Ives
Copland
Carter
Bernstein
Gershwin
Piston
Barber
Adams
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2023, 05:21:32 AMInteresting list Danny. I hardly know Rouse and have never heard of Ruhr.

Haha. Probably because I typo'd her name! Corrected in the OP so as not to misdirect others. Apologies.

Fine composers, both. Elena Ruehr has a cycle of SQs that I think are outstanding.#3 'Bel Canto' is a good starting point, or the O'Keeffe Images.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 01, 2023, 04:43:04 PMHaha. Probably because I typo'd her name! Corrected in the OP so as not to misdirect others. Apologies.

Fine composers, both. Elena Ruehr has a cycle of SQs that I think are outstanding.#3 'Bel Canto' is a good starting point, or the O'Keeffe Images.
Thanks Danny. I've never heard of Ruehr either!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 01, 2023, 01:10:37 PMPeter Mennin
Ned Rorem
Henry Cowell
Bernstein
Paul Creston
Ernest Bloch
Kamran Ince
Danielpour
W.C. Handy
Gershwin

Hm. Peter Mennin. Kamran Ince. Paul Creston. Yes. Hm.

Oh, and Charles Ives. And Alla Pavlova.

Hm.

Tolstoy

Maestro267

Bernstein
Copland
Corigliano
Gershwin
Barber
Schuman
Daugherty
Adams

atardecer

My favorites are Ives, Carter and Partch.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa