The Thread for Those Who Wish to be Digressive

Started by kishnevi, July 08, 2016, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Actually, scrambled eggs and toast do just fine for me.

;),

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Today, I found a Charlie Card (a kind of debit card for MBTA fares) in my wallet.  I don't know how long it has been there;  if I had known, I might have used it for Mark's T rides, while he was in from Atlanta.  I then found myself (as a result of having moved myself there) on the Downtown Crossing concourse, and tapped the card at a fare machine;  I was advised that the card is inactive.  I might have been tempted simply to discard it, only the Charlie Card Store was right to hand, so I got in line.  Inactive though the card is, the agent was able to determine that I had $10.50 on't;  so she issued me a fresh card with the full value.

It was almost like found money.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Guy just got on the bus who is essentially a dead ringer for Mahler, even the glasses are right. Only the hairline is slightly wrong. He even has a European accent...

Whistled a few notes from Sym. No. 1 but he didn't react, oh well.

Reincarnated,

LKB

Karl Henning

Mahler would come back, just to spite us . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2018, 09:19:27 AM
Today, I found a Charlie Card (a kind of debit card for MBTA fares) in my wallet.  I don't know how long it has been there;  if I had known, I might have used it for Mark's T rides, while he was in from Atlanta.  I then found myself (as a result of having moved myself there) on the Downtown Crossing concourse, and tapped the card at a fare machine;  I was advised that the card is inactive.  I might have been tempted simply to discard it, only the Charlie Card Store was right to hand, so I got in line.  Inactive though the card is, the agent was able to determine that I had $10.50 on't;  so she issued me a fresh card with the full value.

It was almost like found money.

"Charlie Card" is a reference to the Kingston Trio song?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: LKB on May 10, 2018, 10:32:25 AMWhistled a few notes from Sym. No. 1 but he didn't react, oh well.

If you had it available on your mobile device, the best test would be to play a clip of the Karajan recording of his 6th symphony. If the stranger wrestled the phone from your hand, threw it to the floor and began stomping on it, shouting "that's not my music" it would be a clear tip off that the individual is indeed Mahler reincarnated. :)

North Star

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 10, 2018, 11:09:05 AM
If you had it available on your mobile device, the best test would be to play a clip of the Karajan recording of his 6th symphony. If the stranger wrestled the phone from your hand, threw it to the floor and began stomping on it, shouting "that's not my music" it would be a clear tip off that the individual is indeed Mahler reincarnated. :)
Oh, you're being ridiculous! The real Mahler would never react like that - he would have no idea that the recording is supposedly of his symphony.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: LKB on May 10, 2018, 10:32:25 AM
Guy just got on the bus who is essentially a dead ringer for Mahler, even the glasses are right. Only the hairline is slightly wrong. He even has a European accent...

Whistled a few notes from Sym. No. 1 but he didn't react, oh well.

Reincarnated,

LKB

Guess he's not Hans Rott either.

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 10, 2018, 10:45:49 AM
Mahler would come back, just to spite us . . . .

I don't know about that. I expect he'd rather spend the time revising his symphonies some more.

:laugh:,

LKB

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2018, 08:08:43 PM
Supper's Ready!!! Only a true Genesis fan would know this. ;)

. . . and: Mr Nick (Tom Waits) in The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: North Star on May 10, 2018, 12:07:33 PM
Oh, you're being ridiculous! The real Mahler would never react like that - he would have no idea that the recording is supposedly of his symphony.

He would have no idea that the sound was coming from a small metal box.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on May 11, 2018, 04:28:16 AM
He would have no idea that how the sound was coming from a small metal box.

Fixed that for you.

;),

LKB

Baron Scarpia

If Mahler was reincarnated and walking the earth again he would no doubt have familiarized himself with the features of the modern world.

Mahlerian

He recorded a few piano rolls, and rudimentary sound recording technology already existed at the time, so it's not that far from his conception.  Now, the idea of modern information technology...that would be something else entirely!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Mahlerian on May 11, 2018, 07:42:57 AM
He recorded a few piano rolls, and rudimentary sound recording technology already existed at the time, so it's not that far from his conception.  Now, the idea of modern information technology...that would be something else entirely!

I take most of it on faith, myself.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Mahlerian

No, the "mere exposure effect" doesn't explain preferences you personally find baffling.  It's only relevant between otherwise neutral alternatives.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg