Gimme Gimme Merikanto!!

Started by snyprrr, August 11, 2014, 02:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Just listened to Merikanto's Symphony no. 2 and was very impressed. It's quite an individual work which escapes the long shadow of Sibelius quite successfully - Merikanto's orchestration (which is phenomenal) and harmonies have more of a Gallic tinge to them. For a so-titled War Symphony, the work gets off to a pretty upbeat start, and while there is drama in the first movement, the real emotional meat of the piece is found in the dark slow movement (notable for its trombone glissandi at the climax). The first and final movements contain some superbly warm-hearted, life-affirming melodies that will make me want to return to this work soon.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on November 01, 2017, 08:48:42 PM
Just listened to Merikanto's Symphony no. 2 and was very impressed. It's quite an individual work which escapes the long shadow of Sibelius quite successfully - Merikanto's orchestration (which is phenomenal) and harmonies have more of a Gallic tinge to them. For a so-titled War Symphony, the work gets off to a pretty upbeat start, and while there is drama in the first movement, the real emotional meat of the piece is found in the dark slow movement (notable for its trombone glissandi at the climax). The first and final movements contain some superbly warm-hearted, life-affirming melodies that will make me want to return to this work soon.

I agree with your assessment. Such a convincing work, which is an exalting piece that raises the spirit. There is no any doubt it is my favorite work by him, and an imposing Finnish symphony.

vandermolen

Thanks to Kyle (Kylo) to alerting us to this one. So far I am enjoying every work. It should appeal to admirers of Prokofiev and Rachmaninov although Merikanto has an engagingly quirky, tonal style of his own:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Skogwald

I'm not a big opera fan, but Juha sounded like a very powerful work on first listen!