Boris Lyatoshynsky [1895-1968]

Started by Scion7, June 26, 2016, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on July 12, 2016, 01:43:15 PM
You mean you won't consider Kiev for the winter?  ;)

Listen to Symphonies 3 followed by 2. Frankly, these are the only two works by him that I really liked.

Hah! Will do, Paul.

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on July 12, 2016, 03:11:03 PM
Don't forget to post photos from the Ukraine!

I won't, especially when I post photos of me bundled up next to both of these gorgeous Ukrainian women on a bear rug sitting next to a fireplace. There's just nothing like those winter nights. :P Oh and hot cocoa with marshmallows are a must!

Scion7

More likely we'll see pictures of you pressed into the Ukrainian military at the front!   :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on July 12, 2016, 04:03:10 PM
More likely we'll see pictures of you pressed into the Ukrainian military at the front!   :P

Ah, but you're mistaken. We won't be in Ukraine, but in Switzerland in a log cabin looking upon the Alps. ;) ;D Now that's how you get a slumber party started. :)

Scion7

Have you tried any of the chamber music, especially the Violin Sonata Op.10?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on July 12, 2016, 04:55:26 PM
Have you tried any of the chamber music, especially the Violin Sonata Op.10?

I have not, but I will definitely consider your suggestion next time I'm in the mood to explore more of Lyatoshynsky's music. Thanks. :)

vandermolen

Good for Chandos! Not only are they issuing the wonderful 4th Symphony by Ruth Gipps but the current Gramophone Magazine reveals that Kirill Karabits and the Bournemouth SO have just recorded Lyatoshinsky's Third Symphony and the Symphonic Ballad 'Grazhyna' - his two greatest works in my opinion. I was on holiday, in a shop, some years ago ( I mean that I happened to be in a shop whilst on holiday, not that I spent my entire holiday in a shop - just providing some context), they had BBC Radio 3 on and I was really impressed with what I was hearing although I didn't recognise it - so I hung around until the work ended - it was the last part of 'Grazhyna' - quite impressionistic and poetic (or powerful, tonal and brooding, as I reported in an earlier post on this thread). Actually I did own this work, coupled with Symphony 1 on the Marco Polo label but had hardly ever played it. If you can't wait for the Chandos, the Marco Polo cycle of symphonies + Grazhyna is now on the Naxos label but I'm very excited about this forthcoming release.

Amazingly Karabits performed the Third Symphony in the UK. Here is an interesting review:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/concert-review-bournemouth-symphony-orchestra-kirill-karabits-at-the-great-hall-exeter-c0bhtmtfd

Having been to Kyiv in the Ukraine a couple of years ago I'm even more interested in Lyatoshinsky's music.

And here's a clip of the rehearsal of Symphony 3:

https://youtu.be/FFpaOn-hlL0
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2018, 02:29:48 AM
Good for Chandos! Not only are they issuing the wonderful 4th Symphony by Ruth Gipps but the current Gramophone Magazine reveals that Kirill Karabits and the Bournemouth SO have just recorded Lyatoshinsky's Third Symphony and the Symphonic Ballad 'Grazhyna' - his two greatest works in my opinion. I was on holiday, in a shop, some years ago ( I mean that I happened to be in a shop whilst on holiday, not that I spent my entire holiday in a shop - just providing some context), they had BBC Radio 3 on and I was really impressed with what I was hearing although I didn't recognise it - so I hung around until the work ended - it was the last part of 'Grazhyna' - quite impressionistic and poetic (or powerful, tonal and brooding, as I reported in an earlier post on this thread). Actually I did own this work, coupled with Symphony 1 on the Marco Polo label but had hardly ever played it. If you can't wait for the Chandos, the Marco Polo cycle of symphonies + Grazhyna is now on the Naxos label but I'm very excited about this forthcoming release.

Amazingly Karabits performed the Third Symphony in the UK. Here is an interesting review:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/concert-review-bournemouth-symphony-orchestra-kirill-karabits-at-the-great-hall-exeter-c0bhtmtfd

Having been to Kyiv in the Ukraine a couple of years ago I'm even more interested in Lyatoshinsky's music.

And here's a clip of the rehearsal of Symphony 3:

https://youtu.be/FFpaOn-hlL0

Wonderful news, Jeffrey! I haven't gotten around to listening to Symphony 3 yet but I know Grazhyna which is a wonderfully atmospheric work. As far as his other works go, Symphony 2 is a really powerful, doom-laden work which sounds quite unlike works written around the same time by, say, Prokofiev or Shostakovich. It has that sense of impending catastrophe that appeals to us so much, Jeffrey ;D Symphony 1 is also quite fine with echoes of Glière and Scriabin, if less memorable than no. 2.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on July 31, 2018, 07:37:00 AM
Wonderful news, Jeffrey! I haven't gotten around to listening to Symphony 3 yet but I know Grazhyna which is a wonderfully atmospheric work. As far as his other works go, Symphony 2 is a really powerful, doom-laden work which sounds quite unlike works written around the same time by, say, Prokofiev or Shostakovich. It has that sense of impending catastrophe that appeals to us so much, Jeffrey ;D Symphony 1 is also quite fine with echoes of Glière and Scriabin, if less memorable than no. 2.
Thank you Kyle for the interesting response  :)

David Fanning, the musicologist, rates No.1 as Lyatoshynsky's finest but that is not my view at all - it is my least favourite. If you like No.2 I'm sure that you'll enjoy No.3 which despite an upbeat finale, conveys just the right sense of impending doom and looming catastrophe which appeals to us so much  8)
A new recording of it is great news.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Does anyone know when the Kirill Karabits/Bournemouth recording of Lyatoshinsky's No. 3 is coming?

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on November 18, 2018, 09:56:12 AM
Does anyone know when the Kirill Karabits/Bournemouth recording of Lyatoshinsky's No. 3 is coming?

January I've been told by Chandos.

Really looking forward to it.

André

I have nos 3 and 4 on Russian Disc. Time for new versions and a completion of the series, I think  :).

vandermolen

Quote from: André on November 18, 2018, 12:31:40 PM
I have nos 3 and 4 on Russian Disc. Time for new versions and a completion of the series, I think  :).

Most definitely  :)

Grazhyna, with which the new recording of Symphony 3 is to be coupled, is considered by some to be Lyatoshinsky's finest work.

vandermolen

My first glimpse of the new release. Scheduled for 4th January 2019. I suspect it will be one of my favourite discs of next year:

I like the cover image.

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2018, 10:25:03 AM
My first glimpse of the new release. Scheduled for 4th January 2019. I suspect it will be one of my favourite discs of next year:

I like the cover image.

SUPER HYPER ULTRA SAC-CD?!

Count me in! 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Daverz

The downloads for the Karabits disc are already available.  The Kuchar recordings with the Ukrainian orchestra seem very committed to me, so I'm not sure I'll bite on this new recording, though I'm a Karabits fan.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%205233

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on December 07, 2018, 10:31:52 PM
The downloads for the Karabits disc are already available.  The Kuchar recordings with the Ukrainian orchestra seem very committed to me, so I'm not sure I'll bite on this new recording, though I'm a Karabits fan.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%205233

The combination of my two favourite Lyatoshynsky works makes this very appealing to me. I have three other recordings on Marco Polo (Naxos) and two different versions on Russian Disc.  ::)

SymphonicAddict

This new release will be another great hit by Chandos. Let's hope they will record the whole cycle, and why not, include others of his orchestral works that haven't seen the light of day.