Author Topic: 10 favourite British Composers  (Read 50520 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: 10 favourite British Composers
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »
Isn’t he Irish? ;)

I meant from British Isles, and that includes Ireland.  8)
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2021, 05:26:49 PM »
Benjamin Britten
George Dyson
Gustav Holst
Edward Elgar
Ralph Vaughan Williams
William Walton
Herbert Howells
John Foulds
William Mathias
Cornelius Cardew

Dyson, Foulds and Cardew (whom I don't know yet) are "sleepers" as certain chubby guy would claim about unexpected composers.   ;D
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2021, 12:39:59 AM »
Benjamin Britten
George Dyson
Gustav Holst
Edward Elgar
Ralph Vaughan Williams
William Walton
Herbert Howells
John Foulds
William Mathias
Cornelius Cardew

I was an early-music-o-phile as a young man, but I don’t get to the Renaissance and Baroque Eras much anymore. I do, however, have preferences from these fellows after eons of singing and playing their music, so PLEASE excuse my cheat:
Henry Purcell
Thomas Tallis
William Byrd
John Dowland
Thomas Weelkes
Orlando Gibbons
Thomas Morley
John Tave(r)ner (I forget which is which, but the older one)
Christopher Tye
John Farmer

Hi VS,

I had to google too as I have a strong "tendency" to forget which one of the JTs is the early music composer vs. the more recent one; the one with the "r" is the early music one.  Perhaps try thinking of old taverns to associate it with the earlier composer?

Well, I'd love to hear of some of your favorite works by them--some of whom in particular I know very little about (including some of their best known and liked works)....like John Dowland, Weelkes, Gibbons, Morely, Taverner, Tye and Farmer!  ::)  Like you, I don't often dive into early music though I do have a bit of it here and there, so could use some pointing direction-wise.  :)

PD
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 01:32:59 AM by Pohjolas Daughter »

Offline DaveF

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2021, 11:07:14 PM »
Locke, Blow or Boyce...

Interesting in that one mention of William Boyce from 5 years ago is, as far as I can see, the only appearance on anyone's list of a composer born, or mainly active in, the 18th century.  Apart from Handel, and he was German (runs for cover...).  Likewise, no-one who did most of their significant work in the 19th century makes an appearance.  This is probably no more than a reflection of the good taste of GMG members, but would nobody think of including Parry, Stanford, Sullivan, Samuel Wesley (the "English Mozart"), Arne or Croft?  Not sure any of them would make it onto my list, but thought it worth pointing out.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2021, 02:32:01 AM »
Benjamin Britten
George Dyson
Gustav Holst
Edward Elgar
Ralph Vaughan Williams
William Walton
Herbert Howells
John Foulds
William Mathias
Cornelius Cardew

I was an early-music-o-phile as a young man, but I don’t get to the Renaissance and Baroque Eras much anymore. I do, however, have preferences from these fellows after eons of singing and playing their music, so PLEASE excuse my cheat:
Henry Purcell
Thomas Tallis
William Byrd
John Dowland
Thomas Weelkes
Orlando Gibbons
Thomas Morley
John Tave(r)ner (I forget which is which, but the older one)
Christopher Tye
John Farmer
I regret leaving Dyson and Foulds off my own list - Foulds in particular.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2021, 06:28:00 AM »
Sorry all, my work schedule prevents me from chiming in most weekdays, but there is no time like the present.

Dyson, Foulds and Cardew (whom I don't know yet) are "sleepers" as certain chubby guy would claim about unexpected composers.   ;D

Dyson is a personal preference for sure, but for a choral music lover, his oratorios speak to me strongly, as does Fould's Requiem.

As to Cornelius Cardew, an avant-garde composer, his music has made an memorable impression on me in performance, the best place to experience experimental music in my eyes. I don't know if his music would translate as strongly for me as much on record.

Hi VS,

Well, I'd love to hear of some of your favorite works by them--some of whom in particular I know very little about (including some of their best known and liked works)....like John Dowland, Weelkes, Gibbons, Morely, Taverner, Tye and Farmer!  ::)  Like you, I don't often dive into early music though I do have a bit of it here and there, so could use some pointing direction-wise.  :)

PD

I have reams of madrigals, motets, masses, songs, and other works of these fellows, but a rare few recordings. I am charmed by the strong pleasure some GMG members derive from early-music recordings, but at the moment, I am not drawn to listen to that era at length, which could certainly change. So I guess for me, my list is purely derived from performance rather than recordings, so I would be a poor judge.

I regret leaving Dyson and Foulds off my own list - Foulds in particular.

It is tough, with the strong pull of Holst, VW, Elgar, and Walton, among others, to include those we enjoy off-the-beaten path. Luckily, lists can change depending on one's mood  ;)

Interesting in that one mention of William Boyce from 5 years ago is, as far as I can see, the only appearance on anyone's list of a composer born, or mainly active in, the 18th century.  Apart from Handel, and he was German (runs for cover...).  Likewise, no-one who did most of their significant work in the 19th century makes an appearance.  This is probably no more than a reflection of the good taste of GMG members, but would nobody think of including Parry, Stanford, Sullivan, Samuel Wesley (the "English Mozart"), Arne or Croft?  Not sure any of them would make it onto my list, but thought it worth pointing out.

It is interesting. I don't think I could put Parry, Stanford, or Sullivan on my list either, despite enjoying some items from them, particularly Stanford's motets. Thomas Arne never even crossed my mind, but I would definitely need to explore more of Croft, Wesley, and Boyce.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:34:47 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »

"A certain chubby guy" :laugh: :laugh:
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff