The Music Room > Classical Music for Beginners

My mind is melting!

(1/11) > >>

Sungam:
I have fallen away from the straight and narrow path that is classical music.  Now that I try to jump back into it, it burns!  I need something that will ease my mind back into the giant pool of classical goodness - any suggestions?

Brewski:
How about revisiting an old warhorse, such as:

Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade
Brahms: Symphony No. 1
Bernstein: Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story"
Debussy: La Mer

But it's hard to know what would do the trick!  Hope your mind un-melts soon.  ;D

--Bruce

Harry:
Or to take it easy, some lute music, gently going over in the preludes by Chopin, or Mompou.
Be a man, be a classical man, be a classical music man. ;D

Brian:

--- Quote from: Sungam on April 06, 2007, 05:57:53 AM ---I have fallen away from the strait and narrow path that is classical music.  Now that I try to jump back into it, it burns!  I need something that will ease my mind back into the giant pool of classical goodness - any suggestions?

--- End quote ---
Well ... what music do you listen to now? That could help us narrow things down; for example, if you love jazz I would point you to Gershwin, Shostakovich's "Jazz Suites" and "Ballet Suites", the "Gaite Parisienne", and the piano music of Louis Moreau Gottschalk.  :)

Sungam:
Scheherazade: Classical Goodness, my high school orchestra performed the last movement for the state contest, and won.  Go Valpo!

Brahms: Symphony No. 1 - Brahms is a good one.  I have a CD of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing this, and love it.

Bernstein: Symphonic Dances - I have never listened to this one, I'll have to find it somehow, hopefully free . . .

Debussy: La mer - Again, I have a cd of this; CSO with their personal back-up choir.  Half of my 14 disk "collection" is the CSO actually . . . it a crutch because I've bought cd's that suck from other orchestra' . . . CSO has always delivered.

I've already listen to and loved the "New World Symphony", all four of Brahms Symphonies, Copland's Symphony #3, and Ravel's Bolero.  I'm going to majoring in music in the fall, I'd better be developing an ear for classical soon!

Some of what I listen to now that is post-rock stuff like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, and Mogwai.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version