The Thread for Those Who Wish to be Digressive

Started by kishnevi, July 08, 2016, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

I paid my taxes today. Carlton, my tax guy, is lots of fun. He laughs at my jokes.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Was Will Smith there, too?  Tell him I said hi. 8)

(my most fun tax experience was when, in the middle of our tax session, the H&R Block's manager's dog (a lab) came up to me in the office and wanted to play. It was about ready to fly around the place when I called his name lol).

Speaking of celebrities, I dreamed that I know Elon Musk well, thinking about the fact that I had been friends with him at least the last ten years. Actually, when I woke up, I was so convinced just a few minutes ago that I was surprised that I didn't know him at all. The reason why I dreamed about him was that I spent part of yesterday catching up to the anime that he likes.

Sooooo much better than dreaming about Jussie Smollett...
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

My fear that Amazon will take over the world is slightly assuaged when I find that their advertising AI thinks I will be interested in titles such as "The Most Relaxing Classical Music in the World."

:)

drogulus

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 16, 2019, 09:40:42 AM
My fear that Amazon will take over the world is slightly assuaged when I find that their advertising AI thinks I will be interested in titles such as "The Most Relaxing Classical Music in the World."

:)

Amazon recommended a book for me, Modern Money Theory: A Primer on Macroeconomics for Sovereign Monetary Systems by L Randall Wray. Therefore, Amazon has already taken over the world.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publications/2016-elections/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond

Bottom left = identitarian left
Bottom right = identitarian "alt-right"

Wait, the alt-right is supposed to be a "threat?"  ::)

drogulus

Quote from: greg on April 16, 2019, 04:30:01 PM
https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publications/2016-elections/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond

Bottom left = identitarian left
Bottom right = identitarian "alt-right"

Wait, the alt-right is supposed to be a "threat?"  ::)

By threat do you mean to vote or to kill?

greg

Quote from: drogulus on April 17, 2019, 04:24:18 AM
     By threat do you mean to vote or to kill?
Well, just voting would be considered a threat, I don't know about killing.  :P

The point is that the chart shows that Trump voters are a bit all over the place, many are even liberal but just don't want to play the identity politics game.

And the biggest point is that it shows the politically correct people (the lower left cluster) are fighting ghosts when it comes to talking about Neo-Nazis and alt-right- they are almost non-existent. It's almost as if they need an enemy and are trying to bait anyone who isn't playing the identity politics game by calling them Nazis all the time... well, that is exactly what's going on.

For anyone not getting it,
lower left = politically correct liberal
lower right = fascist, nationalists, possibly neo-Nazis, etc.

(btw i didn't vote in 2016).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: greg on April 17, 2019, 08:00:17 AMFor anyone not getting it,
lower left = politically correct liberal
lower right = fascist, nationalists, possibly neo-Nazis, etc.

You think that neo-Nazis are socially liberal? The lower right is "libertarian." The chart does not lend it self to representing the alt-right, with is not really distinguished by economic or social "liberalism" vs "conservatism" so much as by xenophobia, racism and the conspiracy-theorist mindset.

(btw i didn't vote in 2016).

Why am I not surprised.

greg

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 08:23:27 AM
You think that neo-Nazis are socially liberal? The lower right is "libertarian." The chart does not lend it self to representing the alt-right, with is not really distinguished by economic or social "liberalism" vs "conservatism" so much as by xenophobia, racism and the conspiracy-theorist mindset.
I think it's labeled in a confusing way.

I could be interpreting it wrong, but the way I see it is alt-right and PC culture is just two sides of the same coin, being identity politics itself, but then again, that could be a misinterpretation.

Actually, the more I read the page, the less sense the vertical definition makes.  :-X

Why am I not surprised.
I mean, anyone who voted last election either voted for a douche or a turd sandwich, so I don't get why anyone would be proud of that.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: greg on April 17, 2019, 09:58:20 AMI could be interpreting it wrong, but the way I see it is alt-right and PC culture is just two sides of the same coin, being identity politics itself, but then again, that could be a misinterpretation.

Anything can be taken to absurd extremes.

People have identities. People have not been treated the same in the United States based on these identities. That is a fact that did not have to be invented. The alt-right thinks that only people of a certain identity are proper citizens of the U.S., and they march in the streets of Charleston chanting "Jews will not replace us" and other racist slogans. What is derisively referred to as "PC culture" posits that all identities are deserving of respect and equal treatment. Maybe they are two sides of the same coin, as democracy and tyranny are two sides of the same coin. The two sides of the coin are not morally equivalent.

greg

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 10:18:15 AM
Anything can be taken to absurd extremes.

People have identities. People have not been treated the same in the United States based on these identities. That is a fact that did not have to be invented. The alt-right thinks that only people of a certain identity are proper citizens of the U.S., and they march in the streets of Charleston chanting "Jews will not replace us" and other racist slogans. What is derisively referred to as "PC culture" posits that all identities are deserving of respect and equal treatment. Maybe they are two sides of the same coin, as democracy and tyranny are two sides of the same coin. The two sides of the coin are not morally equivalent.
Yeah, that is a waaaaay overly naive view of PC culture.

Either you aren't informed enough about that side or you are one of them. If the former, we can still talk, but if the latter, it's probably going to be impossible based on my past observations/experiences.  :-\

drogulus

Why am I not surprised.

The chart is an illustration of what divides the voters and on some issues unites them. It doesn't distinguish the alt right as a voting bloc.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: greg on April 17, 2019, 10:44:22 AM
Yeah, that is a waaaaay overly naive view of PC culture.

Either you aren't informed enough about that side or you are one of them. If the former, we can still talk, but if the latter, it's probably going to be impossible based on my past observations/experiences.  :-\

Yes, I believe people have a right to define their own identities and are deserving of a basic level of respect. If that makes it impossible to talk to me, so be it. You are alt-right now, I take it?

greg

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 11:05:32 AM
Yes, I believe people have a right to define their own identities and are deserving of a basic level of respect. If that makes it impossible to talk to me, so be it. You are alt-right now, I take it?
I am anti-identitarian politics. That means I don't like the alt-right or the SJWs. Identity politics is not about individuals, it's all about the group. That is precisely what I despise. Of course, some level of that is needed, but the focus should always be on the individual and maximizing everyone's freedom and choices while not at the expense of others.

One problem with the identitarian left is the insistence on supporting every one of the "out-groups." But it is impossible- by supporting every out-group, you will only be supporting the most aggressive out-group, because that is the one that will prevail.

You want a society that is majority Muslim and also supports gay rights at the same time? Good luck. What about a large entitlement program and open borders? Good luck.

It's either a complete lack of understanding reality or the implications of one's actions, or both.

I don't know where you fit, but I would probably be more on the bottom left side if I didn't have any basic understanding of reality.

Quote from: drogulus on April 17, 2019, 11:01:02 AM
     The chart is an illustration of what divides the voters and on some issues unites them. It doesn't distinguish the alt right as a voting bloc.
The way I interpreted it (as well as the youtube video where I originally found it) was that it basically represents that, even if it isn't labeled as that. But looking at the explanations more, I'm not 100% sure now, since the descriptions are a bit all over the place for the vertical dimension.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 11:05:32 AM
His point, as you well know unless you are playing dumb, is that that is not an accurate characterization of PC culture. Jussie Smollett is.

greg

Quote from: Ken B on April 17, 2019, 04:19:08 PM
His point, as you well know unless you are playing dumb, is that that is not an accurate characterization of PC culture. Jussie Smollett is.
Don't bring him up, you may end up with a dream about him like I did.  :P

(btw, that guy is most likely a psycho/sociopath... apart from the lies and such, if you look at his eyes there's a creepy emptiness to them)

JBS

Hold on here!  As the person who founded this thread,I note this discussion is not digressing! Therefore this topic is not ontopic anymore!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ken B on April 17, 2019, 04:19:08 PM

What an insight! I am thunderstruck. The scales have fallen from my eyes. Of course Jussie Smollett is representative of mainstream Democrat PC Culture. I just looked up the statistics and sure enough, 75% of crime in the U.S. consists of borderline sociopath black homosexual actors staging phony hate crimes on themselves. And I just found a tweet from Barack Obama expressing outrage that Smollett didn't receive the hate crime from MAGA hat wearing bigots he was entitled to and had to pay for it out of his own money! Nancy Pelosi has just proposed a tax deduction for staged hate crime payments. Long overdue, if you ask me.

On, the digression. I just read that Mueller report notes that one reason the obstruction of justice charge is complicated is that Trump kept trying to obstruct justice but his staff kept refusing to carry out his orders.

In Trump Universe, that is exoneration.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 18, 2019, 09:12:53 AM
What an insight! I am thunderstruck. The scales have fallen from my eyes. Of course Jussie Smollett is representative of mainstream Democrat PC Culture. I just looked up the statistics and sure enough, 75% of crime in the U.S. consists of borderline sociopath black homosexual actors staging phony hate crimes on themselves. And I just found a tweet from Barack Obama expressing outrage that Smollett didn't receive the hate crime from MAGA hat wearing bigots he was entitled to and had to pay for it out of his own money! Nancy Pelosi has just proposed a tax deduction for staged hate crime payments. Long overdue, if you ask me.

On, the digression. I just read that Mueller report notes that one reason the obstruction of justice charge is complicated is that Trump kept trying to obstruct justice but his staff kept refusing to carry out his orders.

In Trump Universe, that is exoneration.
Ah. You weren't playing dumb.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on April 17, 2019, 06:06:36 PM
Hold on here!  As the person who founded this thread,I note this discussion is not digressing! Therefore this topic is not ontopic anymore!

I support the move for compliance
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot