David Cameron

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, November 13, 2023, 04:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Shocked to read that Ex-PM David Cameron is back into politics!

And there have apparently been some other shake ups in the current line up British secretaries too.

How are our British members feeling about this?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 13, 2023, 04:51:03 AMShocked to read that Ex-PM David Cameron is back into politics!

And there have apparently been some other shake ups in the current line up British secretaries too.

How are our British members feeling about this?

PD
It's a surprising move, although Cameron will have made good contacts overseas in his time as PM which might be helpful in these troubled times.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Adds another factoid about parliamentary government to my fragmentary knowledge, the PM is always an MP but other ministers don't have to be MPs.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DaveF

I can't imagine he will be terribly popular with any EU leaders (apart from those who wanted rid of us in the first place).

Oddly enough, I was driving through his old parliamentary constituency (Witney, Oxfordshire) last night and thinking "Whatever happened to...?".  So it's probably all my fault.

There seems to be general rejoicing at the removal of Suella Braverman (hysterically anti-immigration daughter of immigrants, labeller of homelessness as a "lifestyle choice") from the office of Home Secretary.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Roasted Swan

It was Cameron's lazy arrogance that "of course" everyone wanted to stay in the EU and ensuing lack of energy and impetus in the Remain Campaign that allowed the Brexiteers (motivated and better organised) to barge through the door of opportunity Cameron gave them.  He is a fool and should never be anywhere near any power ever again.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 13, 2023, 06:37:45 AMIt was Cameron's lazy arrogance that "of course" everyone wanted to stay in the EU and ensuing lack of energy and impetus in the Remain Campaign that allowed the Brexiteers (motivated and better organised) to barge through the door of opportunity Cameron gave them.  He is a fool and should never be anywhere near any power ever again.
I was seriously surprised that he was chosen for a position given what all had happened and is still going on re Brexit.  Perhaps as @vandermolen  wrote that his past connections might help though in terms of his job?  Well, I guess that we'll all find out.  By the way, out of curiosity, how old is he now?

I'm also a bit confused by a comment that I read in the first BBC article that someone was upset that he was made a *life peer and that your government was a democracy and that he shouldn't have been appointed...can anyone explain this better to me?  I did find this article:  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/13/hes-not-an-mp-so-how-can-david-cameron-return-to-the-cabinet

It sounds rather unusual.

*According to this article (and link) that this isn't without precedent?  Thinking a bit further, I suspect that it was the fact that he was given a position into the Lords vs. being elected into the Commons.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 13, 2023, 06:06:56 AMAdds another factoid about parliamentary government to my fragmentary knowledge, the PM is always an MP but other ministers don't have to be MPs.

Not sure. I recall Sir Alec Douglas-Home served as PM for a short period without a seat in parliament.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 13, 2023, 07:56:59 AMI was seriously surprised that he was chosen for a position given what all had happened and is still going on re Brexit.  Perhaps as @vandermolen  wrote that his past connections might help though in terms of his job?  Well, I guess that we'll all find out.  By the way, out of curiosity, how old is he now?

I'm also a bit confused by a comment that I read in the first BBC article that someone was upset that he was made a *life peer and that your government was a democracy and that he shouldn't have been appointed...can anyone explain this better to me?  I did find this article:  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/13/hes-not-an-mp-so-how-can-david-cameron-return-to-the-cabinet

It sounds rather unusual.

*According to this article (and link) that this isn't without precedent?  Thinking a bit further, I suspect that it was the fact that he was given a position into the Lords vs. being elected into the Commons.

PD

I think both the UK and EU have moved on from Brexit.

Sunak has pulled a rabbit from the hat! I had him down as a caretaker until Labour win the next election. Nothing changed there, but fair play thinking outside the box. 

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Todd

How long until we can expect a full rehabilitation of Liz Truss?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 13, 2023, 08:33:27 AMI think both the UK and EU have moved on from Brexit.

Sunak has pulled a rabbit from the hat! I had him down as a caretaker until Labour win the next election. Nothing changed there, but fair play thinking outside the box. 

Re:  Brexit.  I haven't looked into it for awhile, but last I looked, everyone was still trying to finish sorting out things?  Or has that all been settled?  Still trying to figure out your various parties and what they represent/want.  :-[

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I remember that during the Falklands War Lord Carrington was Foreign Secretary and he wasn't an MP either. Not that this is a ringing endorsement of that precedent!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 13, 2023, 11:29:42 AMI remember that during the Falklands War Lord Carrington was Foreign Secretary and he wasn't an MP either. Not that this is a ringing endorsement of that precedent!

You are right, Jeffrey. I forgot Lord Carrington and have not heard it mentioned in the coverage.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on November 13, 2023, 08:33:27 AMI think both the UK and EU have moved on from Brexit.

Ask musicians struggling to work within the EU in the way they could either on tour or contracts whether they have "moved on".

JBS

Quote from: Irons on November 13, 2023, 08:21:04 AMNot sure. I recall Sir Alec Douglas-Home served as PM for a short period without a seat in parliament.

Wasn't he the one who renounced his earldom specifically to become PM?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on November 13, 2023, 07:28:31 PMWasn't he the one who renounced his earldom specifically to become PM?
I think that might have been Tony Benn. I noticed on Sky this morning one of the younger newsreaders pronounced Sir Alec Douglas Home's surname as 'Home' when it's actually pronounced 'Hume'.