Taneyev
Kabalevsky
Medtner
Juon*
Tchaikovsky (P.)
Rimsky-Korsakov
Borodin
Glière

*If Juon doesn't count (he was Russian-born but spent much of his life elsewhere), I'll replace him with Arensky.

This was a difficult one for me. I would've liked to include Weinberg since he composed a few works that are very dear to me, however a significant portion of his output leaves me rather cold. My omission of Shostakovich will doubtlessly raise eyebrows, and I fully recognize his greatness as a composer, however I'm rarely in the mood to listen to his music these days (aside from a few works). Glazunov is a composer who I'm constantly "flip-flopping" my opinion of (kinda like John with Delius ;)) - I would've doubtlessly included him a few months ago. I very much like what I've heard of Schnittke's and A. Tcherepnin's music but I feel like I'm not familiar with enough of their outputs to merit their inclusion here. I debated including Borodin simply because he composed so little music (same goes for Kalinnikov, who I would've loved to include), but I decided in favor of him since what he did write is so treasurable to me.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

In some sort of order:

1. Shostakovich
2. Prokofiev

Tchaikovsky
Rachmaninov
Glazunov
Taneyev
Rimsky-Korsakov
Kabalevsky
Glière (or Myaskovsky)
Stravinsky

Honorable mentions: B. Tchaikovsky and Weinberg.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

DavidW

I guess I'll try, I haven't been one for these list threads of late.

DSCH, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Rach, Stravinsky

Those are my top tier.  I like other Russian composers for sure, but I wouldn't label them as favorite like those five.  I don't know if even Prokofiev counts since he is actually Ukrainian.

ritter

Well, in my case, there's Stravinsky, and then...Stravinsky, and...again, Stravinsky. Would also name Mussorgsky, Scriabin, and Prokofiev.

Ah, did I mention Stravinsky;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Favorite Russian composers:

Tchaikovsky
Rachmaninoff
Shostakovich
Stravinsky
Prokofiev (now Ukraine)?
Mussorgsky
Borodin
Rimsky-Korsakov
?
?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Today's list:

Miaskovsky
Shostakovich
Prokofiev
Weinberg (unless he counts as Polish) otherwise Popov
Glazunov
Rimsky-Korsakov
Rachmaninov
Kabalevsky
Gliere
Eshpai
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Today's list (for now):

Shostakovich
Prokofiev
Weinberg
Tchaikovsky
Stravinsky
Rachmaninov
Glazunov
Schnittke
Gubaidulina
Shchedrin

Toh

Total vote count (the most recent list from each participant):

Prokofiev: x28
Rachmaninov: x28
Shostakovich: x27
Stravinsky: x27
Tchaikovsky: x26
Rimsky-Korsakov: x20
Mussorgsky: x19
Scriabin: x17
Schnittke: x13
Glazunov: x9
Borodin: x8
Medtner: x8
Gubaidulina: x7
Myaskovsky: x7
Taneyev: x6
Weinberg: x6
Glière: x5
Kabalevsky: x4
Balakirev: x3
Eshpai: x3
Glinka: x3
Roslavets: x3
Arensky: x2
Denisov: x2
Kalinnikov: x2
Lyadov: x2
Lyapunov: x2
Mosolov: x2
Ustvolskaya: x2
Wyschnegradsky: x2
Avraamov: x1
Bortkiewicz: x1
Bortnyansky: x1
Cui: x1
Dargomyzhsky: x1
Dorokhov: x1
Firsova: x1
Juon: x1
Khachaturian: x1
Khubeev: x1
Korndorf: x1
Kourliandski: x1
Matyushin: x1
Obukhov: x1
Pavlova: x1
Popov: x1
Shchedrin: x1
Tishchenko: x1

Lisztianwagner

Mine, in no particular order:

Rachmaninov
Tchaikovsky
Shostakovich
Prokofiev
Stravinsky
Schnittke
Rimsky-Korsakov
Glazunov
Scriabin
Bortkiewicz
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Symphonic Addict

Top 3

Shostakovich
Prokofiev
Tchaikovsky, Piotr

Then

Rachmaninov
Glazunov
Rimsky-Korsakov
Stravinsky
Schnittke
Kabalevsky
Gliere
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

San Antone

Here's my list, not ranked.

Weinberg
Shostakovich
Stravinsky
Nikolai Myaskovsky
Sofia Gubaidulina
Alfred Schnittke
Tigran Mansuryan
Lera Auerbach
Alexander Scriabin
Sergei Taneyev

Karl Henning

Bortnyansky
Glinka
Tchaikovsky
Rakhmaninov
Stravinsky
Prokofiev
Myaskovsky
Shostakovich
Weinberg
Schnittke
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Toh

Mine would be:

1) Tchaikovsky, Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich
2) Taneyev, Glazunov, Medtner, Wyschnegradsky

relm1

Prokofiev
Shostakovich
Rachmaninoff
Rimsky-Korsakov
Schnittke
Lyadov
Scriabin
Tcherepnin
Stravinsky
Weinberg
Mussorgsky

Some general observations:
* I really love the mystical/quasi impressionist Russian period of the late 19th an early 20th century and am always on the look out for those gems.  You get some of it in Tchaikovsky but it seems to peak with Rimsky-Korsakov and Lyadov.
* Some incredibly great composers are underrepresented due to non-musical reasons.  I think Popov and Mosolov fall in that category.  Oh what might have been if they became exiled or something but operated under greater creative freedom.    In contrast though, some composers seemed to have excelled in those same conditions so maybe it's a wash.

Florestan

Quote from: relm1 on June 16, 2023, 06:19:47 AMI really love the mystical/quasi impressionist Russian period of the late 19th an early 20th century and am always on the look out for those gems. 

Try Vladimir Rebikov. He claimed having invented the mystical chord before Scriabin and was quite embittered by the lack of recognition. An eccentric person but the music (mostly solo piano) should be right up your alley. (I like it myself)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

joachim

For me :

Arenski
Borodine
Glazunov
Gliere
Ippolitov-Ivanov
Khatchaturian
Kallinikov
Liapunov
Miaskovski
Prokofiev
Rachmaninov
Rimski-Korsakov
Shostakovich
Tchaikovski

vandermolen

Quote from: joachim on June 20, 2023, 01:46:53 AMFor me :

Arenski
Borodine
Glazunov
Gliere
Ippolitov-Ivanov
Khatchaturian
Kallinikov
Liapunov
Miaskovski
Prokofiev
Rachmaninov
Rimski-Korsakov
Shostakovich
Tchaikovski
Nice list!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Yeah, this is too hard. I have too many Russians that I know a bit, quite a lot but still undecided, or not at all. I don't yet feel ready to include some of the glaring, glaring omissions.

DSCH
Glazunov
Myaskovsky
Borodin
Balakirev
Pavlova
Prokofiev
Kalinnikov
Sergei Taneyev
Anton Rubinstein
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

atardecer

Stravinsky
Prokofiev
Rachmaninoff
Gubaidulina
Scriabin
Schnittke
Mussorgsky
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa