10 favourite British Composers

Started by ComposerOfAvantGarde, July 19, 2016, 08:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

AH yes Richard Barrett is another brilliant Brit I overlooked...........

Jo498

Quote from: Andante on July 20, 2016, 01:22:29 PM
As far as I can see not one mention of George Frideric Handel ??? :( :(
He is only counted as Anglo-Saxon by the Brits, elsewhere he is only a Saxon.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Wanderer

In alphabetical order:

Brian
Britten
Delius
Elgar
Finzi
Foulds
Simpson
Sorabji
Tippett
Vaughan Williams
Walton

More favourites:

Arnold
Bantock
Birtwistle
Bliss
Bridge
Boughton
Dyson
Holst
Parry
Ireland

Honourable mention: Tovey (for his splendid Piano Concerto)

Wanderer

Quote from: Jo498 on July 20, 2016, 11:03:47 PM

+1

Quote from: amw on July 20, 2016, 08:27:52 PM
Medtner

Aww. Not a Brit, but much too cool and tasteful a selection for me to object.

amw

British citizen, spent a large part of his life in Britain, he's a Brit ;)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: amw on July 21, 2016, 01:52:42 AM
British citizen, spent a large part of his life in Britain, he's a Brit ;)
Rather off topic, but I wish this was a much more common philosophy regarding immigrants to the UK in recent times....... ::)

some guy

Yes, me too.

I've been living in Europe for the past four years, here and there, and there are two things that are important to everyone but me, where I was born and when I was born.

Anyway, yes to Gerhard and to Rawsthorne as well, why not?

Natasha Barrett (unless she counts as Norwegian, now)
Diana Salazar
Tim Hodgkinson
Chris Cutler
Jonty Harrison
Keith Rowe
Anna Clyne
Graham Lambkin

Karl Henning

If I had a name like Lambkin, I'd find gates to frisk at.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

First attempt:

Bate
Berkeley (père)
Bliss
Brian
Gipps
Goossens
Holst
Moeran
Tippett
Vaughan Williams
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on July 21, 2016, 03:48:07 AM
If I had a name like Lambkin, I'd find gates to frisk at.
You can always use the pen name Nigel Lambkin.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Quote from: springrite on July 21, 2016, 06:14:13 AM
You can always use the pen name Nigel Lambkin.

Thanks, if I should have occasion, I will!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Andante

Quote from: Jo498 on July 20, 2016, 11:03:47 PM

He was naturalised as a brit sorry Brit in 1727 but I can sympathise with you.
No mention of John Kenneth Tavener 1944 – 2013 what on earth is the matter with you lot?
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

North Star

Quote from: Andante on July 21, 2016, 01:19:07 PM
He was naturalised as a brit sorry Brit in 1727 but I can sympathise with you.
Naturalized at the tender young age of 42. Händel was every bit as British as Medtner, or Stravinsky an American.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Andante

Quote from: North Star on July 21, 2016, 02:18:18 PM
Naturalized at the tender young age of 42. Händel was every bit as British as Medtner, or Stravinsky an American.

So he is not a Brit ??? What should he have done to become one?
I emigrated to my present Country and eventualy applied for and became became a citizen of my adopted country does that mean I am living a lie?
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Personally I believe Handel is not a Brit, but he certainly was one! As soon as someone is a citizen in a particular country then they are a citizen of that country, right?

Andante

Quote from: jessop on July 21, 2016, 03:28:06 PM
Personally I believe Handel is not a Brit, but he certainly was one! As soon as someone is a citizen in a particular country then they are a citizen of that country, right?

Yes! If you are accepted as a citizen of Xland then you are an Xlander.

But still no mention of Tavener  :laugh:

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Tavener has written a few pieces which I am utterly enthusiastic about; In Alium is probably my favourite work of his. I am still unfamiliar with a lot of his work and there is a great deal of vocal music which isn't usually my cup of tea.

Andante

Quote from: jessop on July 21, 2016, 04:39:20 PM
Tavener has written a few pieces which I am utterly enthusiastic about; In Alium is probably my favourite work of his. I am still unfamiliar with a lot of his work and there is a great deal of vocal music which isn't usually my cup of tea.
Well there is the difference between us, my favourite genres in serious music are Chamber and Choral in particular the great English tradition of choral music hence my love of Handel admittedly Taverners music is a bit more modern but I like it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on July 21, 2016, 03:28:06 PM

With this in mind, why is Honegger considered a Swiss composer then? He lived all of his life in France and grew up in their culture, but, yet, he's referred to as a Swiss composer. He was even a member of Les Six!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2016, 07:38:09 PM
With this in mind, why is Honegger considered a Swiss composer then? He lived all of his life in France and grew up in their culture, but, yet, he's referred to as a Swiss composer. He was even a member of Les Six!
He was a Swiss-born Frenchman. :)
I have found that it usually makes sense to use the '-born' suffix to describe composers by their nationality of birth. I am an Australian-born but who knows where I will go in the world in a few years' time. Handel in his later years was a German-born Englishman...
One composer I have seen 'claimed' by none less than three countries is Percy Grainger who has been described as Australian, English and American depending on who you're talking to! No confusion surrounding his place of birth though (Australia)..........but in the grand scheme of musical things, he probably should be associated more with British music than the music of any other nation or culture.