The Thread for Those Who Wish to be Digressive

Started by kishnevi, July 08, 2016, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on March 19, 2019, 01:05:12 PM
For the last forty years I've made espresso at home, roasting my own beans as well.  But last year my machine's pump died.  The part costs less than $100 but taking the machine apart an installing it is very complicated and I am certain I will screw it up (there are no espresso service repair shops in Tennessee I'd trust, and I don't want to ship it off to New Jersey).  So, I am thinking of buying a new machine.  I may upgrade my roaster at the same time. 

I've been living without espresso for months.  We will be moving in a couple of months so it may end up becoming a rather expensive house warming gift to myself.  Well, my wife also likes espresso, too - so she may indulge me.

;)

What machine did you have? The automatic machines cost a king's ransom, but the non-automated ones are a more reasonable.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

That, I'd call super-fancy. In the past I used an old Gaggia, which they now call "The "Classic." "The Classic" being a euphemism for "The Old Obsolete One." Of course, true authentic espresso should be pressed out with a hand-activated cylinder. HIP espresso. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 19, 2019, 11:43:51 AM
I use the Starbucks loyalty program because I can order a coffee using their app and pick it up on the way to work (saving time), and a side benefit is that I accumulate bonus points that allow me to get a free coffee every week or two.

I got an email notice that "exciting updates are coming" to the rewards program. The principal exciting update is that I have to accumulate more points before I can redeem them for a free coffee.

Apparently they think I am an idiot.

That doesn't excite you?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

greg

Anyone hear about Andrew Yang?

I watched the entire Joe Rogan podcast with him. Interesting stuff, but is there a good argument against his plan of action? I would like to know... and if not, is there a better plan? Because it seems like he's the only one concerned with actually doing something, and also he's a rare candidate that doesn't have this sort of egoistic fakeness to his character. Automation might not affect me much since I'm kind of a part of the industry that would be most involved contributing to it, but living in a country where the employment rate is 50% and all the negative stuff that comes along with it is very undesirable.

But I would like to know if there's convincing evidence that his plan would/wouldn't be a complete disaster...

(thinking this is appropriate for the Digressive thread, meaning "be digressive"/convince me he's wrong)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on March 19, 2019, 02:14:39 PM
My first good machine was that Gaggia Classic.  I used it for a long time before upgrading to the Expobar.  I've also had these stove top makers, like this one:

And one I bought on 8th Avenue for $10 that I'd just seen at MoMA back in the mid-80s

One of your pictures it not coming up for me.  I have this one, the Bialetti
[now I see it, same one as mine.]

It's a concentrated coffee, but I wouldn't call it espresso.

My relatives in the Bronx used to use something that looked like this, which made what they called "black coffee."

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ken B on March 19, 2019, 08:25:43 PM
Bully boy Boulez https://www.newstatesman.com/node/150961

How long has he been dead? Brings to mind Trump's obsession with McCain. :)

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2019, 01:17:53 AM
I am discovering that music described as of the period Fin de siècle really appeals to me.

8)
Does the siècle matter, or will and fin do?

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

NikF4

Quote from: drogulus on March 27, 2019, 06:25:54 AM
     I need an electric screwdriver.

You want one in order to attach one of those adapters that enables quick and easy winding on of guitar strings, don't you?

NikF4

I've just bought one year's full membership at the boxing gym (not boxing club) I recently started using. At my age I've no plans to spar again, but the general kind of vibe that goes with the facilities is an increasingly rare pleasure.

drogulus

Quote from: NikF4 on March 27, 2019, 06:35:33 AM
You want one in order to attach one of those adapters that enables quick and easy winding on of guitar strings, don't you?

No, I want one to take the back panel off my cabs to change speakers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: drogulus on March 27, 2019, 09:12:46 AM

You don't have an electric drill? I have one with variable speed and works just fine for driving or removing the occasional screw.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF4

Quote from: drogulus on March 27, 2019, 09:12:46 AM

Ah, close but no cigar.  And if it's your new Fane speaker - enjoy!

drogulus

I know from deep personal experience that there is such a thing as "horse girl energy". My niece has it.

greg

Last night I dreamed that I was in a cafeteria and happened to be sitting next to Jussie Smollett. Needless to say, I was extremely uncomfortable and wanted to run away.  :-X
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Did he offer to pay you to dump your coke over his head while yelling racial epithets?

Ken B

Man, do you ever need better dreams.

Tip: Linda Evangelista.