La Musica Ruzicka

Started by snyprrr, May 29, 2016, 09:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Peter Ruzicka

I could've sworn I already had a Thread... anyhow, there's been an explosion of Ruzicka discs,... and here I was all worried about Rihm!

HELP!

Mirror Image

What is Ruzicka's music like? Any points of comparison?

lescamil

FYI, Ruzicka's name is pronounced as roo-zhich-ka, not with the same consonants as "musica."

As far as the music goes, I haven't heard much of it, but I enjoyed a work for four horns and orchestra I once heard called Spiral. Quite an engaging style to me.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

pjme

The HR/Frankfurt videos are great!  See and hear...

https://www.youtube.com/v/6WYeXDpuFUg

P.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 29, 2016, 10:31:32 AM
What is Ruzicka's music like? Any points of comparison?

Lachenmann + Pettersson ??? Serious Intent Coupled with A Fragmented Soundworld... generally somewhat apocalyptic sounding... I KNOW there's some Ruzicka you would like... early or late, I can't tell...

Quote from: lescamil on May 29, 2016, 10:40:05 AM
FYI, Ruzicka's name is pronounced as roo-zhich-ka, not with the same consonants as "musica."

As far as the music goes, I haven't heard much of it, but I enjoyed a work for four horns and orchestra I once heard called Spiral. Quite an engaging style to me.

But, that's what I did:

La Moo-zhich-ka Roo-zhich-ka... lol, works for me!!  :)

snyprrr

I'm sure CRCulver will have some pointers...

nathanb

Ruzicka is one of my little pet composers that I like to fancy a "well-kept secret", kinda like Claus-Steffen Mahnkopf, but who knows how true or untrue any of that is.

His five NEOS albums (including a piano disc, three orchestral discs, and a two-disc string quartet album) are all incredible. The aforementioned Spiral was an instant hit with me, as was the much quieter Nachtstück (- aufgegebenes werk), for trumpet and orchestra. I think the Pettersson comparison works, in some ways; Ruzicka definitely repeats similar motifs at times.

The other albums, mostly on Thorofon, tend to reinforce the strengths established by the NEOS discs, in addition to showing another side of the composer; NEOS tends to cover mostly newer works of any given composer, and Ruzicka sounds a fair bit more roudy in older orchestral works like Befragung.

Sorry if this post made no sense whatsoever. I just woke up from a much-needed catnap.

Artem

I have this disk and I like it quite a lot. It is hard to explain this music (I haven't listened to it in a while). It is modern composition, but there's something very attractive, unforced and worthy of repeated listened. I'm definitely interested in that composer.

[asin]B00I0I0JDM[/asin]

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on May 29, 2016, 05:43:50 PM
Ruzicka is one of my little pet composers that I like to fancy a "well-kept secret", kinda like Claus-Steffen Mahnkopf, but who knows how true or untrue any of that is.

His five NEOS albums (including a piano disc, three orchestral discs, and a two-disc string quartet album) are all incredible. The aforementioned Spiral was an instant hit with me, as was the much quieter Nachtstück (- aufgegebenes werk), for trumpet and orchestra. I think the Pettersson comparison works, in some ways; Ruzicka definitely repeats similar motifs at times.

The other albums, mostly on Thorofon, tend to reinforce the strengths established by the NEOS discs, in addition to showing another side of the composer; NEOS tends to cover mostly newer works of any given composer, and Ruzicka sounds a fair bit more roudy in older orchestral works like Befragung.

Sorry if this post made no sense whatsoever. I just woke up from a much-needed catnap.

I just ordered that old CPO disc with 'Sinfonia', 'Feed Back', et al. All I have is the Arditti/ECM disc, which of course is mandatory.

I spent all night looking at his Discography, and about 98% of Ruzicka is available (except for the most recent era). Maybe I'll just list some here:

WERGO #1: Metastrophe, ...fragment..., In processo di tiempo (cello concerto), Begegung (tape), Stress (percussion)

CPO: Sinfonia, Feed Back, Befragnung, Metamorphoses/Haydn

Thorophon #1: Torso, Etym, Tallis, A+Stille (piano concerto), "Pettersson" piece

z-Zeit: organ/accordion piece

The first two CDs, plus 'Torso', represent most of Ruzicka's earlier 70's work, which may be more experimental. Was he doing Lachenmann when Lachenmann wasn't Lachenmann yet?

Koch: 5 "brushstrokes", Satyagraha, A+Stille (piano concerto), 5 Piano Preludes

WERGO #2: Metamorphoses/Haydn, "Impuls" (viola concerto), Abruche, Emanazione (flute + strings)

Thorophon #2: Inseln... Randlos (violin concerto with choir), Gestalt und Arbruch (choral), Vorflegflfoeiene(???), Die Sonne Sanct (voice with orchestra)

This represents most of the 80s, ending with the "Haydn" piece.

NEOS #1: Vorecho, Nachklang, Memorial (Sinopoli), Nachstuck
NEOS #2: Um Unstern, Trans, Mahler/Bild
NEOS #3: Spiral (4horn concerto), Recherche (chorus with orchestra), Lizst piece, R.W. (orchestral), R.W. (piano piece)

Jarvi disc: Clouds

Widmann disc(?): Erinnerung (clarinet concerto)

Thorophon #3: ...Ins Offene... (strings), SQ5, Tombeau (flute + SQ), Neechee(baritone/piano), Holderlin (baritone/piano)

Thorophon #4: "Werk fur Cello": ...An die Granze...(concerto), Cello Sonata (solo) , Recitatiziv?;-cello +piano), Stille (solo), some other piece...

Thorophon #5: Einschriebung(?), Erinnerung (later orchestral works a la NEOS)

Thorophon #6: Celan Symphony, Erinnerung

Inbal disc: Affluence (orchestral)

NEOS Piano Music

NEOS String Quartets 1-6

ECM String Quartets 1-4

MDG
(mostly cello, one SQ)

Rihm/ Ruzicka: baritone disc with Dieskau

snyprrr

I'd probably go in this order:

1) CPO

2) NEOS #1

3) Koch

4) Thorophon #2

5) ECM

6) Thorophon "Werk fur Cello"

7) NEOS #3

snyprrr

Quote from: Artem on May 29, 2016, 07:39:49 PM
I have this disk and I like it quite a lot. It is hard to explain this music (I haven't listened to it in a while). It is modern composition, but there's something very attractive, unforced and worthy of repeated listened. I'm definitely interested in that composer.

[asin]B00I0I0JDM[/asin]

I hear Vol.1 is even better. Check out the Discography in the previoswu Post

nathanb

I've listened to all of those except for: Thorofon #3, Thorofon #4, and MDG. As far as the Thorofons go, those remaining ones are in my amazon mp3 cart, pending monetary choices and whatnot [I just ordered 5 NEOS CDs and both my CD cart and MP3 cart are in constant flux].

IMO the NEOS #2 is probably the least awesome of the five NEOS choices, but I intend to give it more attention... hard to compete with an amazing trumpet concerto and a horn quartet concerto, for me...

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on May 30, 2016, 09:54:27 AM
choicest [I just ordered 5 NEOS CDs and both my CD cart and MP3 cart are in constant flux].

It's called the CDCDCD Thread. Go there NOOOW!!!

Otherwise, good show old chap!! Yea, NEOS is a mutha... always releasing more than the wallet can handel... I myself am debating on what to hock to get the money for a Ruzicka-thon!

nathanb

Quote from: snyprrr on May 30, 2016, 10:30:46 AM
It's called the CDCDCD Thread. Go there NOOOW!!!

Otherwise, good show old chap!! Yea, NEOS is a mutha... always releasing more than the wallet can handel... I myself am debating on what to hock to get the money for a Ruzicka-thon!

While money remains a major issue (at least another year, until I finally finish my engineering degree), I tend to buy MP3 albums when I can, and focus my CD fund on those that can't be bought on amazon mp3. If you buy MP3s, you'll surely know that NEOS stopped making their catalogue available about 2/3rds into their current catalogue (somewhere around the Maderna Vol. 5, Rolf Hind, Daniele Lombardi, etc). As a result, I currently have 100% of the first two thirds on my iPod (except for a couple of DVDs and NEOS Classics records, like the Brahms), but I'm still filling in gaps with the latter third. NEOS and KAIROS are my two major obsessions. I try to get a hold of any Mode, Aeon, Col Legno, Wergo, and ECM albums of composers I know, but NEOS and KAIROS are the only ones that compel me to blind buy unknown composers all the time. When you buy MP3's and focus your CD purchases on the special stuff, this kind of stuff gets a lot more affordable.

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on May 30, 2016, 10:56:34 AM
but NEOS and KAIROS are the only ones that compel me to blind buy unknown composers all the time.

dangerous shit right there!!

Stradivarius had that effect on me back when... but those two are just ridiculous!!

snyprrr

Finally the NEOS Vol.1 arrived, and it is pretty good stuff. Almost 80mins. of modern tones... I even think Ruzicka will not be charged with Rautavaar-izing his output- it's easier to listen to, but not sentimental or nostalgic- well, in a way, that IS Ruzicka's thing, but, trust me, he's not gone "soft" here. Let's just say that I like the "New Ruzicka" better than the "New Rihm"- somewhat the same thing happening, but it appears to me that Ruzicka is using older musics IN his music, whereas Rihm seems to be writing Old Music?

If this were York Holler, electronics would appear in these pieces, but that's the only real difference. Both Composers ... wait...

nathanb

Quote from: snyprrr on June 12, 2016, 06:47:28 AM
Finally the NEOS Vol.1 arrived, and it is pretty good stuff. Almost 80mins. of modern tones... I even think Ruzicka will not be charged with Rautavaar-izing his output- it's easier to listen to, but not sentimental or nostalgic- well, in a way, that IS Ruzicka's thing, but, trust me, he's not gone "soft" here. Let's just say that I like the "New Ruzicka" better than the "New Rihm"- somewhat the same thing happening, but it appears to me that Ruzicka is using older musics IN his music, whereas Rihm seems to be writing Old Music?

If this were York Holler, electronics would appear in these pieces, but that's the only real difference. Both Composers ... wait...

I was listening to that disc last night. I love it so much. Get Vol. 3 next. Spiral will melt your face off.

Scion7

Quote from: snyprrr on May 29, 2016, 09:29:17 AM
... anyhow, there's been an explosion of Ruzicka discs

But fortunately, no one was hurt, as it was Sunday and the music shoppe was closed.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on June 12, 2016, 01:14:15 PM
Spiral will melt your face off.

you had me at "melt" :laugh:

Seriously, the language that GMG'rs have cultivated to express their feelings about Abstract Art Musik is really quite the most nuanced use of the English language, so, when you get a statement like above, you know the author is pulling out all the apocalyptic stops to get you to get the picture-

therefore

the same phrase will work for anyone-

EXAMPLE:

I'm sure that Ruzicka, known for Avant garde Musik, may actually have a section in the piece with four horns where the horns mimic the "sounds of melting faces in the rain"- it's not beyond the realm of possibility- BUT- one of our ultra-conservative Members might actually use the same phrase concerning,... lol,... Elgar, or Brian,... or,... lol, it's too funny,... but, you get the idea?

So, point being....

I dont care who ya're, that's some funny shit right thar! ;)

I'm actually at a place of repose in The Quest... waiting of the last spate of orders- all Germania- I've been looking over The Library, not really feeling the need to spend every waking minute researching CDs to buy (oy vey!!)-

MY SOLUTION_

Go for Hindemith!!

Here's a Composer that I already have enough for a long listening experience, to cleanse my buds. He's got a nice pure sound... try to stay away from the rabbit hole that is Villa-Lobos, arf!!

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on June 12, 2016, 01:14:15 PM
I was listening to that disc last night. I love it so much. Get Vol. 3 next. Spiral will melt your face off.

Vol.1 was almost conservative- but Ruzicka still speaks in an Avant language, though, as in 'Vorecho' ("Fore-Echo'), the influence of Pettersson is crystal clear- but that's what I liked there- the thought that, had Pettersson actually progressed, this is what a modern Pettersson Symphony might sound like (Ruzicka seems also a very thoughtful and,...mm...melancoly? man).

'Nachklang' ('Reverberation') was the most like good old-fashioned High Modernism, just waiting for those Holler-like electronics to come in at any moment.

'Memorial' (for G.Sinopoli) was very nice- I started here, mistake, but, in context of the flow of the album, I would have had a differing view...

'Nachtstuck' I can't recall this morning, lol

I love that I'm getting him and Holler mixed up... it almost makes for more music in my head, haha!

Yea, I like New Ruzicka better than New Rihm...