The Koussevitsky Thread

Started by vandermolen, July 16, 2016, 12:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I think that he was one of the greatest conductors. His recording, for example, of Howard Hanson's Third Symphony makes it sound like a masterpiece unlike every other recording known to me. His 'Tapiola' and Symphony 7 by Sibelius have a unique intensity as does 'Pohjola's Daughter'. His Tchaikovsky 'Pathtique' Symphony on RCA ends in glowering darkness. Any other views/favourite recordings by Koussevitsky?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ComposerOfAvantGarde

He did so much to promote living composers in his day, commissioning many brilliant and famous works that are performed regularly today. I admire him very much for his advocacy despite his difficulty in actually reading an orchestral score!!!   ??? ??? ???

One very interesting thing to hear is a live performance of Bartók's Concerto for Orchestra from before the Koussevitsky suggested the additional coda.

XB-70 Valkyrie

I like his Tchaikovsky a great deal, but would like to explore his work with other composers. I have an old RCA LP (early 50) of him playing the double bass, and on the other side, conducting Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet--very nice performances all.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Drasko

Quote from: vandermolen on July 16, 2016, 12:40:25 AM
Any other views/favourite recordings by Koussevitsky?

- Tchaikovsky 4-6 (live on Music & Arts), actually 5-6, 4th is in rather poor sound.

- Brahms 3, 4 (Pearl) one of my favorite 3rds.

- Sibelius 2, 5, 7, Pohjola, Tapiola (Pearl 2 CD set)

- I remember liking his La Mer in blind listening game but not sure if I heard the whole thing.

vandermolen

Quote from: Draško on July 19, 2016, 11:40:13 AM
- Tchaikovsky 4-6 (live on Music & Arts), actually 5-6, 4th is in rather poor sound.

- Brahms 3, 4 (Pearl) one of my favorite 3rds.

- Sibelius 2, 5, 7, Pohjola, Tapiola (Pearl 2 CD set)

- I remember liking his La Mer in blind listening game but not sure if I heard the whole thing.
Very many thanks for recommendations.  :)

He composed a Double Bass concerto I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2016, 10:06:37 AM

Yes!

The CD's are impossibly expensive on Amazon, but there is a $3.00 download:

https://www.amazon.com/Koussevitzky-Double-Concerto-Paganini-Fantasy/dp/B00SDOW3O6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1469107580&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=double+bass+concerto+koussevitzky

If you can find them, Koussevitzky and the Boston Symphony made great recordings of the Tchaikovsky Fifth Symphony and the Brahms Fourth Symphony.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Does anyone know if there is a release of collected recordings of works he commissioned?

PaulR

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2016, 10:06:37 AM

He also composed a couple of other pieces that have made it into the "standard rep" for bassists. (Definitely Valse Miniature, maybe Chanson Triste).  They aren't spectacular works, but they are decent works.  (It's funny listening to his recordings of these works and him using techniques that we would be yelled at if we did it today).

Heck148

Quote from: Cato on July 21, 2016, 05:38:46 AM
If you can find them, Koussevitzky and the Boston Symphony made great recordings of the Tchaikovsky Fifth Symphony....

Interesting story about Tchaikovsky 5 with Koussie - I heard a tape of a live performance of Tchaik 5 which featured Willem Valkenier as principal horn - [1937-50]...he lived right down the street from me, lived to be 98 yo - great stories, wonderful character.
according to Valkenier - Koussie was always trying to "bust his chops", and on this occasion, he took the intro to the horn solo in mvt II at a glacially slow tempo...agonizing, and virtually impossible to execute...it's amazing, the strings are slogging along, molto adagio ...when Valkenier enters, he immediately speeds up to a more normal tempo - the strings follow perfectly - it's like a chamber music concert - Koussie has no choice but to follow along...