Bruce

JUst listened to the NEOS disc with 'Topic', 'Horizont', 'Mythos', and 'Schwarze halbinseln'. tRULY, AN INCREDIBLE cd- i DIDN'T KNOW THESE WERE (whoops) original recordings from the 70s and 80s, but the sound is spectacular. The last, big piece, 'Black Peninsulas', may be the best E/A 'live electronics' with Orchestras and Voices I've ever heard, such a great piece.

And, 'Topic', his first, written at 21!, is a lost Zimmermann Masterpiece. 'Mythos' is a lot more visceral than the title might imply. And the tape piece is pretty cool to boot.

SERIOUSLY- this album, along with the piece 'Arcus' on a Boulez/Erato disc, and the 'Antiphon' string quartet, are the crown jewels of this kind of stuff...

I AM raving!! Excellent!!

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on June 07, 2016, 04:38:44 PM
JUst listened to the NEOS disc with 'Topic', 'Horizont', 'Mythos', and 'Schwarze halbinseln'. tRULY, AN INCREDIBLE cd- i DIDN'T KNOW THESE WERE (whoops) original recordings from the 70s and 80s, but the sound is spectacular. The last, big piece, 'Black Peninsulas', may be the best E/A 'live electronics' with Orchestras and Voices I've ever heard, such a great piece.

And, 'Topic', his first, written at 21!, is a lost Zimmermann Masterpiece. 'Mythos' is a lot more visceral than the title might imply. And the tape piece is pretty cool to boot.

SERIOUSLY- this album, along with the piece 'Arcus' on a Boulez/Erato disc, and the 'Antiphon' string quartet, are the crown jewels of this kind of stuff...

I AM raving!! Excellent!!

Just wanted to give this disc another shot at your perusal... Ruzicka and Holler are good stuff people! Even for YOU!!!

nathanb

Still another couple weeks till the new Holler disc is released on amazon. I've got it pre-ordered with amazon prime, so it'll probably come the day of. Still, the 2-3 month lag between website release and amazon release is tough to bear, so I may order directly from NEOS when some of these badass summer discs come out. Even though THAT takes 2-3 weeks to get across the pond to cowtown.

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on June 12, 2016, 01:16:29 PM
Still another couple weeks till the new Holler disc is released on amazon. I've got it pre-ordered with amazon prime, so it'll probably come the day of. Still, the 2-3 month lag between website release and amazon release is tough to bear, so I may order directly from NEOS when some of these badass summer discs come out. Even though THAT takes 2-3 weeks to get across the pond to cowtown.

"Sir, drop the mouse,... and slowly step away from the computer.. slowly,... no,NO!... officer fearing for his life..."

pew

pew pew

pewpewpewppew
                 pewpewpewpewpewpewp
             pewpewpewpewpewpe

pew

pewpewpewpepewpeewpewpewprepfwf
weorweprweprwptrwperwe[rwkpofefmekdfoesfoesrkferfw
pewroieproifesofijesroiufhewairnhwkejfnadkjf
efoarejfoirfijgewoirgjkeoreorjesorew

pew pew

pew

"That arghta had got him."

"Yea, that got'm."

"Dispatch, yea, perpetrator down, won't be visiting NEOS site. Dallas occifers feared for their very lives... there was nothing that could be done here. Nothing..."

"Anybody goin for a beer?"

I'm just trying to save you, dogg!! ;) :P DONT PREORDER!!!!!!!!!!!! Let New Releases sneak up on you, so you have to PanicOrder and get it the next day! ;)

nathanb

So not happy with amazon right now. I pre-ordered my York Holler disc a month out and it's on backorder before even I can get one? I cancelled the order and will be buying it straight from NEOS when I get my next paycheck, probably. My new Wohlhauser disc came yesterday, and NEOS released that 2 months after the Holler disc.