My mind is melting!

Started by Sungam, April 06, 2007, 06:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Quote from: bhodges on April 06, 2007, 01:02:17 PM
Great cover art on that Silesian CD, Maciek!  And nice to see Icebreaker mentioned.  I heard them here in the summer of 2005, and wrote this review.

--Bruce

Thanks for the links, Bruce! (I was looking for Icebreaker's page but didn't find it.) That must have been a great concert. Hoketus is a great piece!

Sungam

I really appreciate all the music suggestions, the link to "Republique - Grzegorz Ciechowski" in particular sounds great.

Symphonien

Quote from: D Minor on April 06, 2007, 11:15:04 AM
Speaking of Piano Concertos: 

Prokofiev PC 3

Why does everyone always seem to mention the 3rd and forget about my favourite piano concerto, the Prokofiev 2nd?

Watch this, and you will become obsessed with classical music once more! -

1st Movement - Part 1
1st Movement - Part 2
2nd Movement
3rd Movement
4th Movement - Part 1
4th Movement - Part 2

Maciek

It's my favorite too. But I don't think you could call that a gentle way of easing yourself back into the classics... ;)

Maciek

Quote from: Sungam on April 06, 2007, 04:57:30 PM
I really appreciate all the music suggestions, the link to "Republique - Grzegorz Ciechowski" in particular sounds great.

That is one cool CD! I'm glad you like what you hear. I can't find it on amazon but if you'd like to, you can order it from the Polish internet shop I linked the picture to. However, beware! The page I linked to is for the SACD (not Hybrid!). If you'd like an ordinary CD, go here. The CD is quite cheap (23.5 PLN = approx. $ 8), so even if you include the shipping it probably won't cost you much...? If you decide to buy it, that is. ;)

Maciek

Symphonien

Quote from: MrOsa on April 07, 2007, 02:04:49 AM
It's my favorite too. But I don't think you could call that a gentle way of easing yourself back into the classics... ;)

It's your favourite too? Cool!

So maybe it's not a gentle way of easing yourself back into the classics... But whenever I listen to it, it reminds me of what music is capable of, especially with that powerful first movement and the amazing cadenza. The second movement is simply perfect, the third movement is so cool. And the 4th movement even has that beautiful melody.

jwinter

Quote from: Don on April 06, 2007, 01:06:49 PM
I must not belong here then. ::)

Me neither.  I've tried Gilels, Richter, Cziffra, Van Cliburn... it's just not my fave.  I love Tchaikovsky, but the first PC is just so over the top...

If you want Tchaikovsky, try Mravinsky's set of symphonies 4-6.  That ought to do the trick ;D
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

BachQ

Tchaikovsky's 1st PC makes for a wonderful emetic (i.e., epicerastic or vomitory).

Haffner

Mozart's Serenades and early String Quartets.

The Emperor

I think some Arvo Pärt would be a good suggestion also.
Since post rock (which i love) relies much in atmosphere and ambience, i think pieces like cantus in the memory of Benjamin Britten, frates, Festina Lente would be good suggestions to the post rock lover.
Maybe Steve Reich would be also a great suggestion, post rock tend to be repetitive with lots of layers, so Mr. Reich, i think is a good suggestion also. Music for 18 musicians and eight lines (the only pieces i have, a shame!) are fine examples.

Siedler

Quote from: D Minor on April 07, 2007, 12:52:40 PM
Tchaikovsky's 1st PC makes for a wonderful emetic (i.e., epicerastic or vomitory).
Why  ::)

Bogey

Quote from: D Minor on April 07, 2007, 12:52:40 PM

Did your emoticon just throw up a rubber chicken D?  Look at it closely now.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

Quote from: Bill on April 09, 2007, 07:49:19 PM

:D

Bill, your have eye of eagle, friend and grasshoppa.

karlhenning

Quote from: Sungam on April 06, 2007, 06:57:53 AM
I have fallen away from the straight and narrow path that is classical music.  Now that I try to jump back into it, it burns!  I need something that will ease my mind back into the giant pool of classical goodness - any suggestions?

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 13, Opus 113, Babi Yar

BachQ

Quote from: Bill on April 09, 2007, 07:49:19 PM

Well . . . . . . by golly . . . . . .  :D

Sungam

Quote from: karlhenning on April 10, 2007, 04:25:04 AM
Shostakovich
Symphony No. 13, Opus 113, Babi Yar

Would it be wrong to call Shostakovitch an owninator, master of all he surveys?

I'm getting sick of seeing my post quoted as having "strait" instead of "straight".  It is all editorial trickery, a conspiracy to sully my good name.

karlhenning

Quote from: Sungam on April 10, 2007, 06:57:06 AM
I'm getting sick of seeing my post quoted as having "strait" instead of "straight".  It is all editorial trickery, a conspiracy to sully my good name.

I've corrected it in the quotation in my post.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Harry on April 06, 2007, 07:11:12 AM
Or to take it easy, some lute music, gently going over in the preludes by Chopin, or Mompou.
Be a man, be a classical man, be a classical music man. ;D

262 posts already, Harry? That's 65.5 a day. Slow down, man, you'll give yourself a coronary at this rate.

karlhenning

Ah! The artist formerly known as dudldu8)

Haffner

Quote from: Egebedieff on April 11, 2007, 01:42:41 AM
The Bizet Symphony in C is a little like having a fling.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PBbjvIfWCLg

I like that Bizet as well, I have it performed by the Royal Philharmonic (cheap cd, but sound is quite good!).