Monk's Conch

Started by schnittkease, August 08, 2017, 08:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

Discuss. ???

snyprrr

Quote from: schnittkease on August 08, 2017, 08:37:55 AM
Recognized as one of the most unique and influential artists of our time, she is a pioneer in what is now called "extended vocal technique" and "interdisciplinary performance." "

Well, when euphemism is needed, that should tell you something.

Yea, she is the Bach of our time.

I'm sorry, I've been watching to many protester videos today, which has (rest of Post Deleted)...

oy vey, indeed

Why not just bypass Monk and head straight for Eve Beglarian? I'm sorry, I just can't be nice here, this is what the destruction of WesternCiv SOUNDS like.

... or just discover Scelsi...

ECM has really saturated the market, eh?

And, I have been told that I have diarrhea of the mouth... when I latch onto something (like this current Topic-of-Discussion), I tend not to let go until the throat is in my mouth.

It is YOUR prerogative to spend $15.99+s.h. for Monk's "art". Caveat Empty. (I know, who needs to spend monies?... maybe the wasted time will be cost enough?)

Now where's my jar of IndustrialStrengthPeriodBlood?

I'm sorry, you can Delete this Post if you wish. Anything I could do to warn off any potential marks or dupes would be my pleasure.

schnittkease- go ahead and get one CD by 5-7 ECM artists of the same ilk and please do let me know if it is either

a) a life changing and affirming experience

b) annoying as f***

Yes, "hippie classical" infuriates me with its lowest common denominator virtue signaling sensuality-as-religion....

rant: OFF (for my own good, ack!)

snyprrr

Quote from: schnittkease on August 08, 2017, 10:42:51 AM
wow... I just quoted an article I found on the web... had no idea it would have this reaction. Of course it's bs, but what isn't?

On Schnittke:

"What constitutes musical truth? Is there really such a thing as musical authenticity (by which I don't mean using period instruments, or playing without vibrato) in the sense of giving voice to an absolute sincerity of emotional or expressive utterance? Or is music a combination of stylistic convention and structural formula that means composers conceal their true identity – whatever that might be – so that the search for the single true voice of a composer is always a confusing game of shadows?

"The huge output of Russian composer Alfred Schnittke raises these sorts of questions...."

WTF? The only reason I don't care about this bs is because Schnittke is one of my favorite composers. If someone said the same things about, say, Bruch, I'd kill myself. And I think anyone would for select composers...

So I'm such a sucker for this... "corporate propaganda"... but I still won't buy a CD unless I like what I hear!

Thanks for your input, snyprrr. I hope your anger was directed at the words I chose, not the decision to make this thread.

uhh... thank you?

I'm a Warning&Loving God, not a Punishing God, as they say, lol.

I mean, of course - wait, did Schnittke SAY that, or was it written of him?- because Schnittke's whole schtick (Schnittke's Schtick would, of course, be the best Threat Title!) was this "inauthenticity AS authenticity" (perhaps?), so, I mean, didn't someone like Bruch wear his heart on his sleeve, was there any doubt as to where he was coming from?

It's late, I want to rant,... but not about Schnittke. He's made me mad before, but I still enjoy me some Schnittke when the weather's real bad.

The ribald world of ECM is another matter. The sheer mental illness expressed through music of some of these recitals can render the listener in such a state of agitation as to want to harm... something. Infuriating when you hear the ... the... HAUTINESS of the theory followed by the mind numbingly improv at the koo koo lounge delivery... aaaarrrggghhhh....

See what I mean?

Pettersson is one where I vacillate between sympathy and face-palming.

I'm tired,... and ranting,... I have no idea what's been said. Meredith Monk and her ilk infuriate me no end, though,... is she kinda hot or am I seeing things wrong?

Most Composers from New York probably fit the bill.... jus sayin......

PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE TO...... MONK'S CONCH..... at least, from me, it's respectful, and adhere's to my GMG Policy of Creative Thread Titles.

SINCE YOU ARE taking it upon yourself to start many Threads... please consider each, and pleeeeez don't just put their name and date. This is a Fun Forum, and we need Fun Names for our Threads.

Avram's Caravan

and so forth...

with exceptions of course...

loves me some of that schnittkease, lol!!!! for when schnittke isn't going down so well :laugh:

zzzz..>>>>....zzZZZZZ.zzz.......zzzzZZZZzzzzz.......zzzZZZZzzzzz........zzzZZZZZZz........

snyprrr

Quote from: schnittkease on August 09, 2017, 09:16:20 AM
The quote was written of Schnittke. Of course, we won't attack that quote with accusations as being too nice/generous because we like Schnittke's music. Monk's admirers would feel similarily about her quote, because (you guessed it!) they like Monk's music. It's all a matter of opinion, so try to control your suppressed rage!

OK, so ECM releases music that makes you want to hurt things... interesting.

OK, so New York = bad. Got it. But what about Wuorinen?

....You hate Monk. Got it x1000. Now let's move on. :)

ahhh... there's the "Uptown"/"Downtown" thing...

Wourinen/Babbitt = Uptown (I prefer Igor to his NewYork acolytes, though- he simplified, they made more complex)

Monk/Beglarian/Zorn = Downtown

btw- you're a beautiful person for the Title change... soon you'll be a Master! ;)

I'll be more than cooperative in allowing this Thread to settle! :D

And, of course, ECM has loads of good stuff too... Barraque, Ruzicka... I don't think they have an ECM Christmas yet ::)...

keep up the good work! ;)

well, ... there IS 'Brokeback Mountain'... oy vey... but, we can save that for later...

??? ??? ???
??? ??? ???
??? ??? ???

snyprrr

wait... didn't she marry Feldman a day before his death, or something?????

Karl Henning

snypsss, with that kind of self-control, you could be President!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Ok, this thread could use a fresh start...

Although I have heard some of Monk's music, this was my first serious exploration of her music. I find it mysterious and beautiful, and I like taking the journey of not knowing what to expect. But at the same time it's very organic, and many times the natural element of her music is very comforting, especially with her writings for voice. 
These are the two discs I streamed online today...