Museums you've visited (or want to see)

Started by (poco) Sforzando, June 27, 2016, 02:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2024, 08:50:46 AMWould love to visit that museum!  :)

PD

The Uffizi was quite different from the other museums when I saw it: a long cavalcade of statues and busts in the galleries, no attempt to keep people away even by a few inches from the exhibits: the only painting I remember with any distinctness is Michelangelo's Holy Family (and vague glimmerings of Botticelli). But that was in 1993, 31 years ago.
The most vivid memory I have from Florence is the Medici Chapel, with Michelangelo's tomb sculptures.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

pjme

I was recently in the Van Abbe museum in Eindhoven and in De Pont / Tilburg.

https://vanabbemuseum.nl/en

Interesting: "With over 25 multi-sensory tools, including texts in Braille, scent interpretations, tactile drawings and soundscapes, Delinking and Relinking represents the first, fully multi-sensory collection display in the Netherlands. Besides enriching the museum experience for everyone, the exhibition is accessible to a wide audience, including visually or hearing-impaired visitors and wheelchair users."

https://depont.nl/en/now-on-view

Laure Prouvost :" " Prouvost confronts the visitor with the consequences of global warming and the migration of people and birds – while at the same time, inviting us to float freely above the clouds and shatter the boundaries that limit us.  "

I enjoyed being immersed in Prouvost world. Even if it isn't a pleasant one. Quircky humor softens the hard edges. It will not change or save the world however...

mahler10th

I just went through this interesting thread because something I've decided to do is visit as many Museums as I can in the UK dedicated to Composers and other musical notaries.  Do Social Media for each wee trip.  Something like that.  So I wasn't going to comment...but I just had to...it is just jaw-dropping some of the Museums people in GMG go to.  I so admire that particular spirit of celebration that makes one visit any Museum...some of the places and venues and exhibitions themselves (all above, all the way back)...what a journey and what amazing things to be seen!  Just had to comment at such wonder.  :)

Cato

Quote from: mahler10th on April 25, 2024, 05:39:20 PMI just went through this interesting thread because something I've decided to do is visit as many Museums as I can in the UK dedicated to Composers and other musical notaries.  Do Social Media for each wee trip.  Something like that.  So I wasn't going to comment...but I just had to...it is just jaw-dropping some of the Museums people in GMG go to.  I so admire that particular spirit of celebration that makes one visit any Museum...some of the places and venues and exhibitions themselves (all above, all the way back)...what a journey and what amazing things to be seen!  Just had to comment at such wonder.  :)

An excellent quest!

Here is a curiosity which we could not fit into our schedule some years ago, when we were in London:

https://handelhendrix.org/

(The Georg Friedrich) Handel and (Jimi) Hendrix House. This includes the stunning Georgian rooms of Handel's house, the Hendrix flat, exhibitions and the immersive Messiah experience in Handel's Drawing Room.

Apparently Hendrix lived "next door" to where Georg Friedrich had lived, "separated only by a wall and two hundred years."   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)