Started by Scion7, July 13, 2016, 05:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

A very short list of works:

•   Symphony in C minor , 1889
   •   Orchestral Picture: Cloud and Sunshine, Philharmonic Society 1890
   •   Symphony in E minor, 1892
   •   Violin Concerto in D minor, 1896
   •   The Triumph of Alcestis, Scena for Contralto and Orchestra, Sheffield Festival 1902
   •   Ode to the North-East Wind, Choral Ballad, Norwich Festival 1905
   •   "A Silent Voice", song
   •   Coronation March 1910

A good bio on MusicWebhttp://www.musicweb-international.com/cliffe/

from The New Grove:

English pianist, organist, composer and teacher. Cliffe's musical gifts were evident early in life: he was an accomplished pianist at the age of six and a church organist when he was 11; at 16 he was organist to the Bradford Festival Choral Society. In 1883, after studying at the National Training School of Music, he joined the piano teaching staff of the RCM, where his pupils included John Ireland and Arthur Benjamin.  . . .  Frederic Cliffe also taught at the RAM and travelled extensively as a solo pianist, accompanist and examiner. He was organist to the 1886 Leeds Festival when Sullivan's Golden Legend was produced and Bach's B minor Mass was first performed in Leeds, Cliffe having arranged the organ part. In London he was organist to the Bach Choir (1888–94) and to several principal theatres. His compositions, including two symphonies and a violin concerto, were very highly esteemed early in his career, but he ceased composing after about 1905 and long outlived his reputation as a composer.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

As far as I can find, the other symphony remains unrecorded.   No, there is a private pressing - see below.

[asin]B0000E2RGL[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Good writing for the violin part, Romantic in nature.

[asin]B004G7FFBC[/asin]

Scion7

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Nov/Cliffe_sy2.htm

Frederic CLIFFE (1857-1931)
Symphony No. 2 in E minor (1893) [59:59]
Coronation March (1910) [7:31]
Lambeth Orchestra/Christopher Fifield
rec. All Saints Church, West Dulwich, London, 18 July 2015 (symphony); 6 December 2014 (public performance) (march)
ELYROSE PROMOTIONS no catalogue number

private pressing - may be available by contacting:  cgfifield@btinternet.com
UPDATE-looks like the disc runs about a £10 note, and a £5 note for overseas shipping.

calyptorhynchus

"the English composer that quit"

"The English composer who stopped composing" would be more English.
:)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Scion7

Yes, that WOULD be "more English" (number of words?   :P )

springrite

The English Composer Who Should have Persevered but Quit, and The English ComposerS Who Should have Quit but Kept on Composing
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

This Symphony No. 1 by a composer who quitted composing too early is incredibly good, though it doesn't sound entirely English, but it has elements of Austro-German composers, mostly Bruckner. The slow movement Ballade contains the best music, a glorious and sublime utterance. Sterling has released some stupendous stuff and this disc belongs to the best, despite the recording has a little of reverberation.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 01, 2023, 07:02:52 PMThis Symphony No. 1 by a composer who quitted composing too early is incredibly good, though it doesn't sound entirely English, but it has elements of Austro-German composers, mostly Bruckner. The slow movement Ballade contains the best music, a glorious and sublime utterance. Sterling has released some stupendous stuff and this disc belongs to the best, despite the recording has a little of reverberation.

Most interesting Cesar - must look out for this one.
PS Amazon informs me that I bought this CD in 2004  ::) But where is it? That is the question.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2023, 11:13:51 PMMost interesting Cesar - must look out for this one.
PS Amazon informs me that I bought this CD in 2004  ::) But where is it? That is the question.

It's a fairly traditional yet compelling symphony and perhaps I wasn't spot on when I claimed about the Bruckner connection, but there's a clear influence by composers alike.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Albion

The Sterling recording is too boomy and sounds like it was recorded in a swimming pool. I prefer this alternative live performance -

Symphony No.1 in C minor, Op.1 (1889)
AOIDE SO/ Gerd Müller-Lorenz (31/10/2019)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kij0lau88xz12qd/Cliffe_-_Symphony_No.1%252C_Op.1_%25281889%2529.mp3/file

- and here is his 1911 Coronation March.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6tuyjr27pnw6xgb/Cliffe_-_Coronation_March_%25281911%2529.mp3/file
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)